Born Again And Severing Ties With Old Friends?

I'm just curious if it's normal for born agains to have the urge to cut old friends out of their lives? My old circle of friends are heavy drinkers among other negative things, but it also seems like a very un-Christlike thing to do. Any thoughts?

I was saved at an early age, so it's never really come to something like that. However, I do have plenty of non-Christian friends. My approach is just because we're friends doesn't mean I have to do everything they do.

Hi

Paul gives a very clear answer. On the one hand he says 2 Cor 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

And on the other 1 Cor 5:9-12 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

Conclusion...we need to pay special attention to the word ''altogether'' in 1 Cor 5:10. It means spend some time. Not lot's of time. We must also acknowledge Paul's clear instruction not to socialize with Christians caught up in mortal type sins. You will find this if you read the whole of 1 Cor 5.

It does help if you arrange bible studies and home meetings during the week. But certainly don't cut them off completely. Keep them on a line and reel them into Christ like fish (y).

Always easier said then done. Good luck and praying for you friend!

More heartbreaking is cutting family from your life; I didn't grow up in a Christian home, and the only person I have in in my immediate family that has gotten saved is my Mom-GLORY TO GOD!

But I think I am going to be watching most of my family be thrown in the pit....

I have given them all the Gospel on many occasions; what I struggle with is giving them an example to WANT the Gospel. My grandmother has visited our Church and raised her hand...but...well it is in God's Hands, only He knows the true heart condition.

Pray, pray again, pray some more, and fast, read your Bible, meditate on The Word, worship the LORD, fellowship with Bible believing Christians, seek good counsel, and repeat...

Be the salt and the light....Amen

Yes it is normal, before the Lord baptized me and I became born again. I had plenty of so called friends to hang around with but right after Iwas born again my family and friends began to turn on me. And as for the rest of them, I no longer have anything in common with them. Check yourself against the scriptures to see if you had a true Baptism of the Holy Ghost. You would have received a word of prophecy, the testimony of Jesus Christ is the spirit of prophecy and without the Holy Ghost you would have nothing to testify of Jesus Christ with. In the book of Revelation we find the following message, they were saved by the Blood of the Lamb and the word of their testimony and they loved their lives not unto death. Romans 8:9 tells us that He who has not the spirit of Christ is non of His. So you see why I would be putting this much work into making sure you have what you need for your redemption through Christ Jesus. Ive done plenty of research on other Christian sites and when I checked to see if those particular people where truly born again, I found that non of them were. 8 in a row. There are Fallen angels all over this world and one of their tricks is leading people to believe that they have received the baptism of the Holy Ghost when they in fact have not. Those fallen angles give them all sorts of feelings, be it Love in third hearts, a spiritual "whoosh" feeling coming over them, or causing them to speaking in tongues. IF you have any questions as to the validity of your spiritual Baptism just visit this site, I think you will find it very edifying....https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePersecuted7 . I wouldn't spend day and night trying to pluck Stolen/Lost sheep from Satan's tricks and traps if I wasn't sincere. I hope you have a great day in the Lord and may Jesus Christ bless you more and more, in Jesus Christs name Amen.

Last edited:
I'm just curious if it's normal for born agains to have the urge to cut old friends out of their lives? My old circle of friends are heavy drinkers among other negative things, but it also seems like a very un-Christlike thing to do. Any thoughts?
It's normal. I experienced the same thing.

friendship can consist of shared habits only (habit support group) ..
and you do not want to endorse that if you are "a new creature/born again" ..
however, if your friendship is based on more then that, then it would indeed be a lack of love & compassion to not try and help them ..

this love & compassion to try and help, should even apply to those whom are "friends" only through shared habits" (aka habit support group) who you cut ties with .. and create new positive habit support group (aka fellowship) ..

Last edited:
Back