Bible verses I'm not quite sure about

U

Unregistered

Bible verses I'm not quite sure about

I'm kind of new here, and sorry for posting this if such a topic already exists, but there are some Biblical verses I'm not sure about what they're supposed to mean:

"And everyone who has left their houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and inherit eternal life."
Luke 14:26-33
I suppose that goes with:
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate their mother and father, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my desciple."
Luke 14:26-33. Hmm, aren't we supposed to love one another?
In Matthew 5, it tells that if we sin, we should cut off our hands. If everyone is a sinner, how could that work?
Oh, and somewhere in the OT it says that if you have been really naughty, your offspring up to the 10th generation will be damned. Huh? That's not fair, is it?

I'm a Christian and I'm not trying to undermine our faith, but I just don't get this. I'd be so grateful if anyone could explain it to me.

I'm kind of new here, and sorry for posting this if such a topic already exists, but there are some Biblical verses I'm not sure about what they're supposed to mean:

"And everyone who has left their houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and inherit eternal life." I wonder if this would be like Evangelists or Christian Artists who have to travel a lot and therefore are away from their families a lot, for the sake of the Cross? Of course, your family should come first I would think, but didn't the Desciples leave all they had to follow Jesus?
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate their mother and father, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my desciple."
Luke 14:26-33. Makes you wonder if there is a better translation or something, doesn't it. I have no clue on this one. Hmm, aren't we supposed to love one another?
In Matthew 5, it tells that if we sin, we should cut off our hands. If everyone is a sinner, how could that work? Doesn't it say "it would be better to cut off your hand" not that we actually should, just that this would be better than . . .
Oh, and somewhere in the OT it says that if you have been really naughty, your offspring up to the 10th generation will be damned. Huh? That's not fair, is it? I have not read this one, so . . . but don't you know how your kids can pick up a relative's trait, like have a great sense of humor, or be really smart or something? And, look at all the parents who have adopted a baby, only to realize later that the kid turns out to have a weakness, like with alcohol, or getting in trouble with the law or something and then finds out that their real parent is in prison or something? It could have something to do with a generational curse, if there is such a thing.

I don't know a lot, but I do know the Bible is a source of comfort for a lot of the ills of today, and if more of us would search for the answers to life in this Book, they would find all they are looking for. But your attitude has to be right and you have to be looking for the positive, not the negative.

I'm a Christian and I'm not trying to undermine our faith, but I just don't get this. I'd be so grateful if anyone could explain it to me.

I know I've gone out on a limb here, but no one was answering you and so I thought I'd give it my best. Good luck on your journey friend.

Just as property can come between us and the kingdom of God. So can family. The love for and the interests of God and his kingdom must be first place in your heart.

"And everyone who has left their houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and inherit eternal life."
Our love for God is supposed to be so great, that by comparison, we hate everyone else.
Do not love the world, or its people anywhere near as much as you love God. You can still love people, but always hold God the highest.

In Matthew 5, it tells that if we sin, we should cut off our hands. If everyone is a sinner, how could that work?
"29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. "
What these verses are saying is that, if something (something specific) is causing you to sin, then remove that cause from your life. If your hand is causing you to sin then remove the hand. If having an internet connection causes you to sin (you cannot resist certain sites) then get rid of the internet connection.
Not telling us to cut off bodyparts as punishment for sin, but He used our hands and eyes as examples of removing things that Cause sin.

And I am unfamilier with nearly all of the Old Testament so I hope someone can answer that for you. :)

Oh, and somewhere in the OT it says that if you have been really naughty, your offspring up to the 10th generation will be damned. Huh? That's not fair, is it?

These kind of questions often come up with those who do not have an understanding of God's written word and or His nature. First and formost Jesus, the NT, and the other contributers found in the NT are not making commandments. They are imparting wisdom , giving entightenment and guidence. And for the most part they are speaking in terms relevent to the culture of that time. The priciples are timeless, as is the Holy Spirits indeling and interpritation for the individual.

Mat 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
When Jesus walk, discipleship was truthfuly a matter of forsaking ones posestions and literaly following Jesus. Today, it is a matter of spiritualy if not phyisicaly placing descipleship in Jesus. Being ready if called upon to forsake ones own life for the will of our father in heaven.

Luk 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Jesus is making a point, setting a standard, explaining what was essential to become a disciple. That being (If need be) forsaking everything ,even ones own life, to be His disciple. And in fact many of His disciples did exactly that. Left their families lives even sacrificed their mortal life in discipleship to Jesus. And even today there are those who are imprisoned maytered and killed in His name.

