Beginners Comments On The Book Of Matthew!

Great to see the verses that had a special impact on you Caveman. :) And it is good to see a new Christian reading the Gospels for themselves. Blessings to you.

I find that Mark and Luke are books that complement Matthew and fill in areas and tell the story from a slightly different perspective. You will probably find then\m very similar to Matthew. The Book of John however is different from the other 3 in a way that can only be appreciated when it is read.

I hope you continue to read through all the gospels and then continue into the letters of the apostles. The Holy Spirit revealed much more about the Way of Jesus through the Apostles. Reading them will help you grow greatly.

Always remember that it is God through the Holy Spirit that opens up understanding in us. Read and seek diligently but always remember that the true opening of understanding does not come from our seeking efforts. It comes when the Holy Spirit rewards our seeking by opening up the message to us.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Thanks for the advice and kind words Adstar! :)

Wow. Caveman you have a gift.
The gift of discernment.
Your hard work and attention to detail show in your apologetics.

One of your best observations in my opinion.

Isn't it interesting how a thought can spring up in a second, and before we know it it has left our lips and can never be taken back.

I am curious, now that you have studied Matthew, I wonder what you plan to go to next, and why.
:)

Hi CSchultz,

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I appreciate it. I am not sure what apologetics is - do you mean my own personal comments that I wrote?

My plan is to read Mark, Luke and John so I can complete the gospels. After that I would like to come back and have a discussion about where I should go with you guys. Ther is no real reason why I have picked the gospels in that order except that is the way I remember them when I say them! :D

Hey caveman,

Its really AMAZING to see how you have grown spiritually in your faith and walk with God...:) Always great to see someone do that!!

Ive had a read through half the way and its great to see how each of those verses do relate to you in your life...You are on the way to going somewhere great with God...

Ill keep reading on when i can...

God Bless you man
Jake

Hey Jake,

I want to thank you personally as your faith has been a great inspiration to me and your friendship has helped me get to where I am so thanks alot mate! :)

Thanks for your comments and feedback. I appreciate it. I am not sure what apologetics is - do you mean my own personal comments that I wrote?
Yes, precicely.
Your expression of, or defense of the faith based on the Word of God.
(Bet you didn't know you were an apologist did you!)

It comes from the Greek word "apologia" meaning to take on certain points, or arguments, or positions on a specific topic. (In this case the Book of Matthew.)

And now my friend, you are not only a fine "apologist" but you are also an "etymologist"! :cool:

(And you thought you were just reading the Book of Matthew!) :D

My plan is to read Mark, Luke and John so I can complete the gospels. After that I would like to come back and have a discussion about where I should go with you guys.
That sounds like a fine plan of action.
As you continue, may I offer you a little something to think about as you read the Gospels.

You just read Matthew's account. Remember, Matthew, (Matthew is called "Levi" in Mark and Luke) was the tax collector. Tax collectors were not known as the most honest of people during that period.

He was writing to the Jews.
The Jews understood that the Messiah would come from the Davidic lineage. (Son of David, Son of Abraham...)
If you go back to the beginning of the book of Matthew, you will see how he made this Davidic lineage very clear in the geneology.

Now, compare the beginning of Matthew with the beginning of Luke.
Luke was a physician, he was extremely well educated as is also apparent in his writing. (FYI, Luke also wrote the book of Acts.)

The book of Luke is more about God's grace, whereas Matthew was more about proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah.
Notice that Lukes geneology takes Jesus not just back to David, but back to Adam. (The beginning of grace) Gods grace after the fall.

Mark and John are unique for several reasons, one is that neither contain the nativity.
Mark 13 is known as the "Little Apocalypse." And chapters 8-10 contain the passion prediction.

The Synoptic Gospels, (Matthew Mark Luke) all begin with the life of Jesus. (Matthew=Jesus birth) (Mark=Jesus baptism) (Luke=John the Baptist)
John begins with creation.
You will also notice as you read John, that he seldom mentions any miracles. His emphasis is on the deity of Christ.

Blessings to you in your studies!

Hi CSchultz!

Thanks so much for all that info. There is just so much I dont know. I really appreciate your efforts in helping me! :D

Thanks so much for all that info.
Any time.

There is just so much I dont know.
I have some news for you. The more you learn, the more you will realize that you don't know! :D
But don't worry, you're in good company.

I really appreciate your efforts in helping me!
You can return the favor. (That's one of the best lessons in this living and glorious Word of God.)

1 Corinthians 13:13 :groupray:

Well done Caveman!

Wait until you study the gospel of Mathew again! The Holy Spirit will reveal new things to you which you never saw the first time. This is the amazing thing about the bible, everytime we read it, we read the very word of God and it speaks to us in the situation we are in at the time.

Mathew contains one of the most preached sections of scripture in history. The sermon on the Mount. If we had no other books in the bible and only the 'Sermon on the mount' it would be sufficient to learn to live a righteous life.

What you have done incredibly well, is not only to read the gospel of Mathew but you have managed to apply it to your life!

My favourite gospel is the gospel of Luke, probably because he was a doctor and historian and records events in incredible detail, but I am sure you will have a favourite of your own when you are finished.

I pray that God will continue to bless you as you study His word.

Well done!

Thanks Kevin! I have alot of reading to do before I get back to Matthew though! :)

I do look forward to going through the gospels and getting a real feel for them!

Hey Jake,

I want to thank you personally as your faith has been a great inspiration to me and your friendship has helped me get to where I am so thanks alot mate! :)

Brad my friend,

You are welcome...The same goes from here...Personally i feel all the glory goes to God. He is the one who connected us and used me as an instrument to pour out my faith into your heart. I could have never helped you out on my own...:)

Blessed be the name of the Lord :fish:

Jake

Matthew's Gospel, while in many ways the most Jewish of the Gospels,
emphasizes God's love and grace for all people.

At the beginning ofJesus' life on earth, he is welcomed by foreigners, Magi, who come frommany miles away to worship him.

At the end of Jesus' life on earth, hechallenges his disciples to go tell every nation about him and his good news, baptizing them and welcoming them into God's family.

Even in the genealogy of Jesus, Matthew prepares us for the fact that, by God's grace, all people can be included in God's family. In the lineage of
great King David, and the Messiah Jesus, is a Gentile woman. Her name
is Ruth, and her story is a marvelous story of God's grace and the
faithful heart that finds its home in the God of Israel.

Back