Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

My name Joshua,
What is the difference between blaspheming Christ and blaspheming the Spirit? I have been taught that its the same thing, but i believe they have different contexts. If there is an unforgivable sin as this is supposed to be, then why did God not elaborate on it.
I would like to to post on your thoughts of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
Its a very controversial subject. Pastors and priests etc, tend to be round about in the perception.
What is the remedy to blaspheming the Spirit? what can you say about the circumstances surrounding it?

Staff Note: This thread has been moved to the Doctrinal Discussions area where it will receive proper attention.

The "Ask The Staff" area of the forum is used by members who have questions about forum operation, forum navigation and for anyone who needs assistance with forum features. Also, the staff at CFS is not able answer specific Doctrinal questions because of forum policy regarding staff neutrality.

Thank you.

`

31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
Matthew 12:31 (KJV)

I have noted (perhaps incorrectly) that believers use the word blasphemy in several ways.

Sometimes it is meant to include all intemperate references to either God or Jesus.

Sometimes it is generalized to include all intemperate utterances.

A formal definition I am aware of defines blasphemy as attributing the works of God (in any and all manners - Father, Son, Holy Spirit ) to the enemy (Satan); or attributing the works of the enemy to God.

My working understanding of Matt 12:31 is that if one forcefully (not flippantly ) tells God (again in any or all forms) to leave him alone and holds that choice in his heart of hearts, the Lord will abide by that decision. In this case it is by the decision of the sinner, not the pronouncement of God.

My name Joshua,
What is the difference between blaspheming Christ and blaspheming the Spirit? I have been taught that its the same thing, but i believe they have different contexts. If there is an unforgivable sin as this is supposed to be, then why did God not elaborate on it.
I would like to to post on your thoughts of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
Its a very controversial subject. Pastors and priests etc, tend to be round about in the perception.
What is the remedy to blaspheming the Spirit? what can you say about the circumstances surrounding it?
As my brother Siloam said.....the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and Jesus is the same thing as they are persons of the Godhead.

Also, the SIN OF UNBELIEF is the unpardonable sin. Every sin can be forgiven through Christ’s atoning work on the cross, but if one rejects the gospel of Jesus Christ they can NOT be forgiven if death comes to them in a state of unbelief.

Now you aked......"What is the remedy to blaspheming the Spirit? "

Jesus sent the Holy Sporit when He ascended to heaven. The Holy Spirit is THE HELPER. He testifies that Jesus is our Savior. The Holy Spirit is the one who convicts the world of sin and leads them to repentance. That’s the only way anyone ever gets forgiveness. So if you insult the Holy Spirit specifically by calling his testimony about Christ a lie, and therefore you refuse to believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, as Christ said, such a person “never has forgiveness.”

Now then, remember this, correct Bible learning always starts and ends with CONTEXT. It is not that saying something insulting to the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven as Jesus explained when he said........
“all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter.”

Rather it is when someone calls the Holy Spirit’s testimony a lie, and therefore refuses to accept forgiveness in Christ, that Jesus tells us,.......
“but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation.”

So what’s the remedy? If you have called the Holy Spirit’s testimony a lie, and therefore refused to believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, simply repent. No longer be a person who blasphemes the Holy Spirit, and you will no longer be “subject to eternal condemnation.”

Believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins and the free gift of righteousness, as Romans 3:22-24 says:
"even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference".

As my brother Siloam said.....the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit and Jesus is the same thing as they are persons of the Godhead. Now then, remember this, correct Bible learning always starts and ends with CONTEXT. It is not that saying something insulting to the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven as Jesus explained when he said........“all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter.”
Mark 3:28
Rather it is when someone calls the Holy Spirit’s testimony a lie, and therefore refuses to accept forgiveness in Christ, that Jesus tells us,.......“but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation.”
Matthew 12:31
So what’s the remedy? If you have called the Holy Spirit’s testimony a lie, and therefore refused to believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins, simply repent. No longer be a person who blasphemes the Holy Spirit, and you will no longer be “subject to eternal condemnation.” Believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of your sins and the free gift of righteousness, as Romans 3:22-24 says: "even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference".
Hello Major;

Thank you for the excellent explanation and I blue and red-lighted KEY points to your post.

God bless you and your family, Pastor.

Major, the above post on what is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is very, very good.

I used to worry that I might have done it myself.

Thanks
The fact that you have been concerned (worried) is an indication that you have not been guilty of blasphemy since one comes to God by the ministry of The Spirit. If you had closed off your heart you would be unlikely to seriously care.

However, rather than worrying and letting your fear disable you, remember the promises of Our Lord that He will never forsake you. He remains faithful even when we let our faith be overwhelmed.

The fact that you have been concerned (worried) is an indication that you have not been guilty of blasphemy since one comes to God by the ministry of The Spirit. If you had closed off your heart you would be unlikely to seriously care.

However, rather than worrying and letting your fear disable you, remember the promises of Our Lord that He will never forsake you. He remains faithful even when we let our faith be overwhelmed.

Amen!

Back