Mat 10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Many to this day, when they come to discipleship in Jesus literaly make enemies of their families and friends. If you think that there are no consiquences for discipleship, better think again. That is what the scriptures are telling us. Discipleship in Jesus is the most controversial and essential decission anmy on will ever make in their life on theis earth. It was then and certianly is today.
Ask yourself, If you "knew" it would cost you all you own ,your family posessions, life???? could you ,would you do it??? would you forsake it all and follow his will for you???? If you could and you did you are a disciple.

It is better to be without hands than spend eternity in hell, as it is better to be without eyes than spend eternity in Hell. That is what is being said here.

in the OT it says that if you have been really naughty, your offspring up to the 10th generation will be damned.

Exo 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
It's not ten generations but 3 or 4 generations. And in fact that is exactly what happens with every child born, every day, since the begining. the iniquity of the parents, the sins ,failures, errors, bad habits in life all fall down upon the children during their time on this earth. It a natural occurance. and so very common we don't even realize it is happening.
How? because the parents are the primary influence in every childs life. They learn ,like little sponges, soaking up every little word ,action that they see and hear from their parents.
It is us that pass on our sins, transgressions, iniquity upon our children, but God who forgives out of mercy both us and our children.

Sincerely
His
and Yours
Cliff

Hello!

I am glad you decided to choose CFS for your answers. Hopefully we will help you on your questions. :)

You don't have to be sorry about posting this. That is why it is here. :)

What might help with clarification is if you use more than one Bible version - as many as you can without getting confused. If you have difficulty reading and understanding a traditional King James, use the NEW King James Version. My favorite other than the KJV is the NLT (New Living Translation). It is a lot like the NIV (New International Version).

In answer to your question: Yes, we should love one another, but we should hate each others actions. I feel that the "hate" spoken of here is a Godly hate, not a worldly hate, like people make it. I hope I am not confusing you? I am trying me best to make this cohesive and understandable. :D

I think you are referring to Matthew 5:27-29?

What helps is to read around the scripture instead of taking it out of its place and trying to grasp it's meaning. This goes along with context clues.

These are what I believe to be called "generational curses". I do not believe this will happen just because you ate your grandmother's cake without asking. Someone probably has to do something pretty bad, like murder or even something worse, to receive this.

I understand, you are not alone. There is always something new we can learn about the Bible.

Love,

NEARERTOGOD

All of the answers above are good and should be meditated upon.
I am simply going to try and contribute my views together with the others as well. Your answers are found thru prayer and deeper study of Gods word. God will reveal and unfold the understanding for you as you mature in your relationship with him and the Holy Spirit guiding you.

This also goes along with:
Lu:9:24: For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
Both scriptures point to the understanding that we can completely trust God and that he has made more than ample provision for those willing to give him that trust.

Yes the same as above it is to trust God and place your whole life in his care. This scripture helps us understand the depth of the level of submission God expects from us. I also agree with RichardS responce. Our love for God is an unescapable law. See this:
Lu:10:27: And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. The new living translation puts your verse it in a more understandable form. LK 14:26 “If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

RichardS answered this exactly. Eye is the sin we look upon we can either dicipline ourself to avoid looking upon it at all cost or pluck out the eye. (I'll go with not looking) Same with the hand it is a reference to sinful works or deeds. Either choice as before stop doing the sin or cut off the hand. (I'll go with stopping the sin again.) Jesus' strong wording as you have seen in each of the passages in question ie: "Hate" and "pluck out or cut off" is to emphasize the extreme importance of these teachings.

Here are the scriptures:
De:23:2: A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
De:23:3: An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:

The first 10 generation curse is that of having babies out of wedlock. This curse I have seen at work in my own family. Unsaved members of my family still suffer from this as well as their childrens children. HOWEVER: be it clear that Jesus ends all curses and is the fullfilment of the law. If we are saved the simply ask for this curse to be broken.

The second curse is refered to by many as abortion. The Ammonites and the Moabites were known for sacrificing their children to their idol god Moloch. Again Jesus Christ breaks all curses and is the end of them since the price is paid in full by him.
Here is that scripture:
Ga:3:9: So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
Ga:3:10: For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Ga:3:11: But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Ga:3:12: And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
Ga:3:13: Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
Ga:3:14: That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Hope all this helps to strenghten your faith and understanding.
See: 1 John 2:24-29
Bro Doyne

Back