Atheist Congregations

I disagree completely that an Atheist cannot have TRUE compassion without God. I have met tons of people who are not bible believers that live selfless lifes.
Show me one please. In my entire life I have met none. According to scripture there are none.

Matt 7:18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jer 17:9 The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?

Last edited:
I think the problem is the word "True". There is compassion in this world, I am not sure about "True Compassion".

Precisely.
Naturally I've met many Atheists who have shown kindness and warmth and even compassion. Nonetheless, if everything good comes from God, and compassion is good, how could their compassion comes from an outside source of God?

Keep in mind that God isn't an additional element to everything created, he is the creator of all elements.

Show me one please. In my entire life I have met none. According to scripture there are none.

Matt 7:18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

John 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jer 17:9 The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?

I see nothing about compassion here. I am judging off of the definition of compassion and taking at more of a surface value

Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others: "the victims should be treated with compassion".

^^That is the dictionary definition of compassion. It is a feeling. A feeling is something that anybody can have regardless of if it is of God or not.

Can an Atheist feel sad? Can an Atheist feel lonely? Can an Atheist feel hurt? Yes, yes and yes. To say that an Atheist cannot feel compassion is to say that they cannot feel an emotion at all.

I feel the compassion subject has been well discussed already. I was specifically referring to your statement
I have met tons of people who are not bible believers that live selfless lives.

As Christians we have a hard time judging ourselves as selfless :notworthy:. I am very curious to hear of / learn of a non-Christians who are selfless. Do you know of some?

I accept that many religious people are trying to be selfless. That's why we generally enjoy discussion with them more then with atheists. They are trying to be good and if you urge them on, they fall for the King of ''good'' and get saved.

But atheists, so difficult as they seem consumed with selfishness.

Seems to me that altruism and compassion are side issues. Two things atheists do not have; Jesus Christ and eternal life.
Let the atheist have buckets and buckets of compassion. If that is the only righteousness they have to bring to the table instead of Christ's righteousness then they might as well front up for judgment empty handed.
As the OP article says "....so, it’s a church without one big player: God." likewise without that one big player there is no eternal life. And that is sad.

I feel the compassion subject has been well discussed already. I was specifically referring to your statement

As Christians we have a hard time judging ourselves as selfless :notworthy:. I am very curious to hear of / learn of a non-Christians who are selfless. Do you know of some?

I accept that many religious people are trying to be selfless. That's why we generally enjoy discussion with them more then with atheists. They are trying to be good and if you urge them on, they fall for the King of ''good'' and get saved.

But atheists, so difficult as they seem consumed with selfishness.

I won't deny that I have met some Atheists that showed a side of altruism. What their motivation was, I'll never know. It could have been for the sake of karma or getting something back (which means it's not really altruistic), or perhaps it was legitimately selfless.

However, to claim altruism, regardless if someone is an Atheist or a Theist, is coming from a source outside of God, then that's something I can't be on board with, only for the reason that nothing good comes from anything other than God. This isn't meant to be some sort of exclusive or elitist attitude, but just a statement of fact.

Seems to me that altruism and compassion are side issues. Two things atheists do not have; Jesus Christ and eternal life.
Let the atheist have buckets and buckets of compassion. If that is the only righteousness they have to bring to the table instead of Christ's righteousness then they might as well front up for judgment empty handed.
As the OP article says "....so, it’s a church without one big player: God." likewise without that one big player there is no eternal life. And that is sad.
I agree. I push the selfless vs selfish action thing though as it is part of how I witness to them.

Atheists are acting outside their realm when doing a selfless act. There is none better then someone who can do a selfless act. Ie, there is none better then Jesus. Ie, Christians are the best people out there. If the unsaved think about it and challenge themselves to do selfless acts they are close to finding God. Along the lines of James 1:27.

Back