Breaking Bones

Thursday, May 7, 2015, 3:25 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song, “When in The Stillness.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Romans 8 (quoting vv. 18-39ESV).

The Bones

I woke out of a dream which relates to this passage of scripture, so I will share the dream: We knew something really bad was coming. Christians were now being persecuted on a massive scale. I was among the persecuted. The persecution was not physical, at first, but it was about to be. They were getting ready to break all our bones. Christians were now the enemy worldwide, I believe. We were being rounded up like cattle ready to be slaughtered.

There were two men who were put in charge of having the responsibility of breaking our bones. I think both met with some kind of fate. One of them was in a serious automobile accident. Yet, this did not stop the persecution. The day came when someone came with some kind of tool (instrument) to be used to break all of our bones. So, he began to break all my bones, and that is when I woke up. End of dream.

Dreams are often not to be taken literally, but figuratively, so I looked up “bones” in the dictionary and in the Bible. In the Bible, I learned, bones (plural) were often figurative of one’s whole (entire) being. Bones are also symbolic of strength. I also noted that many idioms in the English language use the term “bone(s)” in relation to our minds and emotions, and to the words which we speak, which fits with bones being used to describe our whole being, which includes our minds, soul, emotions, and strength, etc.

The goal of persecution, I believe, is to break (stop, discourage, dishearten) us. To wake up from this is to be stirred or “to become cognizant or aware of something; and/or to rouse from lethargy, apathy, ignorance, etc.” (dictionary.com). There are many ways in which our enemy will try or might be successful for a time in “breaking” us (our bones). The instruments he uses to try to break us are not always physical hammer and chisel, though, but are the people he uses in our lives to try to beat us down, to strike us, and who attempt to defeat (slaughter) us, not just physically, but mentally, spiritually and emotionally, too. They do this with words. And, the goal is to destroy us and/or to try to get us to conform to their ways and to stop sharing the truth of the gospel of our salvation. So, we need to be aware of (awakened to) their tactics so that they don’t break us and so we are able to use the armor of God with which to defeat Satan’s evil attacks against us (See: Eph. 6:10-20).

Our Sufferings

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us… And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Jesus said that his true followers will be hated and persecuted just like he was hated and persecuted, and then was hung on a cross to die, though not because of anything he had done wrong. We who are his followers are called to suffer for the sake of Christ and for the sake of his gospel, so it should not take us by surprise or undo us when it happens. We should become aware of Satan’s tactics he uses to break us so that we can use the armor of God against him and so that we remain strong in our faith and in our determination to continue to preach the truth of the gospel, in spite of all opposition. Yet, we don’t do this in our own human strength or willpower, which is subject to weakness and failure, but we rely upon the strength of the Lord and the power of his Word within us to keep going.

Since we live in flesh bodies we are subject to weakness, yet the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. Paul said that he delighted in his weaknesses (not sins), because God’s grace was sufficient for him in that God’s power was made perfect in his weakness. Therefore Paul concluded that “For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Co. 12:10). That is a good attitude to have when we are being mistreated and spoken evil against falsely. And, it is encouraging to know that we have a comforter who is there to help us, and to intercede for us when we don’t know what to pray, and that he does so in accordance with God’s will. Amen!

More Than Conquerors

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written,

For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I find these words so encouraging, don’t you? Even though many of us are facing persecution at the hands of those who oppose the full gospel message, and whose goal it is to “break our bones,” i.e. to defeat us, we are more than conquerors through him (God/Jesus) who loved (loves) us. It doesn’t mean we won’t have enemies or that the persecution will cease, or that God will deliver us physically out of our persecutors’ hands, but none of this can separate us from God’s love, and it does not have to defeat us. Jesus won the victory over Satan, and so the victory is ours because of what Jesus did for us in dying for our sins. We just have to rely upon the strength of the Spirit within us and allow God’s power to be perfected in our weakness. Satan means the breaking of us for evil, but God allows this mistreatment for our good, and for the good of others whose lives we touch with the love of Jesus and with his message of hope and healing for the penitent sinner who trusts in God’s grace.

When in The Stillness / An Original Work / September 26, 2011

When in the stillness
Of this moment,
Speak to me, Lord,
I humbly pray.
Be my desire,
Set me on fire,
Teach me to love always.
Help me to walk in
Fellowship with You,
Listening to You;
Sit at Your feet.
Whisper Your words to me,
Oh, how gently,
Guiding me in Your truth.

