Bond-servants

There is a huge area of misunderstanding in the Christian Community today and it keeps tens of thousands from either being saved or moving on with their life without Christ. Repeatedly I have been informed that a person is not God's or not Jesus' Bond-servant. I suppose a good deal of this has to do with our modern day misunderstanding of slavery but the moment you call or name Jesus your Lord you have admitted to having a master. One cannot have a master without being owned and if you are owned, you are some form of a slave.

Being a slave or a bond-servant of God's is best compared to being your father's son or daughter. Many, when they object, use the argument that they are a son or a daughter of God but that they are nobodies slave and this, simply can never be. Some parents are not so good in their parenting and never are really in control of the rearing of their children but the truth is that the Godly Father and mother are the rulers of the house.

When I was a lad my dad had certain duties that were mine, just for living there. Other tasks I was rewarded for, if I was mindful to perform them and dad did not have to remind me to do them, otherwise, I still did them but with no pay for the job. I was the bond-servant of my mom and my dad. My sisters had similar but different duties to take care of. Where I carried out the trash, fed, bathed and walked the dog, free, they washed the dishes. They got paid for washing the tub, doing the laundry and other tasks and I was paid for cleaning the car, gutters and other tasks but all of these had to be accomplished without reminder and on time.

I have given these duties of ours for an example of servitude, not to show you that God has a list of duties for you, that is between you and your Lord. Just make no mistake, you have a Lord and it is either God or it is Satan! The choice of who it is is yours but you cannot decide not to have a Lord, none of us are that powerful!

It's unusual for me but you might and you certainly should notice that I have not picked out a passage of scripture to launch this message. That is because I'm using the whole of the scriptures for the textual reference. If you have never read the scriptures through, as if it were any other book, I encourage you to do so. If you have not read the Bible through in the past year or two, I encourage you to begin and if you have read the Bible through, using one of the year long plans where you read these Old Testament Scriptures and this one New Testament scripture each day, I'm asking you to read it in my favorite manor, from front to the back. Read in this fashion, the Bible is a story of love, war, life, death and adventure that makes Indiana Jones look childish.

God bless and happy reading.

There is a huge area of misunderstanding in the Christian Community today and it keeps tens of thousands from either being saved or moving on with their life without Christ. Repeatedly I have been informed that a person is not God's or not Jesus' Bond-servant. I suppose a good deal of this has to do with our modern day misunderstanding of slavery but the moment you call or name Jesus your Lord you have admitted to having a master. One cannot have a master without being owned and if you are owned, you are some form of a slave.

Being a slave or a bond-servant of God's is best compared to being your father's son or daughter. Many, when they object, use the argument that they are a son or a daughter of God but that they are nobodies slave and this, simply can never be. Some parents are not so good in their parenting and never are really in control of the rearing of their children but the truth is that the Godly Father and mother are the rulers of the house.

When I was a lad my dad had certain duties that were mine, just for living there. Other tasks I was rewarded for, if I was mindful to perform them and dad did not have to remind me to do them, otherwise, I still did them but with no pay for the job. I was the bond-servant of my mom and my dad. My sisters had similar but different duties to take care of. Where I carried out the trash, fed, bathed and walked the dog, free, they washed the dishes. They got paid for washing the tub, doing the laundry and other tasks and I was paid for cleaning the car, gutters and other tasks but all of these had to be accomplished without reminder and on time.

I have given these duties of ours for an example of servitude, not to show you that God has a list of duties for you, that is between you and your Lord. Just make no mistake, you have a Lord and it is either God or it is Satan! The choice of who it is is yours but you cannot decide not to have a Lord, none of us are that powerful!

It's unusual for me but you might and you certainly should notice that I have not picked out a passage of scripture to launch this message. That is because I'm using the whole of the scriptures for the textual reference. If you have never read the scriptures through, as if it were any other book, I encourage you to do so. If you have not read the Bible through in the past year or two, I encourage you to begin and if you have read the Bible through, using one of the year long plans where you read these Old Testament Scriptures and this one New Testament scripture each day, I'm asking you to read it in my favorite manor, from front to the back. Read in this fashion, the Bible is a story of love, war, life, death and adventure that makes Indiana Jones look childish.
God bless and happy reading.

Very good!
Your analogy was very well put.

indeed we begin as a slave/servant ..

Rom 6:16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

here again, the OT explains how this works .. after a certain amount of time as a slave/indentured servant, we then are set free (in the OT this is 7 yrs) .. at this point, the slave/servant can leave, or of "free will" desire to stay (which is what a bond-servant duleo is) .. a bond-servant is not a slave, but becomes a friend which serves the master from a totally different reason ..
he is then given the seal (in the OT a pierced ear was the marking)
(in the NT the HS is the marking) of the master so others will treat him as a freeman WITH the master's authority to use ..
it works the same with a believer ..

Jhn 15:15No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

Last edited:
I think there is a clarification to be made here. Who are we slaves to? What is this Master like?

"Sarah was like that; she obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are now her daughters if you do good and are not afraid of anything. 7 In the same way you husbands must live with your wives with the proper understanding that they are more delicate than you. Treat them with respect, because they also will receive, together with you, God's gift of life. Do this so that nothing will interfere with your prayers. 8 To conclude: you must all have the same attitude and the same feelings; love one another, and be kind and humble with one another." 1 Peter 3:6-8.

Wives are commanded to call their husbands their masters. Yet can not the whole church draw something from this? For the church of Christ, the Bride, is called to call her Husband (Christ!) Lord and Master! But we are called to do this without fear (....perfect love drives out all fear. 1 John 4:18). And we can have God as our Master without fear because we know Him: He understands us and loves us. He is patient with us and respects us. So instead of a slavery of chains and force, it becomes a slavery of free will - we chose to be slaves to a wonderful Lord that will always take care of us - a Lord we know and WANT to serve!

I am a slave to the Lord because I have chosen to be. I am His vessel because I know He is a good, fair and Sovereign Lord and Master. He is the Head that I want to be under! He is the one that I want to be hidden in! I obey Him because I love Him - and there is so much to LOVE about Him!!! :)

If you mention slavery without mentioning the character of the Master....then yes, that slavery becomes something uncertain, something to fear, and something best avoided! Would I want to be a slave to one any less wonderful and complete then Glorious Lord God? HECK NO! So yes, we are slaves. We are slaves, sons and daughters and co heirs with Christ! Romans 8:17. And there is nothing more glorious then what our Lord has set up for His own glory! His plan and most of all Himself! :)

Back