Blind Faith

Let's say an adult who is slow at understanding has been diligently seeking God for 20 years. And after 20 years of failing to have assurance he cries out, "Lord, just give me some faith in you!"
Notice the person didn't say "more faith," but "some faith." In other words, he probably feels like he doesn't have any at all.

Does this sound like someone who actually already has faith, or someone who is void of faith altogether?

One one hand he has sought the Lord for 2 decades, feeling unsuccessful he assumes he has no faith at all, and of all people he cries for faith to is the Lord himself.

On the other hand, it has been 20 years, and maybe this person has no connection whatsoever. Maybe his claim of having no faith is certain.

What do you think?

Hello. This is a complex issue, one that I have personally dealt with. My opinion based on my personal experience is that there is a seed of faith. For someone who has zero faith, why would they want assurance? For myself, I had hope that there was a God and that hope led to faith and I sought the answers to find out. What I also found out was that God revealed Himself to me in His way, not how I expected or asked for, I just had to be open enough to realize it.

Blessings,

Shelby

Let's say an adult who is slow at understanding has been diligently seeking God for 20 years. And after 20 years of failing to have assurance he cries out, "Lord, just give me some faith in you!"
Notice the person didn't say "more faith," but "some faith." In other words, he probably feels like he doesn't have any at all.

Does this sound like someone who actually already has faith, or someone who is void of faith altogether?

One one hand he has sought the Lord for 2 decades, feeling unsuccessful he assumes he has no faith at all, and of all people he cries for faith to is the Lord himself.

On the other hand, it has been 20 years, and maybe this person has no connection whatsoever. Maybe his claim of having no faith is certain.

What do you think?
No faith in what? You need to define what faith you want, need and what faith you currently have. We all have faith in gravity, but not all in a 1. God existing, 2. Jesus being Lord, or 3. God healing us / doing miracles. Which one do you want?

1. Faith in God's existence can become like that in gravity simply be seeing intelligent design all around us Rom 1:20.

2. Faith in Jesus being Lord, only comes via the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:3. This happens after we come to God on His terms Psalm 51:17, James 4:6, Matt 16:24.

3. Faith in healing is always made out to be ''alot of faith'' and ''we don't have enough, so someone else must pray for us''. But having faith in Jesus being Lord after it is revealed to us is like having faith the size of a mountain. Now faith for healing is less then a mustard seed as faith of a mustard seed moves a mountain.

Rom 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Last edited:

What do you think?

I can certainly relate to that. Something certainly seems to keep me there (overall - I have gone astray a few times over the 20+ years but lets call it "conscience" brings me back) and I feel as if I'm in something I can't really get out of even though there are times I wish I could.

Personally, I have no difficulty in God's existence or in Jesus being Lord so if that is faith, I guess I have faith. OTOH, I find "God will do for me" faith pretty near impossible and have ranged from short periods of brief hope to (if it were possible) periods in that past of "negative faith" (ie. praying to God will make things worse).

I sometimes feel the type of faith I can't seem to find for long may itself be like a seed that could grow into something stronger if it only had the chance but I don't know how to start the process and/or keep it alive when it is weak and vulnerable.

I also sometimes feel that things would ever so easy if one just turned to Christ and things start to move in a positive (/Christian) direction but, while there are testimonies (which I've no reason to doubt) of such things happening for some people, I believe the reality is that it does not always work out that way. Personally, there are times when I feel that all I achieved in turning to Christ was to open the floodgates of hell wider but I suspect a more common feeling (which I live with pretty much permanently) is one where you simply feel that there is something very wrong with your relationship with Christ that you wish you could somehow put right but you don't really know how/why/where to start.

As for helping, I'd guess that anyone who has been through this sort of thing for 20 years will have spoken to a number of people in the church, had people pray for them, been given scriptures to read and tried to follow them up, etc. - several times over... - so I doubt things are that simple.

Maybe the answer is that one has to tell oneself more firmly every day that it WILL come right in the end? Or maybe there is a deep rooted problem that really does need resolving? How does one know?

Moses was raised in Egypt ...then he was in the desert for several years before God called him and really started a relationship with him - before He started using Moses. Christ was an "ordinary guy" (a Jewish carpenter) for 30 years before His ministry started in full force - and HE was/is the SON of God. Unlike us, God is not in a hurry. All things happen at the right time in His plan...even if it isn't right now. :)

My point is that if you look at the Bible throughout old and new, you see a theme: men and women of the Lord did not usually happen instantly. Some got started late in life - others went years between hearing from the Lord (Abraham comes to mind). So my point is...it can and does take time. Keep seeking the Lord and believe His promise "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7.

And remember that this is a work that is entirely His. "We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne." The Faith is His - so ask for His Faith. Ask Him to be your Lord and Savior - to live through you. And if it is so: tell Him that you want to be His fully - that you want to know Him and that you want Him to be real to you. And He, Who loves you dearly, will do so! Because He wants to! :)

I was saved when I was four. But it would be another fifteen years before things really got started - before God became real to me, before Faith started growing in me and before I got seriously into God. Yes I was young, but the point is it took time - years. I was not yet ready...I had not come to end of myself and I had not reached my fill of this life. But when I did....He was there. All according to plan. :)

And if you had had no faith...you would have given up long ago.

Last edited:
Back