While we are waiting
For Your blessing,
Lord, in our hearts
Be King today.
Help us to live for
You ev’ry moment,
List’ning to what You say.
May we not stray from
Your word within us,
Help us obey You,
Lord, in all things,
Walking each moment,
Lord, in Your presence,
Our off’rings to You bring.

Help us to love You,
Lord, our master;
Be an example
Of Your love,
Helping the hurting,
Lift up the fallen,
Showing them Your great love.
Teach them to love You,
Follow You always,
Bearing their cross and
Turning from sin;
Walking in daily
Fellowship with You,
Making You Lord and King.

Dear Sue,
I became aware of this recently when attended a funeral of a christian lady whos husband and family are unbelievers....they cremated her body..and many christians think its ok to treat their bodies which are temples of the holy spirit in this way as well.

Cremation is burning and crushing bones to a powder. Sometimes these ashes scattered far and wide or mixed up with other peoples. Some not even given proper burial.

While Im sure the Lord can resurrect any believer no matter what satan tries to do...i think many people falling for the lie that cos cremation is cheaper, its a good thing to do. It is like pre-hell. They are aiming to destroy our witness by crushing our bones.

Dear Sue,
I became aware of this recently when attended a funeral of a christian lady whos husband and family are unbelievers....they cremated her body..and many christians think its ok to treat their bodies which are temples of the holy spirit in this way as well.

Cremation is burning and crushing bones to a powder. Sometimes these ashes scattered far and wide or mixed up with other peoples. Some not even given proper burial.

While Im sure the Lord can resurrect any believer no matter what satan tries to do...i think many people falling for the lie that cos cremation is cheaper, its a good thing to do. It is like pre-hell. They are aiming to destroy our witness by crushing our bones.

Thank you Sue! For once again the Lord has used you to speak to me, to remind me of what i should be doing. Sometimes i feel as if the people who are closest to me are being used by the enemy to help shut me down. But as i read your dream and the words of the Word and your expounding upon them....it helps me to be more mindful and careful on how i speak in the midst those situations when all i do is cry, because it is better than yelling or getting in strife, and to be praying more diligently or speaking God's Word more diligently over my situation. For it really is all about truth, love and forgiveness!

Blessings for your obedience and strength in the Lord!

Dear Sue,

Lanolin, I have not really studied the subject of cremation. My father asked to be cremated. My mother did not. At one time I considered it, but then felt that it was pagan and that was not the example given in scripture regarding death and burial, and so I discarded the idea as pagan and not as Christian. Beyond that, I didn't do any research. Has someone yet started a topic of discussion on here on that subject? That might be a good thing to do or to find one already begun and reopen it for discussion. Yet, I wish to not get off on that topic here lest the message in the OP is lost in the shuffle.

The breaking of bones here had to do with persecution and with discouragement, i.e. when we allow people's treatment of us to crush us so that we give up. The passage was a wonderful encouragement here to keep persevering and to be more than conquerors through him who loves us. So many times when we are persecuted for righteousness sake it can get depressing and discouraging, but we need to see that God is in control, and we need to trust him. He has been teaching me much about trust this month, and about believing him even when all looks hopeless from all appearances. He is working in ways we cannot see, so we just have to continue to obey him, and to walk in the truth he gives us, and leave the results to him.

Thank you Sue! For once again the Lord has used you to speak to me, to remind me of what i should be doing. Sometimes i feel as if the people who are closest to me are being used by the enemy to help shut me down. But as i read your dream and the words of the Word and your expounding upon them....it helps me to be more mindful and careful on how i speak in the midst those situations when all i do is cry, because it is better than yelling or getting in strife, and to be praying more diligently or speaking God's Word more diligently over my situation. For it really is all about truth, love and forgiveness!

Blessings for your obedience and strength in the Lord!

God bless you Cturtle for your continued faithfulness in being an encourager to the saints of God. You have blessed my heart many times over! I totally understand what you are saying here. I get that! I cry a lot, too. God has been teaching me much this month about trusting him even when I don't understand what is going on, and even in times when things look hopeless, from all appearances. He keeps assuring me of his faithfulness, and of his love, and he keeps encouraging me to trust him and to believe that he has it all under control, and that he is going to work out all things for my good. I know this. But some days Satan fights hard against me in my emotions and I need to hear those encouraging words once again. They bring peace in times of strife. There have been many such words from the Lord this month to my heart. I can't help but feel he is preparing me for something.

