Be Careful Little Ears What You Hear

Matthew 7:21 (NASB) "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter
the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of My Father who is
in heaven will enter."

Listening to preaching is an excellent way to learn and grow spiritually
and to help me keep my mind on the things of God.
But should I be careful which preachers I listen to?
Aren't all those who are famous or well-known preachers of sound doctrine?
What do you say about choosing the right preacher?

**Please provide good counsel and not just a "yes; no; choose wisely" answer approach.
***Discussion is the goal with an end result of teaching and learning. As per forum rules
any derogatory statements of an individual or entity should be supported with strong evidence.

The best teacher is God Almighty. All others must quote from his words and aid in their understanding and application.

When we are babes we greatly need the help of God and others to nurture us in the truth. God's word is the very source of any sound doctrine. As we grow spiritually, it's my opinion, we need to rely more and more on our own study of God's word supplementing it with what God's Spirit leads men to preach and in our fellowship as we sharpen one another.

Without a sound basis of understanding in God's word it is easy to be led astray. I first trust in God to lead me to the truth, as well as to lead me to shepherds that understand God's word rightly dividing it.

So, to answer your questions. I feel it is necessary to take notes and write down scriptures so that one can review what was said by any preacher. Formulate questions and dig deeper on one's own. We as Christians are at various stages in spiritual maturity and those that we hear may have greater influence good or bad when we are babes.

Just to with what Cperkins has said incase you did not know that doctrine is another word for knowledge. 1108. gnósis

In the bible it shares towards us 2 Peter 3:18. Very useful scripture for people who are learning to continue to grow in their knowledge of God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the truth.

II Peter 3:18 (NASB) - "but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of
eternity. Amen."

II Peter 3:18 (KJV) - "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord
and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen."

The best teacher is God Almighty. All others must quote from his words and aid in their understanding and application.

When we are babes we greatly need the help of God and others to nurture us in the truth. God's word is the very source of any sound doctrine. As we grow spiritually, it's my opinion, we need to rely more and more on our own study of God's word supplementing it with what God's Spirit leads men to preach and in our fellowship as we sharpen one another.

Without a sound basis of understanding in God's word it is easy to be led astray. I first trust in God to lead me to the truth, as well as to lead me to shepherds that understand God's word rightly dividing it.

So, to answer your questions. I feel it is necessary to take notes and write down scriptures so that one can review what was said by any preacher. Formulate questions and dig deeper on one's own. We as Christians are at various stages in spiritual maturity and those that we hear may have greater influence good or bad when we are babes.
I completely agree with every word you said in thay post CPerkins
Forever searching, forever learning.

Hello Cosia;

Well said! Forever searching, forever learning caught my little ears. And if I may say, Forever searching, forever learning can be fun.

God bless you for that saying.
Hi bobinfaith
It can be scary too, because you see yourself.
But I ag ree it is mostly fun, and gives you great joy.
Sometimes I can't be sure of understanding something. All of a sudden, sometimes after a long time The Holy Spirit explains it to me. I love it when that happens. God is so gracious.

God Almighty is the best teacher, true, but God Almighty put teachers in His Body for the edification of the saints.(Eph 4:11-12).

I tend to look for two qualities in a preacher/teacher.
1. Does he honor God's Word?
2. Is he cross-centered?

There are other points I may look at but those are two biggies that readily come to mind.

Hello Cosia;

Well said! Forever searching, forever learning caught my little ears. And if I may say, Forever searching, forever learning can be fun.

God bless you for that saying.
Yes in that way all belivers are on a learning curve . No student is above God the one teaching master .

Just to with what Cperkins has said incase you did not know that doctrine is another word for knowledge. 1108. gnósis

In the bible it shares towards us 2 Peter 3:18. Very useful scripture for people who are learning to continue to grow in their knowledge of God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the truth.

I would offer.

Rightly dividing the doctrine of God from that of the doctrines of men is very useful when trying the spirits as to where they were inspired from as doctrines of men or God not seen.

The unbelieving Jew are used to represent faithless mankind .they turned the proper order of inspiration upside down as if inspired from earth .

In doing so they take away the understanding of the Potter . The confusion witnessed with all sects that serve a hierarchy of men as law of the fathers, kings, and princes (pagan foundation) They lord it over the faith of the non-venerable In doing so take from the doctrines of God

Isaiah 29:16 Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

Even most translations turned the doctrines of God it upside down .Those who do have the point of inspiration from earth (Rome or Jerusalem) are quick to accept the mis- interpretation like below. And therefore give the key (flesh and blood has not revealed it ) Giving it to Peter (flesh and blood. )

The King James turn the order upside down

Mathew !6: 19 (KJ) And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth "shall be bound in heaven:" and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The Young’s literal translation sets it right side up

Mathew !6: 19 (YLT) and I will give to thee the keys of the reign of the heavens, and whatever thou mayest bind upon the earth shall be having been bound in the heavens, and whatever thou mayest loose upon the earth shall be having been loosed in the heavens.'

Deuteronomy 32 provides the correct direction of inspiration . Listen God is speaking from above . . hear what he says those on earth, the living seed of His word as it works in our new hearts.

Deuteronomy 32:1-2 Young's Literal Translation (YLT) `Give ear, O heavens, and I speak; And thou dost hear, O earth, sayings of my mouth! Drop as rain doth My doctrine; Flow as dew doth My sayings; As storms on the tender grass, And as showers on the herb,

The living water of the word by which he washes his bride the church .As husabnd we have the same comandment .Wash our wifes with the doctrines of God that fall like rain or dew .

Back