Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

Matthew 12:24-32

24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

*** I have read; prayed over and sought clear teaching on this and today; at bible study/worship service I believe I got some insight on this. Exactly HOW is the Holy Spirit blasphemed? (the unpardonable sin)

Isaiah 5:20
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!21Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

This scripture was given to explain HOW the Holy Spirit is blasphemed; as having NOT been given the GLORY for the works of God and attributing the Glory of God to man.

Romans 1:18-32
18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

When is the Holy Spirit blasphemed? Come let us reason together...

:groupray:

DEar sister where are you coming from what answer are you looking for.You already have the answer to you question.This is a dangerous area and is best left alone.Holy Spirit is precious and every believer needs to reverence and honor His Presence.

Hi Worshipper-

If I may, I'd like to bring something up here. We have to be careful of the Scriptures we ascribe, to using as examples of "blasphemy against the Holy Ghost."

Why? Jesus declared, man could speak against the Father and be forgiven. He could also speak against the Son and beforgiven. But to speak against the Holy Spirit, no man can be forgiven.

Now, if we were to claim many of the Scriptures you mentioned are "blasphemy against the Holy Ghost", then how did anyone live or survive, who spoke against the words or miracles of Christ, when He Ministered on the earth, know the Holy Spirit was dwelling within Him?

Thus, if we speak against the words or miracles of Saints, done by the Holy Spirit thru us, any who do, saved or unsaved, are condemned with no chance for Salvation already.

Look at Isa. 5:20-21, these are the same things that occurred against Christ when He ministered. And at times by the Snahedrin- (Pharocees, Saducees, etc).

Yet, Jesus told the people, the Pharocees would only be "least" in Heaven, not rejected. So, this was not "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, would be to say He is not real, He does not exist, He is not doing the speaking, miracles and more thru Gods Saints, that He is not dwelling within them. Its denying the existance of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus declared how He must leave, that the "comforter"- (Holy Ghost), could come to dwell within us and lead us to all Truth. A person could speak all they want against God the Father, Christ the Son and still be forgiven. To because the Holy Spirit dwells within us, no true Child of God, could ever blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

The only way one possibly could, is if they have turned away from God long enough and hardened thier heart, so God would have the Holy Spirit leave them, then only, could a "past child of God" do so. I do not believe a Child of God with the Holy Spirit dwelling within them could ever do that, because the Holy Spirit would never allow it.

Normally, the "infilling" of the Holy Spirit at rebirth, convicts a person enough, as they go thru life, noticing the greater reality of the Holy Spirit as they go. How could they speak directly against Him, when He has become more real to them over time? They wouldn't.

Thus, it would have to be unsaved people, who do not believe in God, so when speak to them of the Trinity, they totally reject any belief in the Holy Spirit.

Forgive me but, some of the Scriptures you connect as Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, show more against the "works" of the Spirit, not the Spirit as a member of God. Thus, if is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, everyone is in trouble.

I know alot of decieved Children of God, who I know, by God's Word, will enter Heaven- "as tried by fire", even tho all thier works will burn. So, we have to be sure we don't carry this too far, or no one will want to get saved, knowing almost any sin will condemn us otherwise.

I understand where your coming from, but in Truth, Blasphemy against the Holy spirit" is just that- Blasphemy- Greek- 988- "blasphemy, slander, malicious talk, evil speaking, railings [1]. "

987- "to blasphemy, insult, slander, curse, speak evil, evil spoken of, defamed, railed on, reviled, slanderously reported... etc".

Now, compare what Christ said of the anti-christ when he reigns- He will blasphemy against god, do "abomination of desolation" in the Temple, and more.

This "blasphemy", will be so horrible against the Trinity as a whole, its refered to as an "abomination of desolation". Why? Because, the anti-christ will reject any belief in all 3 members of God, speak evil of them, as well as defile the Temple, plus have an idol built of himself that will also speak blasphemys.

So, the "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with the words or works spoken or demonstrated, but against any belief in the Holy Spirit altogether. Besides cursing and more.

God declares we are not to take the Lord's name in vain- (swearing using it.) But, if we repent, God will forgive us, as with Christ's name the same also. But, if we were to use the Holy Spirit in a cursing, we are thus condemned. Thats "blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."

Those who condemned Jesus to the cross, Jesus asked the Father to forgive them, and they were forgiven. But, according to Scriptures, if this had been the Holy Spirit condemned by them, they would thus been condemned for not believing in Him.

God Bless!!

I am no expert on this, but I believe blasphemy against the Holy Spirit blasphemes God as much as blasphemy against God, who is Spirit. To blasphemy against the Son is to blaspheme against God. The pharisees thought Jesus performed His miracles by demonic power. Paul said he was formerly a blasphemer. Paul who thought he was serving God. Paul was a Pharisee, and the Pharisees believed Christ performed these miracle by Baalzebub, I can't say as to whether or not Paul believed this or not, but he at least thought Jesus was a false Christ. Christ said all sins shall be forgiven except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. In the Bible it is written "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 So why aren't these sins forgiven these sinners?

I believe we cannot (a) lose our salvation nor (b) work our way into heaven.

(a:)
"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out." John 6:37

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one."
(b)
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me'." John 14:6

"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice." John 10:1-13

If all sins shall be forgiven, but these sinners will not go to heaven, then we need to ask ourselves why. The Spirit is part of the Trinity. The work of the Holy Spirit is to testify to us about Jesus Christ, to convict us of our sins, to lead us to God's Word. I believe anyone who rejects that Jesus came from God, is rejecting the Holy Spirit. As long as a person rejects that Jesus Christ is the Holy One of God, they remain unforgiven. As long as anyone mentioned in 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 does not believe the Holy Spirits testimony concerning Jesus Christ, they remain in their sins and are not forgiven. Martin Luther, Paul Bunion, and Charles Spurgeon made mention of 'interjected blasphemous thoughts' from the evil one. They probably thought that they had committed the unpardonable sin, yet God used these men mightily. So many people who have blasphemed God as unconverted sinners, now saved, look back and are stricken with horror and guilt.