Believe Him

Sometimes in life we have questions for which we don’t have answers. Sometimes we pray and we can’t hear God speaking, i.e. he seems silent concerning our requests. And, so we cry out for him to hear us, even though we know he does, and for him to answer. Yet, he doesn’t always give us the answers we desire, nor does he explain all of his ways to us.

Sometimes he just says “Trust me;” “Believe me;” “Rest in me.” And, he reminds us that his ways are greater than our ways and his thoughts greater than our thoughts, i.e. he doesn’t think and work like we do. He has purposes for what we go through in this life far beyond our human comprehension. We may even desire the right things, but he may have planned for us to go through injustice or heartache, and so he asks us to just trust him that he knows best.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight. – Pr. 3:5-6 (NIV)

Believe Him / An Original Work / July 15, 2013

My heart cries: Lord, won’t You hear me
Seeking You for the answers
To my heartache and questions
I have concerning my life?
Speak, Lord, to me right now.

“Oh, dear one, why don’t you trust Me
With your life’s circumstances?
Give your all on the altar
In submission of your will
To My purpose for you.

“Surrender your life completely
To your Lord and your Savior.
He has all things planned for you
For His glory and honor.
He’ll work all things for good.

“Believe Him. He will fulfill all
Of His promises to you
For your life and your future.
Trust Him. Rest in His love.
He’ll give you peace from above.”

http://originalworks.info/believe-him/

Lanolin, I have not really studied the subject of cremation. My father asked to be cremated. My mother did not. At one time I considered it, but then felt that it was pagan and that was not the example given in scripture regarding death and burial, and so I discarded the idea as pagan and not as Christian. Beyond that, I didn't do any research. Has someone yet started a topic of discussion on here on that subject? That might be a good thing to do or to find one already begun and reopen it for discussion. Yet, I wish to not get off on that topic here lest the message in the OP is lost in the shuffle.

The breaking of bones here had to do with persecution and with discouragement, i.e. when we allow people's treatment of us to crush us so that we give up. The passage was a wonderful encouragement here to keep persevering and to be more than conquerors through him who loves us. So many times when we are persecuted for righteousness sake it can get depressing and discouraging, but we need to see that God is in control, and we need to trust him. He has been teaching me much about trust this month, and about believing him even when all looks hopeless from all appearances. He is working in ways we cannot see, so we just have to continue to obey him, and to walk in the truth he gives us, and leave the results to him.
I could start a thread yes been doing some research.
it is pagan and hindu..most believers who practise it believe in reincarnation, not resurrection.
It is a way of completely destroying the body. Cremation is just the same as hell will be for unbelievers.
Jesus said a bruised reed he will not break.

God bless you Cturtle for your continued faithfulness in being an encourager to the saints of God. You have blessed my heart many times over! I totally understand what you are saying here. I get that! I cry a lot, too. God has been teaching me much this month about trusting him even when I don't understand what is going on, and even in times when things look hopeless, from all appearances. He keeps assuring me of his faithfulness, and of his love, and he keeps encouraging me to trust him and to believe that he has it all under control, and that he is going to work out all things for my good. I know this. But some days Satan fights hard against me in my emotions and I need to hear those encouraging words once again. They bring peace in times of strife. There have been many such words from the Lord this month to my heart. I can't help but feel he is preparing me for something.

Believe Him

Sometimes in life we have questions for which we don’t have answers. Sometimes we pray and we can’t hear God speaking, i.e. he seems silent concerning our requests. And, so we cry out for him to hear us, even though we know he does, and for him to answer. Yet, he doesn’t always give us the answers we desire, nor does he explain all of his ways to us.

Sometimes he just says “Trust me;” “Believe me;” “Rest in me.” And, he reminds us that his ways are greater than our ways and his thoughts greater than our thoughts, i.e. he doesn’t think and work like we do. He has purposes for what we go through in this life far beyond our human comprehension. We may even desire the right things, but he may have planned for us to go through injustice or heartache, and so he asks us to just trust him that he knows best.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight. – Pr. 3:5-6 (NIV)

Believe Him / An Original Work / July 15, 2013

My heart cries: Lord, won’t You hear me
Seeking You for the answers
To my heartache and questions
I have concerning my life?
Speak, Lord, to me right now.

“Oh, dear one, why don’t you trust Me
With your life’s circumstances?
Give your all on the altar
In submission of your will
To My purpose for you.

“Surrender your life completely
To your Lord and your Savior.
He has all things planned for you
For His glory and honor.
He’ll work all things for good.

