Bible Study - Giving up.

Hello crossnote;

Do you mean when it comes to studying the Bible?
Which Bible? The Spirit filled Bible, the 10 minute bible, the Economy Bible, Busy Mom's Bible, Jesus Bible, He/She Reads Truth Bible, Life Application Bible, well you get my point. I do think there are sound steps in hermeneutics but too often we are overly reliant on 'techniques, programs and other gimmicky come-ons' rather than the Author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit.

Luke 24:27,32 NKJV
And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. [32] And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"

Which Bible? The Spirit filled Bible, the 10 minute bible, the Economy Bible, Busy Mom's Bible, Jesus Bible, He/She Reads Truth Bible, Life Application Bible, well you get my point. I do think there are sound steps in hermeneutics but too often we are overly reliant on 'techniques, programs and other gimmicky come-ons' rather than the Author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit. Luke 24:27,32 NKJV And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. [32] And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"

Hello crossnote;

You and I both have our approach to studying the Scriptures. At times I have to admit I felt it wasn’t enough to just read the Word. When I first starting reading the Bible it was a chore by itself because I didn’t understand.

When I started using cross reference text books and workshops, as you shared, "reliant on 'techniques, programs and other gimmicky come-ons' rather than the Author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit.” It overwhelmed me and studying was no fun.

In time I got a grip and learned the other cookie cutter programs added only as a cross reference to the Bible but could not take the place of God’s Word. I also came to my senses that reading the Bible is a pleasant understanding of my burning heart
knowing God is speaking to me and growing my knowledge.

In the meantime, others will maintain their own system of studying the Word and I get it, but their system shouldn’t be overwhelming or discouraging. What little or much we retain, God can take that and use us to reach others for Christ.

a study bible has comments of scripture and many times back ground info.. a reference Bible has a center column example john 3:16 for verse 16 it might have A 1st Corinthian 13:2 . it would reference to a scriptura that talks about God love .i will take a picture show you this is what ui am talking about

384545846_855047725885305_7715023642224020992_n.jpg

I felt it wasn’t enough to just read the Word.
i have my reading time familiarize my self with the scripture... them my study time i research in many ways .many times i research what words mean.. such as jesus drawing us its reference to a type attraction drawing much like when we saw our wifes

When I started using cross reference text books and workshops, as you shared, "reliant on 'techniques, programs and other gimmicky come-ons' rather than the Author of Scripture, the Holy Spirit.” It overwhelmed me and studying was no fun.
I love using cross references, TSK, Thompson Chain etc. and find them quite useful. I also cut my teeth on the Bible doing topical studies via the 67th book of the Bible called Concordance. :)

Last edited:
In the meantime, others will maintain their own system of studying the Word and I get it, but their system shouldn’t be overwhelming or discouraging. What little or much we retain, God can take that and use us to reach others for Christ.
I think what irks me a bit about the 'gimicky come-ons' is their not necessarily true promises they attach to their techniques.e.g. "If you follow this plan, you will have a better grasp of God and enjoy a faithful walk" This is not necessarily so, God may have other 'plans', like drag us through a desert where we don't know up from down. Who knows One plants another waters but it is God who gives the increase. (1Cor3:7)

I think what irks me a bit about the 'gimicky come-ons' is their not necessarily true promises they attach to their techniques.e.g. "If you follow this plan, you will have a better grasp of God and enjoy a faithful walk" This is not necessarily so, God may have other 'plans', like drag us through a desert where we don't know up from down. Who knows One plants another waters but it is God who gives the increase. (1Cor3:7)

I'm afraid this is so true, crossnote. My wife and I attended a huge marriage conference one year. About 2300 attended. We sat for 3 days while a group of ministers with their published books were up front behind a pulpit stand and spoke.

Each one spoke about increasing our faith in marriage, prosperity and success in our labor and personal needs. They all wore nice suits, dresses with jewelry jingling. Each one said if we follow their book (purchase their book) then we would attain much more success in our marriage.

At the end of the marriage conference we both agreed that their intentions were good, we did take notes, but the truth is, were they?

We never attended such a marriage conference again and got more productivity when we gathered at small marriage workshops. Our study book was the Bible with a printed outline by the Pastor who led the shop.

I'm afraid this is so true, crossnote. My wife and I attended a huge marriage conference one year. About 2300 attended. We sat for 3 days while a group of ministers with their published books were up front behind a pulpit stand and spoke.

Each one spoke about increasing our faith in marriage, prosperity and success in our labor and personal needs. They all wore nice suits, dresses with jewelry jingling. Each one said if we follow their book (purchase their book) then we would attain much more success in our marriage.

At the end of the marriage conference we both agreed that their intentions were good, we did take notes, but the truth is, were they?

We never attended such a marriage conference again and got more productivity when we gathered at small marriage workshops. Our study book was the Bible with a printed outline by the Pastor who led the shop.
Salesmanship, money, notoriety...if we are indeed in what they call the Laodecean age, selling lukewarmness is a natural outflow from such a spirit. Who in ancient times would have thought that lukewarmness could be marketed, but that is indeed a reality in these modern times of ours.

MM

I shared with someone how I do bible study. I thoroughly go to the commentaries, cross references, strongs book concordance, various others to do the study. Write them down in my observations.

Apparently I misunderstand and misapply. I guess when I do it SOAP way. I need something that I can do that's not going to be taxing due to my health [I only have so much energy before I get exhausted and it's difficult to comprehend].

Only way I can be sure is if I study Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum going back to Jewish Roots. I find his material very difficult to understand. I am trying.

I guess soap is a bad way to study. So I guess I will just throw everything out then. Delete and erase my studies. Since I am misunderstanding everything.

I just feel like what's the point if there is only 1 way to study, and Christianity has it all wrong with [only Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum] is right. I am deeply hurt and I don't even want to study anymore. I guess I have it "all wrong." I'm never going to get it :(
I don't know who has been telling you how to study the Bible, but there is no standard method of Bible study for every Christian. Also, I don't know who Fruchtenbaum is, but I don’t think of Jewish rabbis as being authorities for the Christian faith.

The best method and approach to Bible study is the one that brings you closer to God and allows the Holy Spirit to use God's Word to mature you in your faith. I'm praying for you.

Hello TiC;
There is no cookie cutter way to study the Bible. The study approach for some may be different to another. I feel you have set your guide how to approach Bible studies but it’s always good to make adjustments, tapering back research or adding more; as long as you are gaining knowledge of the text. Don’t be discouraged. What is SOAP? When I study I also use cross references but have learned to balance between research and the matter of the subject. I’m keeping you in prayer as you study.
Bob in faith

I don't know who has been telling you how to study the Bible, but there is no standard method of Bible study for every Christian. Also, I don't know who Fruchtenbaum is, but I don’t think of Jewish rabbis as being authorities for the Christian faith. The best method and approach to Bible study is the one that brings you closer to God and allows the Holy Spirit to use God's Word to mature you in your faith. I'm praying for you.

Hello BibleLover;

You share good points and I agree with you. What you wrote brought up another thought. Reading and studying the Bible should be enjoyable. The Bible should not be received with a bleak doom and gloom outlook.

At the pace of study for growing disciples, we learn a
t the end of each Book that our God reveals a profound core of His blessings for obedience and hope. He doesn't want us to be miserable.

Aside from teaching I'll always be a student of the Bible. I don't use acronyms as an aid for my studies but if it works for another brother and sister disciple, praise God.

God bless you, brother, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Back