"For if thou confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him up from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

"In most solemn truth I tell you that he who believes has the Life of the Ages." John 6:47

"Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation." Mark 3:29 KJ

If you don't believe Jesus Christ is who He says He IS (I AM) then you are in Great Danger. Don't continually keep hardening you heart to the voice of God. Repent and believe. Pharoah continually hardened his heart and the Word says God hardened it.

"Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent you, and believe the gospel. Mark 1:15

May the Love and Peace of Christ be with your spirits.

Amen least God bless you always and all His people The bride rejoices at the voice of the bride groom and loves to hear His voice always.Song of Solomon is an awesome book.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, would be to say He is not real, He does not exist, He is not doing the speaking, miracles and more thru Gods Saints, that He is not dwelling within them. Its denying the existance of the Holy Spirit.

Jesus declared how He must leave, that the "comforter"- (Holy Ghost), could come to dwell within us and lead us to all Truth. A person could speak all they want against God the Father, Christ the Son and still be forgiven. To because the Holy Spirit dwells within us, no true Child of God, could ever blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Forgive me but, some of the Scriptures you connect as Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, show more against the "works" of the Spirit, not the Spirit as a member of God. Thus, if is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, everyone is in trouble.

I understand where your coming from, but in Truth, Blasphemy against the Holy spirit" is just that- Blasphemy- Greek- 988- "blasphemy, slander, malicious talk, evil speaking, railings [1]. "987- "to blasphemy, insult, slander, curse, speak evil, evil spoken of, defamed, railed on, reviled, slanderously reported... etc".

So, the "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with the words or works spoken or demonstrated, but against any belief in the Holy Spirit altogether. Besides cursing and more.

Those who condemned Jesus to the cross, Jesus asked the Father to forgive them, and they were forgiven. But, according to Scriptures, if this had been the Holy Spirit condemned by them, they would thus been condemned for not believing in Him.
God Bless!!

Thanks CC: that was a really helpful; thank you so much for taking the time to share God's word with me.... I have understood my many years of walking with Jesus that the Holy Spirit is my Holy helper and friend. I cannot even imagine what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit could be like as one in love cannot imagine hating the object of our love enough to curse and reject them.

I am still wondering what that looks like ...didn't the attitude of the Pharisees deny the power of God through Jesus and they saw His works but attributed them to the evil one?...isn't this is what Jesus said would NOT be forgiven man...They did not know of the Holy Spirit so I don't know what they thought of Jesus' saying " whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost".:eek: I personally did not attribute Isa. 5:20-21 to the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit myself, I heard it in the message given yesterday and it caused my ears to pick up on it and my spirit to question...

Many people whom I have daily contact with who seem to hate God and the Holy Spirit but yet they say they are Christians... they could either be deceived believers as you mentioned or may not have bowed the knee to our Lord Jesus by faith...we do not know, I know that this is God's business but I sense such HATE from them toward me and other Christians and the things and workings of God and the Holy Spirit... and wondered if it is or could be associated with blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and that is why their ears are not open and their hearts are hardened to the Word of Grace which is able to save them.

Dear Least in the Kingdom:
The pharisees thought Jesus performed His miracles by demonic power.

Matthew 12:24-28
24But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
27And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Matthew 12:31-32
31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

This is what concerned me; that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit could be attributing the things and workings of God to the evil one just as the Pharisees had. If the Pharisees called Jesus' work as works of the evil one; then is Jesus saying that if a man would so reject the Holy Spirit that he would also reject the works and attribute them to the evil one rather than giving Glory to God??? As you can see, that I am really trying to "chew on" this word of God...may the Lord give us all greater understanding, discernment and power of the Holy Spirit in our lives for ministry of His Holy Word.

Matthew 5:20
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

We must strive to exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees by a whole hearted belief in the Only Son of God, our Lord Jesus, Truth of the Word of God and we are to Honor God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit with all reverence; in our hearts and deeds to the Glory and Praise of God.

Quote:
We must strive to exceed the righteousness of the Pharisees by a whole hearted belief in the Only Son of God, our Lord Jesus, Truth of the Word of God and we are to Honor God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit with all reverence; in our hearts and deeds to the Glory and Praise of God.

"Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation." Mark 3:29 KJ

"For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:20

Abraham believed God and it was imputed to him as righteousness.
"Even as Abraham had faith in God, and it was put to his account as righteousness." Galations 3:6

"For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live by that righteousness." Romans 10:5

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God." Romans 3:10-11

"But what does it say? "The message is near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart." This is the message about faith that we are proclaiming: If you declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." Romans 10:8-9

"For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:20

“And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds but this man hath done nothing amiss. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise.” LUKE 23:39-43.

How shall our righteousness exceed that of the pharisees who did not believe God's testimony of His Son? By faith:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." Epesians 2:8-9

No one can work their way to heaven; so would be to try to become a shoulder up on a drowning man, instead of trusting a life guard to save you. If a person confesses with their mouth and believes in his heart that Jesus Christ is NOT the Son of God, how will they be saved?; by having his ears opened and believing God's testimony of His only begotten Son.

He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!"
And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 16:15-17

Basically it's denying the Holy Spirit until the day we die. We cannot be forgiven period if all we do is deny it and not accept it as CC said.

the holy spirit does good and tells you good,to deny the holy spirit would make you think and do evil all the time.nearly impossible.

Back