“Believe Him. He will fulfill all
Of His promises to you
For your life and your future.
Trust Him. Rest in His love.
He’ll give you peace from above.”

http://originalworks.info/believe-him/

As i read what you wrote about this month....i believe that i have been right there with you. Learning how to praise God in the midst of the storm. And how to trust completely in Him, no matter what i may see, hear or feel. I mean when God proves faithful in the smallest of things...like making one week of shampoo last for three, just by simply obeying to add a little water.....ya know He is working something strong. Being settled in trust, and unmoved by the situation. Being settled in His love and provision, no matter what. It can be like being in the eye of the storm(tornado), where there is total peace and calm...even though the winds are horrendous on the outside. Being able to remain faithful and calm in what He has written in His Word, even though all we see is the opposite. And yes i fully agree the emotions cannot be allowed to not be submitted to Him and His ways. We cannot afford to let them get out of control.

So thank you for your kind words! Encouragement, And added extra song! I really appreciate you! And yes i have to believe that God is preparing you for something to. For those whom choose to heed His voice, and hear and obey what He is saying will be in the midst of everything that He is doing. Those whom choose to stay in their own ways will know the pains of disobedience. For this is not a time to be playing around or staying the way we have been. This is the time to be fully hooked up to Him, so that we can be used in a mighty way, to bring others to Him.

Blessings to you!

Last edited:
As i read what you wrote about this month....i believe that i have been right there with you. Learning how to praise God in the midst of the storm. And how to trust completely in Him, no matter what i may see, hear or feel. I mean when God proves faithful in the smallest of things...like making one week of shampoo last for three, just by simply obeying to add a little water.....ya know He is working something strong. Being settled in trust, and unmoved by the situation. Being settled in His love and provision, no matter what. It's can be like being in the eye of the storm(tornado), where there is total peace and calm...even though the winds are horrendous on the outside. Being able to remain faithful and calm in what He has written in His Word, even though all we see is the opposite. And yes i fully agree the emotions cannot be allowed to not be submitted to Him and His ways. We cannot afford to let them get out of control.

So thank you for your kind words! And added extra song! I really appreciate you! And yes i have to believe that God is preparing you for something to. For those whom choose to heed His voice, and hear and obey what He is saying will be in the midst of everything that He is doing. Those whom choose to stay in their own ways will know the pains of disobedience. For this is not a time to be playing around or staying the way we have been. This is the time to be fully hooked up to Him, so that we can be used in a mighty way, to bring others to Him.

Blessings to you!
Amen! Sister.

Well, i dont want to get off topic. Persecution is real. Families are divided.

Enemies can be ones of your own household. They would be the ones closest to you that could crush your bones. But remember the passage in Hebrews about the double edged sword? It talks about bones.

Enemies can be ones of your own household. They would be the ones closest to you that could crush your bones. But remember the passage in Hebrews about the double edged sword? It talks about bones.
Thanks Lanolin. What is the scripture reference in Hebrews?

@SueJLove,
Interesting you bring up this topic...

It seems like I have literally been Swamped by teaching/preaching about trials, tribulations, persecution and enduring persecution recently.... Every place I turn - radio, TV, web blogs, even in my own scripture readings and studies.... Places where the fellows normally speak nothing of persecution here in the USA....

I think we need to get prepared....

@SueJLove,

It seems like I have literally been Swamped by teaching/preaching about trials, tribulations, persecution and enduring persecution recently.... Every place I turn - radio, TV, web blogs, even in my own scripture readings and studies.... Places where the fellows normally speak nothing of persecution here in the USA....

I agree! Me, too! We need to be ready.

@SueJLove,

Here is another one the Lord gave me on persecution. I do believe it is coming. http://www.christianforumsite.com/threads/the-squeeze.42548/

That passage is referring to the Word of God correcting you. And removing the things in your life that are not pleasing unto the Father. Like in John 15 where the Father prunes the branches who are producing little fruit. Or totally cutting off those who are not producing any fruit.

That passage is referring to the Word of God correcting you. And removing the things in your life that are not pleasing unto the Father. Like in John 15 where the Father prunes the branches who are producing little fruit. Or totally cutting off those who are not producing any fruit.
Thanks Cturtle, I forgot to go back and look at this.

Hmm yes, God is like the gardener, pruning away.
Branches not bearing fruit are cut down and burned. But the enemy wants to break them and crush them while still on the vine. We cant let hired hands into the vineyard. They dont know anything bout pruning.

Jesus said a bruised reed he will not break.

Back