BIBLE DOCTRINE - WHAT IS IT????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word translated “doctrine” means “instruction, especially as it applies to lifestyle application.”

In other words, doctrine is teaching imparted by an authoritative source. In the Bible, the word always refers to spiritually related fields of study. The Bible says of itself that it is “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” in 2 Timothy 3:16. We are to be careful about what we believe and present as truth.

Biblical doctrine helps us understand the will of God for our lives. Biblical doctrine teaches us the nature and the character of God and the path of salvation, instruction for the church, and God’s standard of holiness for our lives. When we accept the Bible as God’s Word to us, we have a solid foundation for our doctrine. There can be disagreement within the body of Christ over secondary points of doctrine, such as eschatology, church organization, or the gifts of the Holy Spirit. But truly biblical doctrine is that which incorporates the “whole counsel of God” (Acts 20:27) and draws conclusions based on that which seems most closely aligned with the character of our unchanging God.

However, the Bible is not always the foundation upon which people or churches build their doctrinal statements. Our sinful natures do not easily submit to God’s decrees, so we often pick and choose the parts of the Bible we are comfortable with and discard the rest. That is called "CAFETERIA CHRISTIANITY" Or we replace what God says with a man-made doctrine or tradition.

2 Timothy 4:3 tells that ...............
“For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.”

Can you name a few things we have set up as DOCTRINE which in fact have no basis in the Bible at all?????

Allow me to start this with an example ........"ALTER CALLS."

While there is certainly nothing wrong with "coming forward" to publicly tell people about your commitment to Jesus Christ, it is also not a requirement and has NO basis in Bible doctrine. The early church had NO alters and in fact has to church building at all. It is a practice that actually began with evangelist Billy Sunday and popularized by Dr. Billy Graham in his crusades. IT has now morphed into something that HAS TO BE DONE. Does it?

Many of these things start out as positives, but the doctrines or standard practices loom larger than their meanings.

Alter Calls are like this.

We are all creatures of habit. When we back up our understanding and belief with a physical action it reinforces.

But the danger is that we will mistake the action as the key when it is only the tool.

Many of these things start out as positives, but the doctrines or standard practices loom larger than their meanings.

Alter Calls are like this.

We are all creatures of habit. When we back up our understanding and belief with a physical action it reinforces.

But the danger is that we will mistake the action as the key when it is only the tool.
Agreed.

The danger of alter calls is that later, that person might place his salvation on the idea......"I walked down the isle at church".

I have seen well meaning brothers who insist that if you did not say a specific prayer in a specific way (for example 'the sinners prayer) you have not truly repented become a child of God.

They make a point of each of several key points within the prayer and say that you must pray each of them in order for it to be effective. The points are good, and I would say that each of them is part of a complete understanding of what salvation is, and whence it comes. But the idea that you must follow their particular formula or you are not truly saved is wrong.

I have seen well meaning brothers who insist that if you did not say a specific prayer in a specific way (for example 'the sinners prayer) you have not truly repented become a child of God.

They make a point of each of several key points within the prayer and say that you must pray each of them in order for it to be effective. The points are good, and I would say that each of them is part of a complete understanding of what salvation is, and whence it comes. But the idea that you must follow their particular formula or you are not truly saved is wrong.
Yes......I have seen the very same thing!

Also, have you heard of ............"Praying Through"!????

Major, I am new to this topic, but would you say that doing what feels good is a false doctrine?
Well........."Doing what feels good" is not a doctrine at all.

Usually, what feels good is "sensual" which makes it of the flesh and that always comes from Stan....not God!

