Bible Study - Giving up.

I shared with someone how I do bible study. I thoroughly go to the commentaries, cross references, strongs book concordance, various others to do the study. Write them down in my observations.

Apparently I misunderstand and misapply. I guess when I do it SOAP way. I need something that I can do that's not going to be taxing due to my health [I only have so much energy before I get exhausted and it's difficult to comprehend].

Only way I can be sure is if I study Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum going back to Jewish Roots. I find his material very difficult to understand. I am trying.

I guess soap is a bad way to study. So I guess I will just throw everything out then. Delete and erase my studies. Since I am misunderstanding everything.

I just feel like what's the point if there is only 1 way to study, and Christianity has it all wrong with [only Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum] is right. I am deeply hurt and I don't even want to study anymore. I guess I have it "all wrong." I'm never going to get it :(

Sister, we have all that we need, as revealed in the following, and only for the asking:

1 John 2:26-27
26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are [trying to] deceive you.
27 And [as for] you, the anointing which you received from Him remains in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you remain in Him.

See how simple that is? It starts with prayer.

Some may say, "But I HAVE been praying, and still nothing has come!"

Well, what is being asked? Are you asking on the basis of this promise, and standing on that promise?

That is the prayer of faith, setting aside all frustrations, all expectations, and just waiting upon the Lord, Who is faithful beyond measure.

Do you see it as a promise the Lord will never deny? No, He only denies what is asked on the basis of what is opposed to His will for us, or that is selfish. He wants us to know and understand His word, that is indeed well established, and none of us is alone.

Do you expect a massive landslide of knowledge immediately after that prayer? Well, we all know that the Lord gives to us what we can handle. None of us becomes a theological brainiac after a prayer uttered like a magical incantation. We ask with humility and in faith. It's a conversational prayer, affirming what the Lord has promised in that highlighted verse.

I listen to several men who teach and instruct, for there is value in listening to those whose hearts are set upon the word of the Lord, but the ultimate source...that is Holy Spirit.

Simply believe that you will receive from Him what is promised, and you shall receive.

MM

Sister, we have all that we need, as revealed in the following, and only for the asking:

26 These things I have written to you concerning those who are [trying to] deceive you.
27 And [as for] you, the anointing which you received from Him remains in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you remain in Him.

Well, what is being asked? Are you asking on the basis of this promise, and standing on that promise?

That is the prayer of faith, setting aside all frustrations, all expectations, and just waiting upon the Lord, Who is faithful beyond measure.

Do you see it as a promise the Lord will never deny? No, He only denies what is asked on the basis of what is opposed to His will for us, or that is selfish. He wants us to know and understand His word, that is indeed well established, and none of us is alone.

Do you expect a massive landslide of knowledge immediately after that prayer? Well, we all know that the Lord gives to us what we can handle. None of us becomes a theological brainiac after a prayer uttered like a magical incantation. We ask with humility and in faith. It's a conversational prayer, affirming what the Lord has promised in that highlighted verse.

I listen to several men who teach and instruct, for there is value in listening to those whose hearts are set upon the word of the Lord, but the ultimate source...that is Holy Spirit.

Simply believe that you will receive from Him what is promised, and you shall receive.

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

Our academic discipline does start with prayer. I agree the Lord takes our study concerns and begins to build us up within our capacities.

I know a brother who only relies on the Bible with no reference texts whereas I happen to use text cross references beside the Bible.

So when he and I talk Jesus over a cup of coffee I’m blessed how we are on the same page in so many areas of God’s Word. There’s room for disagreement and no one attempts to out talk or force our knowledge, but we can always walk away knowing we’re still brothers in Christ and having learned more.

God bless you, brother.

Bob in faith

Seeking encouragement is not asking for approval. It's asking for help and understanding. Major & bobinfaith are Pastors. I was giving an example of what I did to make sure I am not missing anything.
yes they are and i am a pastor also. that is reason i throwed in approval off men... any study of the Bible is good when you search for the truth . there is no one certain technique . no 2 people study alike

MM
aww but what did the eunuch say to Phillip ?

Acts 8:34-39

King James Version

34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

all the more reason we have teachers and preacher for the edifying of the Body. i realize this is dead air the anointing uses man also

yes they are and i am a pastor also. that is reason i throwed in approval off men... any study of the Bible is good when you search for the truth . there is no one certain technique . no 2 people study alike
Okay just when I am sharing something it actually sounds like I was being condemned or criticized when someone just randomly adds on something like that without taking/or recognizing the entire context of why I was asking. Kinda of like making an assumption that the person is doing it when infact they aren't.

Now that you've explained it - I realize it has absolutely nothing to do with me. Thank you for clarifying. I better understand now.

Hello Musicmaster;

Our academic discipline does start with prayer. I agree the Lord takes our study concerns and begins to build us up within our capacities.

I know a brother who only relies on the Bible with no reference texts. I happen to use cross references beside the Bible.

So when he and I talk Jesus over a cup of coffee I’m blessed how we are on the same page in so many areas of God’s Word. There’s room for disagreement and no one attempts to out talk or force our knowledge, but we can always walk away knowing we’re still brothers in Christ and having learned more.

God bless you, brother.

Bob in faith

The primary thought in my mind when I wrote that post above is that the Lord gives to us all what He knows that we need, and when we become despondent on the basis of our ignorance because of those we may see around us who are knowledgeable through years of exercise in the study of the word of God, I only wish to put my arm around them, point to the Lord above all else, and He will see to it that they are raised up to where He wants them. There are men who can do circles around me in their expositions from scripture, and I thank the Lord for them all.

That all is to say that...we are not alone, not even one of us who are in Christ. With Holy Spirit as our primary teacher and move and shaker of our faith, there is no room for despondency. That is the hope I wish to encourage everyone to embrace.

MM

IT seems to me that you are doing a really good job.

For me, I do the KISS method. That along with the five Ws (and one H) approach.

Who (who is speaking; who is the intended audience; who is present in the moment, etc.)
What (is this passage about; what problem is this addressing; what is happening; what is being said;
When (when is this event taking place?)
Where (where is this event taking place, where does it fit in the larger context of the book and Scripture?)
Why (why is this message needed, why is it relevant today?)
How (how does this change what I know about God and humanity; how do I apply this to my life so that I can live more faithfully?
Copied your method too Major

I shared with someone how I do bible study. I thoroughly go to the commentaries, cross references, strongs book concordance, various others to do the study. Write them down in my observations.

Apparently I misunderstand and misapply. I guess when I do it SOAP way. I need something that I can do that's not going to be taxing due to my health [I only have so much energy before I get exhausted and it's difficult to comprehend].

Only way I can be sure is if I study Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum going back to Jewish Roots. I find his material very difficult to understand. I am trying.

I guess soap is a bad way to study. So I guess I will just throw everything out then. Delete and erase my studies. Since I am misunderstanding everything.

I just feel like what's the point if there is only 1 way to study, and Christianity has it all wrong with [only Dr. Arnold G. Fruchtenbaum] is right. I am deeply hurt and I don't even want to study anymore. I guess I have it "all wrong." I'm never going to get it :(
dont worry TiC, I type in my problem on google scriptures and google gives me a good result. I use that method so I dont get bogged down with too much over reading and analysing. it works for me most of the time. and I also watch movies that portrays bible characters as too much reading annoys me at times.

I think you'll find what works best for you, in your own time. Different horses for different courses. hugs...

Back