baptism

why did john baptize in the river of Jordon
The Jorden River obviously has deep biblical symbolism found in several places in the OT.

For example: the book of Joshua tells us that when the people of Israel were led to the “Promised Land,” Joshua told them they had to cross over the Jorden river to reach it.

Joshua 3:9-13, KJV
9 “And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the Lord your God.

10 And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you, and that he will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites.

11 Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.

12 Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.

13 And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the Lord, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap”.

The people then followed Joshua across the Jordan river and were saved from their enemies and then inherited the Promised Land.

John's baptism of Jesus in the Jorden seems a defining moment in the life of Christ. Perhaps Jesus’ baptism in the Jorden is another example of important events and details in the Old Testament crossing over into, and coming to fruition, in the New Testament.

The Jorden River obviously has deep biblical symbolism found in several places in the OT.

For example: the book of Joshua tells us that when the people of Israel were led to the “Promised Land,” Joshua told them they had to cross over the Jorden river to reach it.

Joshua 3:9-13, KJV
9 “And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the Lord your God.

10 And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you, and that he will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Girgashites, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites.

11 Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.

12 Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.

13 And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the Lord, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap”.

The people then followed Joshua across the Jordan river and were saved from their enemies and then inherited the Promised Land.

John's baptism of Jesus in the Jorden seems a defining moment in the life of Christ. Perhaps Jesus’ baptism in the Jorden is another example of important events and details in the Old Testament crossing over into, and coming to fruition, in the New Testament.
very well possible but john 3:35 gives the reason much water

I believe, but could be wrong, that the river Jorden, was a type of death to self and showing that it was for the cleansing through repentance because it was a boundary and a crossing point, a metaphor for spiritual rebirth and salvation, and a source of outward obedience of an inward work. And John had to baptize in the Jordan because he had the Spirit of Elijah who also was used by God in the Jordan river!

I believe, but could be wrong, that the river Jorden, was a type of death to self and showing that it was for the cleansing through repentance because it was a boundary and a crossing point, a metaphor for spiritual rebirth and salvation, and a source of outward obedience of an inward work. And John had to baptize in the Jordan because he had the Spirit of Elijah who also was used by God in the Jordan river!

That does make a lot of sense to me Derek.

Ding-ding-ding........we have a winner!

First, it was such a sacred river to the faith as just stated!.
Second, John lived in the wilderness around the river.
Third, that's where John was influenced into the foundations of baptism in the first place.

that is what baptism is all about
--woman

Genesis 2:23

King James Version

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

its technical thing more of having fun

that is what baptism is all about

--woman

Genesis 2:23​

King James Version​

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

its technical thing more of having fun
Interesting.
I never looked up the symbolic name before.

So Eve woman means

Chavah/Havah - chavah, to breathe, and chayah, to live, or to give life )

Is this correct?

I got it from wiki here:-

Ive read a bit about Lilith. Supposedly a succubus that parents threatened their children with if they didnt mind. Much more to the story but thats a part of it.
Short synopsis of the MYTH of Lilith:

She was created from the same dirt in the same way as Adam.
She resented Adam (or at least resented his primacy)
She left Eden to live at / in a sea
She consorted with fallen angels.

There are conceptual problems with her resentment of Adam prior to The Fall.

Some say that her creation was recorded in Gen 1:27 while Eve's was recorded in Gen 2:21,22. (Actually Genesis 2 is a retelling of Genesis 1 from a more detailed manner as it relates to man).

Some say Isaiah 34:14 refers to her (KJV renders "screech owl"; NASB renders "night monster" with a note that in "Heb Lilith")

(Olive Tree Enhanced Strong's Dictionary)
h3917. לִילִית lîylîyṯ; from 3915; a night spectre: — screech owl.

From what I read, this was a myth common to many creation stories in the Near East.

The key is that this is a MYTH.

By the way, when I was discussing the difference between behaving morally and being saved by Christ with one who professed to be a wiccan, she brought up Lilith as an example,

Back