This is the case in many false churches today that just preach false teachings that are just there to arouse the flesh or make the flesh feel good. That leads to "happy, excited and aroused" people but that is not Holiness and seperation from sin. When the effects of sin are no longer preached then you will have a church full of "Christianeets" taught by "Sermonettes" by many false teachers today which is sad indeed.

doctrine is teaching imparted by an authoritative source. In the Bible, the word always refers to spiritually related fields of study. The Bible says of itself that it is “profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” in 2 Timothy 3:16. We are to be careful about what we believe and present as truth. Biblical doctrine helps us understand the will of God for our lives.
Allow me to start this with an example ........"ALTER CALLS."
Many of these things start out as positives, but the doctrines or standard practices loom larger than their meanings. Alter Calls are like this. We are all creatures of habit. When we back up our understanding and belief with a physical action it reinforces. But the danger is that we will mistake the action as the key when it is only the tool.

Hello Major and Siloam;

I have made many altar calls for those who want to make a spiritual commitment to Christ by coming forward publicly. An important point I made to the congregation was this is not a written requirement in the Bible.

I always was careful to point out "what is doctrine and what is not," which is to me correct doctrine and responsibility.

God bless
you both, Major and Siloam.

Hello Major and Siloam;

I have made many altar calls for those who want to make a spiritual commitment to Christ by coming forward publicly. An important point I made to the congregation was this is not a written requirement in the Bible.

I always was careful to point out "what is doctrine and what is not," which is to me correct doctrine and responsibility.

God bless
you both, Major and Siloam.
I did an alter calls as well. We always had several people who sat close to the front and if and when someone came forward, they would take that person to a room behind the stage. We would explain the gospel, get their choice and commitment and introduce them the next week through an alter call.

Major, I am new to this topic, but would you say that doing what feels good is a false doctrine?
You do know what they say about feeling good don't you. My wife always said she liked to feel good and it was the secret of our 54 year marriage. She insists that we go out to a restaurant twice a week . A little candlelight, a good dinner, soft music and dancing.
She goes on Friday and I go on Saturday!!!!!

Agreed.

The danger of alter calls is that later, that person might place his salvation on the idea......"I walked down the isle at church".
i have to disagree i %199 support the attar call. . does a person have to go to the altar no.. you can make your attar where you pray. what i am %199 against is repeat this prayer after me.. if God is dealing with you. you will take care of it i call it mass altar call. if you said this pray raise your hand ..i know pronounce you saved. . the old timers called the altar the mourners bench .

I did an alter calls as well. We always had several people who sat close to the front and if and when someone came forward, they would take that person to a room behind the stage. We would explain the gospel, get their choice and commitment and introduce them the next week through an alter call.
sorry no offense not a fan of that. let them get saved at the altar them take them to a room or better yet explain it right there at the altar

sorry no offense not a fan of that. let them get saved at the altar them take them to a room or better yet explain it right there at the altar

No worries. My years of experience has shown me that some people come to the alter out of "excitment" not knowing what it means that got them to the alter. IMHO, a man has to have to gospel explained to them so that they KNOW WHY they are at the alter to be saved.

But that is just me.

i have to disagree i %199 support the attar call. . does a person have to go to the altar no.. you can make your attar where you pray. what i am %199 against is repeat this prayer after me.. if God is dealing with you. you will take care of it i call it mass altar call. if you said this pray raise your hand ..i know pronounce you saved. . the old timers called the altar the mourners bench .

It seems you have misunderstood. NO one has to go down on an alter call. Many do. Many Church members use that time to "Rededicate" themselves to the Lord. Many feel like it is a good time to pray and seek the Lord. We had a team of people who when anyone came forward, prayed with and talked to those at the alter. IF...IF someone said that they wanted to be saved....THEN our team would explain the gospel to them and present them at a later time.

I am not sur what in that process you disagree with. But OK with me if you do. It has worked wonderfully for me and the church for 50 years!

Now.........There is nothing wrong with repeating a sinner's prayer for salvation. In fact, I think that it may very well be a good first step onto the “narrow road that leads to life.” (Matthew 7:14). I also believe and insist on a prayer of COMMITMENT as the 2nd step. But we cannot overlook the fact that the Bible never mentions a sinner's prayer.

