Baptism from a Jewish Perspective

Otetiani

Inactive
Baptism from a Jewish Perspective

In Judaism the baptism is known as a Mikvah. I believe that because Christianity came from Judaism it is important to understand what a Mikvah is. Since Christianity has been led mostly by gentiles with very little knowledge of the Jewish religion and culture there is now a lot of misguided debate on the issue of Baptism among Christians. It is my hope that if you come to understand the significance of the Mikvah to the Jew you will see why John the Baptist used it and why Jesus and his disciples used it. It is my hope that this will help with debate, and that it will bring you a whole new understanding of your Lord Jesus. Please do not get hung up on all the Jewish rules when you learn about the Mikvah. These rules were exactly the type of rules referred to by Jesus as a heavy yolk. Just view it within what Jesus did for you and you will have a whole new understanding of his and our connection to the baptism. May the Lord bless you with understanding.
Start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikvah
Then type Mikvah into Google for more understanding. Again be careful of the minute rules. G-d does not care for all of that.

Luke 11:46 And he said, A curse is on you, teachers of the law! for while other men are crushed under the weight of the rules you make for them, you yourselves do not put so much as one finger to them.

Back