Believing In Vs Believing About

I believe (along with others) there can be no true atheism, regardless the sincerity of such a profession! Children are void of doubting God’s reality when addressed concerning it, and adults always know of it. This is “the light of men . . . which lighteth every man that cometh into the world (Jhn 1:4, 9). I believe the “light” here means that God “shews” us His reality in our conscience—via the material world:

“For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven.” “Because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.” “Since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made.” “Although they knew God, they did not glorify Him” (Rom 1:18, 19, 20, 21). “Even though they did not like to retain God in their knowledge” (v 28), “they are without excuse” (v 20).

John Gill on John 1:9:

“It is best therefore to understand these words of the light of nature, and reason, which Christ, as the word, and Creator and light of men, gives to every man that is born into the world; and which serves to detect the Quakers' notion of the light within, which every man has, and is no other than the light of a natural conscience; and shows how much men, even natural men, are obliged to Christ, and how great a person he is, and how deserving of praise, honor, and glory. The phrase, "every man that cometh into the world", is Jewish, and often to be met with in Rabbinical writings, and signifies all men that are born into the world.”

Since everything we see gives us the undeniable (e.g. “clearly seen”) knowledge of God’s reality, knowing that God is real is not an issue of faith, but of knowledge! During their deliverance and travels many of God’s people knew He was real but chose not trust in Him (Heb 3:12, 18, 19; 4:2, 6, 11). James (partly in opposition to the polytheism of the Gentiles) wrote that if, “Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble” (2:19). The phrase “doest well” is not in reference to doing good but to merely being accurate, right or correct. In this sense we are discussing believing about God, not believing in God.

There is only one alternative when not trusting in God—“suppressing” the knowledge of Him (Rom 1:18)!

It seems like many people are actually "deists".. They believe that something is out there - but who/what is indeterminate....

Ironically, I am seeing many people engaging in "do it yourself religion" - where they assemble bits and pieces of religions and philosophies into some sort of "spiritualism" belief system.

This surprised me until I learned a bit about ancient paganism.... And realized that this do-it-yourself pieces and parts "religion" is simply ancient paganism

It has been pointed out by many that every person will worship SOMETHING.

Some worship other Gods. Some worship a social cause. Some worship money. Some worship their profession. Some worship themselves.

Some of the things worshiped could be considered 'good' or 'deserving', and within limited bounds they may be. But the bounds are always limited.

There is a significant difference between worshiping something because it reflects one's own desires and following the tug of the Spirit and worshiping the Lord of Hosts as HE leads.

Our Lord is boundless in Location, Time, Circumstance, Love.

A bigger picture underpinning this is people's search for meaning....

People seek meaning in their lives.. Actual atheists and deists are not excluded from this fact......

I honestly think people's search for meaning is currently one of our greatest opportunities to present Jesus and The Gospel. The whole "heaven and hell" discussion simply fails to resonate with people these days... But the pain and emptiness in their lives IS a significant concern to them..... And the modern society continues to leave people empty and unfulfilled...

I honestly think people's search for meaning is currently one of our greatest opportunities to present Jesus and The Gospel. The whole "heaven and hell" discussion simply fails to resonate with people these days... But the pain and emptiness in their lives IS a significant concern to them..... And the modern society continues to leave people empty and unfulfilled...
I see what you mean, and it doesn't matter what's presented if the person is not being drawn, because only those who will be saved are those listening!

Blessings!

Back