Now.........There is nothing wrong with repeating a sinner's prayer for salvation. In fact, I think that it may very well be a good first step onto the “narrow road that leads to life.” (Matthew 7:14). I also believe and insist on a prayer of COMMITMENT as the 2nd step. But we cannot overlook the fact that the Bible never mentions a sinner's prayer.
i disagree with it the sinners prayer is Lord have mercy on me a sinner man , no disrespect but they need to say it on there own.. the night i got saved i said God save me no body led me in a prayer and NO SIR i have Not misunderstood. once again no disrespect to you.. but i dont go along with it..

i disagree with it the sinners prayer is Lord have mercy on me a sinner man , no disrespect but they need to say it on there own.. the night i got saved i said God save me no body led me in a prayer and NO SIR i have Not misunderstood. once again no disrespect to you.. but i dont go along with it..
OK. We stand in disagreement!

Now allow me to ask you...what does a person who has NO idea of what to do or what to say and has never read the Bible DO?

Because YOU did what you did......do you think that should apply to everyone else?

To me.....The sinner’s prayer is a prayer a person prays to God when they understand that they are a sinner and in need of a Savior. Saying a sinner’s prayer will not accomplish anything on its own. A true sinner’s prayer only represents what a person knows, understands, and believes about their sinfulness and need for salvation.

But as you said......you do not agree. No worries Mate!

Now allow me to ask you...what does a person who has NO idea of what to do or what to say and has never read the Bible DO?

Because YOU did what you did......do you think that should apply to everyone else?
they will know i am not saying you cant say just ask him to forgive you or save me..i will make this very plain on where i stand.. i do not agree and nor will i say repeat this prayer after me and your saved. nor will i be part of this stand in the pulpit and say repeat after me. then those who said that raise your hand.
if God is dealing with you the words will come if nothing else in utterance. i seen to many who say they said that prayer and go back . its from the heart not the head the mouth so\peaks . far to much head salvation not of the heart.

you may not agree with me and you may think in comparison to your years of experience i dont know. but see i do know

No worries Mate!

its brother were not in the u.k lol

they will know i am not saying you cant say just ask him to forgive you or save me..i will make this very plain on where i stand.. i do not agree and nor will i say repeat this prayer after me and your saved. nor will i be part of this stand in the pulpit and say repeat after me. then those who said that raise your hand.
if God is dealing with you the words will come if nothing else in utterance. i seen to many who say they said that prayer and go back . its from the heart not the head the mouth so\peaks . far to much head salvation not of the heart.

you may not agree with me and you may think in comparison to your years of experience i dont know. but see i do know

its brother were not in the u.k lol
Years of experience has nothing to do with it brother.....mate.

So....allow me ask you....after you have given the gospel message and a man comes down the isle and stands in front of you, and says-what must I do to be saved????

You stand there and say say.....
"You just stand there and you will eventually know what to say"??
"If God is dealing with you, you will know what to say".

NO. I do not agree in any way with that.

I do however agree with Paul in Romans 10:8-10.............
"But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

The Prayer model I would recommend is........
"Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and I am in need of your grace and salvation. Please forgive me of my sins and cleanse me with your blood. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead three days later. I confess him as my Lord and Savior and ask him to come into my heart and life. Please help me to live for you and follow you every day. In Jesus name, Amen.”

allow me ask you...
NO sir it stops right here at this point. if this keeps going it will only escalate to a level neither one of us wants. i Stand my ground and will not budge . my neck of the woods we use the altar . i have outlined what i feel would feel would be acceptable . i have said all i intend to post. have a good day

NO sir it stops right here at this point. if this keeps going it will only escalate to a level neither one of us wants. i Stand my ground and will not budge . my neck of the woods we use the altar . i have outlined what i feel would feel would be acceptable . i have said all i intend to post. have a good day

Thanks. And to you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back