Best version to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best version to read?

What is the best version of The Bible to read? I've noticed some comments lately online that say the NIV which i listen to online should be avoided.

What do you recommend?

I personally use two bibles the King James Version and The Christian Holman Standard Bible. I choose not to use the NIV but that just my opinion for my studies from time to time I will use the translation.

I just purchased the "Life Principles Bible" from Charles Stanley. I have been so uplifted by his comments on different passages.... although I go the the King James and the NIV and the NCV to compare.

Oh and by the way James welcome to the forum.:welcome::welcome::welcome:

I understand the KJV is the most accurate, I have the NIV version.

If you are hard of hearing, I recommend the Amplified Version :p

B2LY:

If you are going to go out to a Christian Book Store to purchase a King James Version, may I please just suggest that you consider "The Companion Bible" as well?

It is a full King James Version, but it also contains margin and tabulated "companion" notes about word meanings in the original languages an well as historically verifyable time lines of certain Biblical happenings and also contains 198 Appendixes in the rear of the Bible that will help you with your studies and give you a much better understanding of God's Word than just a King James Version alone. Thank you.

There are indeed as many opinions on this subject as Baskin and Robbins Ice Cream Palours have flavours!:D

I just bought a NKJV Study Bible today.. just before I went to the dentist. I really like NKJV the best. I hear a lot of people "dissing" the NIV. Why is that?

I just bought a NKJV Study Bible today.. just before I went to the dentist. I really like NKJV the best. I hear a lot of people "dissing" the NIV. Why is that?
I think it's because they have perfected the art of versatility with no real concern for accuracy. (men's version, women's version, student version, gender-neutral version, and the list goes on).

Because of an outcry from the translating community, they had to withdraw their gender-neutral version from sale, and because they had gone too far with it, they lost their reputation for integrity, which they had for so many years.
They are now trying to repent with the TNIV.

I think the plain NIV itself is OK though, is is not better or worse than any other.
(The NIV was my first Bible, from the Gideons :))

For those who wish to read just one of MANY such reviews of the New International Version and why it does not have much favor with most Christians, I am providing a link to an in-depth review from a Baptist denominational writer. You can GOOGLE "Review: NIV Bible" for many more such criticisms.

http://www.av1611.org/niv.html

Those publishers who change the original Word of God through deliberate bias and 'political correctness' are no friends to Christian Bible Students. This NIV 'version' is just one of many that do not even resemble the Original words from the Hebrew, Aramaic, Chaldean and 'street' Greek manuscript texts and are deliberately misleading. I can not substantiate this (yet), but my personal opinion is that the NIV was produced by non-Christians or even Kenites.

Try reading Acts 8:37 in the NIV. You might find it rather difficult (to find). Then read it in another translation. You will see how important it is. There are many more examples of this in the NIV.

I use the NIV for reading, but when I study the bible I use the KJ, NKJ and NLT.

There are different ways to translate the bible, one is to translate directly word for word and the other is to translate the meaning of the text. Hebrew is a very poetical language and to translate directly into another language one might miss the meaning and the emotion of the original text. An excellent bible which really captures the emotions and feelings of the writers is the Message, but do not use it for study purposes.

The best is to use different translations at once when studying, then one tends to get a better understanding of the word of God. Always pray for God to give you understanding when reading or studying the bible.

Ask God what He wants you to learn from His word. His word is a double edged sword and can really speak into your life.

While I had no trouble reading the NIV I did find it a bit bland. It is written on about an 8th grade reading level so it is easy to digest but doesn't seem to have the "flavor and richness " of some of the other translations, Still not a bad read though and I am not sorry to have read it.
In all honesty if you do a web search you will find at least some folks critical of every translation.

Pastor Gary:
I think, personally, that you're a little harsh with the version.
I speak in pure objectivity.
The link you provided is a lot more bias than the NIV itself.....
Besides that, PG :

Kevin:
Try reading this verse with the Darby translation, and you will get the very same result, as it applies to many other versions too, just as the comment found on PG's link.

Over the years, I have read so many so called documentaries about Bible versions, and it comes down to only two things:

1)- The translation of the original Hebrew and Greek has absolutely nothing to do with the criticism, because it's not how they choose to translate that's the problem, but rather which text they choose for their versions.
Some use the Byzantine, some the Wescott and Hort, some the Alexandrian, some the Scrivener, and some choose others or a mixture of them all.
These versions are not deficiant in their translations, they are deficient in their choice of text. For all the critics, I say: Discuss the original documents instead of bashing your chosen version.

2)- Since all the versions using the text which is deemed deficient are by default deficient because of it, instead of bashing the accurate translation of the text, why don't they bash the original text instead, since after all, it is where the deficiency lies?????
It seem that they have a dislike for something else, and in that case, as per the link, their target seem to be Zondervand. and they do it with some eloquance too.
report.gif

So why don't they say it straight?

You will find that as part of my translation, I use ALL original texts available, and annote the differences within the text, so that all can see. There is no need in translation to be bias, but to present the reader with all alternatives which are available, so THEY can make the choice...

Much love.

The Anvil¾God's Word.
Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith's door
And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime:
Then looking in, I saw upon the floor
Old hammers, worn with beating years of time.

"How many anvils have you had," said I,
"To wear and batter all these hammers so?"
"Just one," said he, and then, with twinkling eye,
"The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."

And so, thought I, the anvil of God's word,
For ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
Yet though the noise of falling blows was heard,
The anvil is unharmed . . . the hammer's gone.
Author unknown

B2LY:

If you are going to go out to a Christian Book Store to purchase a King James Version, may I please just suggest that you consider "The Companion Bible" as well?

It is a full King James Version, but it also contains margin and tabulated "companion" notes about word meanings in the original languages an well as historically verifyable time lines of certain Biblical happenings and also contains 198 Appendixes in the rear of the Bible that will help you with your studies and give you a much better understanding of God's Word than just a King James Version alone. Thank you.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am soooo leery of many of today's versions due to the amount of changes they must make to obtain a copyright and the many different transcripts out there that are used. I've always stuck to the KJV, but will be purchasing The Companion Bible very soon. There's an online version here if anyone would like to take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back