Batter Breads

Batter Breads

I am 30 years old and just discovered batter breads -- breads made with yeast that require no kneading. :eek: And I love them! Since there are so many experienced cooks on this forum, I want all of your best batter bread recipes.

I grew up in a home with a mother who never cooked. Well, she cooked, but no one liked it nor ate it. :p She was not a gourmet cook by any means, and had no clue what herbs and spices are for, nor how to make things taste palatable. At the ripe age of 12, I began taking over all the cooking, since she also went back into the workforce at that time. I'd come home from school and work on making dinner. I soon discovered the joyous world of cookbooks that had lots of scrumptious things to make. Then I discovered the wonderful world of cooking shows on television. I was unstoppable. Being a person who has always loved to eat, I was suddenly discovering that I could make good food and home cooking didn't have to taste like mom's. My brother and father gobbled my dishes up and to this day when I visit, I am the one who cooks. As an adult I discovered bread baking..... with kneading, and kneading, and hours to rise, etc. Then I was really unstoppable. I could even spend a grand total of 7 hours making the perfect croissant to go along with dinner....... but now, 3 kids later and who has time for that?!?!?!??!

Since developing this dairy allergy, I have been forced back into bread making because all store bought breads have milk except for nasty ones that I pretend to like. If i make my own, then I can substitute rice milk. The other day I happened upon a batter bread. It was a herb one, and I gave it a try. It was delicious. Today I googled up a recipe for honey biscuits. Mmmmm they were soooo good. I didn't even have to put any butter on them because they were scrumptious enough without. Now I am really ready to conquer the world, so bring it on! Give me your best batter bread recipes!

I think that is wonderful that you taught yourself to be such a good cook!

Have you visited here?
http://www.recipelink.com
Lots and lots of recipes!!!

Bookworm,
I am a man under orders.
My wife has instructed me to ask for your honey biscuits and batter bread recipe.
Please

:D:D Good move Ray- LOL!

I want to say that if my wife wasn't one of the most awesome cooks on the planet I would be a little skinnier!;)

Here are the Honey Biscuits:
INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 3-1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 pkg. active dry yeast
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 egg white

In a large saucepan, combine milk, oil, 3 tablespoons butter, and honey until butter melts and mixture is very warm. In large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, yeast, salt, egg, and egg yolk along with warm milk mixture.
Beat with a mixer for 3 minutes. Then add the remaining 1-3/4 cups flour and beat for 2 minutes longer. The dough will be very soft and sticky.
Cover bowl and let the dough rise until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Grease 2-8" round cake pans with unsalted butter or solid shortening or spray with cooking spray containing flour.
Stir down dough, beating for 1 minute. Then drop the dough by tablespoons into a single layer in each prepared pan, forming 10 rolls per pan.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, 2 Tbsp. butter, 2 Tbsp. honey, and egg white and mix well. Drizzle half of this mixture over the rolls. Then cover the rolls and let rise again in a warm place until doubled in size. Drizzle remaining topping over rolls. Then bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/goldenhoneyroll.htm

This is the Herb Bread:
(It was from Betty Crocker)

Ingredients:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 package regular or quick active dry yeast

1 1/4 cups very warm water
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. shortening (I use margerine instead)
1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh, or 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh, or 1/4 tsp. dried thyme

Grease bottom and sides of 8X4 or 9X5 inch loaf pan with shortening or spray with cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt, and yeast. Add warm water, parsley, shortening, rosemary, and thyme. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in remaining 1 cup flour until smooth.

Spread batter evenly in pan. Round top of loaf by patting with floured hands. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that was sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Let rise in warm place about 40 minutes until dough has doubled in size.
Heat over to 375 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove to wire rack. If desired, brush top of loaf with butter and sprinkle with additional herbs.

My hubby didn't like the herb bread as much. I did. I loved it. It made me want to dip it in herbed olive oil, but I was fresh out of olive oil so I ate it plain.

He did love the honey biscuits. He was saying that I could wake up and make them every morning for him for breakfast. :rolleyes::p

In the recipes, I substitute margarine for shortening, and rice milk for milk.

Back