Bloody Steaks

Is eating raw beef and/or fish a sin?

• Yes.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Is it a sin to eat medium rare or medium steaks? I like such steaks, they taste so good. But my favorite food is sushi, but is it a sin to eat sushi?

Leviticus 17:10-14 is where the specifics about eating blood is given. Verse 13 indicates eating blood is about not draining the blood from the carcass. I don't think it means eating rare meat. But in any case, this is old covenant which we are not under.

We Roman Catholics already believe that we cannibalize the Body and Blood of Christ, so we cannot be opposed to the consumption of blood.

Hmm, maybe I should ask the Lord by praying, and then I'll find out what intuition I will have. I already get some feelings like someone tells me something, but I don't hear voices.

Acts 15:28-29: "For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: that you abstain...from blood..."
We have to read these passages within the context of the Acts of the Apostles. After Christ's return to Heaven, there were two opposing ideologies within the nascent Christian community. The first ideology of St. Peter purported that Christians should remain Jewish. They were to have a closer identity with the rules and regulations of the Old Law. The second ideology of St. Paul denounced the regulations of the Old Law as profiting one nothing. The passages in Acts 15 and Acts 16 appear to be instances of the first ideology of St. Peter, which disappeared quite early within Christian culture as Christianity became a hellenic religion rather than a strictly Jewish religion.

Back