BREAKING the 5th Commandment & changing my birth name

BREAKING the 5th Commandment & changing my birth name

Hello,
My name is José and I'm tired of it. I'm hispanic and if it's not José... it's Hector, Juan, Angel, etc. (I know your laughing. ) And if your a latin woman it's Maria, Carmen, etc. You get the idea. I've been wanting to change my common name to a not-so-common name now for years.
Both my mother & father have now past away.
Does anyone believe that I will be committing a SIN if I change my name?
Will I, in fact be breaking the Fifth Commandment? "[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.(Det.5:16 KJV)[/FONT]!"
I want to change the first & the last names.
What do you think?
:confused:

(Why not just change your first name?)

I don't think changing your name would be dishonoring your parents (because I don't think the command is talking about honor in that way).

However, I'd probably wouldn't change my last name just to make sure the name of my family lives on.

Funny you should mention this.
Just tonight one of my sons said he is going to change his name.
I said "NO!".
I would feel bad because it is the name that I chose for him.
It is who he is!
Jose is a very nice name and it is who you are!
On behalf of your mother, I say "NO!" :badidea: ;)
Can you go by your middle name?

Many people I have talked to don't seem to like their names- if it bothers you and you can afford it change it-

I used to have an issue with the rarity of my name. I wanted to change it to something I was able to find on those little novelties that had all the names but mine on them. I think you'd be better off to learn to appreciate your name for what it is.

I was just wondering how complicated a process like that would be- changing your name at the courthouse is one thing convincing the rest of the world- creditors,banks etc might be complex.

It is not a sin to change your name, unless it is a point of pride.

Have you maybe considered the English version of your name, Joseph, Joe, etc.? Just a thought.

Funny Story:
My mom gave me one of those eternally "little boy" names, Bobby. Is ok is you are a NASCAR driver or a baseball pitcher!

Seriously, it got me in trouble in the 3rd grade. I had an English teacher that insisted on using only proper names. She would call role and when she would come to my name she would say, "Robert." I corrected her a few times and at one point she exclaimed, "no one's name is Bobby! It must be Robert!"

So, the next day when she called "Robert" I just sat there quietly. She repeated, I said nothing. She came and stood in front of my seat and screamed, "answer me!" I told her that I would be happy to respond when she called my name. She paddled me. Mom "counseled" with her, and it never happened again.:rolleyes:

Do what you want about your name, man. But I appreciate mine more now, because it was given to me by my mom after a lot of love, thought and care on her part. She now has terminal cancer and I have come to appreciate many of the things she said to me and done for me over the years.

"...and I will write upon him my new name." (Rev. 3:12)

Blessings in Christ,
ElBob

ElBob, that is how I feel too, about appreciating the name you were given out of love.
And your mom is in my prayers~

So Ambassador-of-Christ what names are you considering - perhaps Bjourn :D - just kidding but you do have me curious-many blessings- your brother Larry

May not really be helpful, but it seems related so... I actually did change my last name when I was old enough to make a clear decision. Why? Well, I was raised by my grandparents on my mother's side. Never really knew my father. So, when I started thinking about my future, and dating, and getting married, I realized, I didn't want to pass on a name I knew nothing about. My grandparents raised me, and they should be honored with the lineage. So I changed my name.

I don't understand why you would change your last name, but I also don't see where it would be a huge sin, just think you will someday regret it. Sometimes, a name is the only real tie you have to your family.

Banarenth,
I think that was a very honorable gift to your Grandparents as well as yourself, under the circumstances. vbmenu_register("postmenu_16204", true);

Jose.... you know Saul changed his name to Paul.
Jacobs name was changed to Israel.

If you want to change your name, do it.

But let your name change reflect yourself as a new creation in Christ.
Whats most important is whether or not God knows you, not by your name, but by your relationship with Him.

Change your name and serve the Lord the rest of your life.

In my opinion, the fact that you are concerned about the feelings of your family, and the memory of those who have been called home to the presence of the Lord, reveals your true heart.

By thinking of them first, you have honored them.

Well done.

Enjoy your new name.

To what extent do you think your name personifies you? For example if you have a name of someone mentioned in the Bible, do you act like that person?

The tradition of name giving I suppose comes from Genesis, from the time when Adam gave a name to all things on earth, so that he would then have authority over them.

When God changed the names of some of the patriarchs for example he had authority over them.

In effect Israel belongs to God because God named it!

Remember the same thing happened to Daniel when he was in Exile. The Babylonians changed his name to claim authority over him.

Hello,
My name is José and I'm tired of it. I'm hispanic and if it's not José... it's Hector, Juan, Angel, etc. (I know your laughing. ) And if your a latin woman it's Maria, Carmen, etc. You get the idea. I've been wanting to change my common name to a not-so-common name now for years.
Both my mother & father have now past away.
Does anyone believe that I will be committing a SIN if I change my name?
Will I, in fact be breaking the Fifth Commandment? "[FONT=Arial, Geneva, Helvetica]Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.(Det.5:16 KJV)[/FONT]!"
I want to change the first & the last names.
What do you think?
:confused:

Dear Ambassador of Christ,

May God be with you!

It is not a sin.

You don't say how old you are so I have no idea of the repercussions with friends and finances needing to know your change. also it may be hard for friends and family to quit calling you your "old" name. So if you do change, I hope you are patient with others!

Since I do not come from your background, I do not understand the issues you are having. I do know that as a child with the name of Prusinski, I faced many fights after school and vandalism at my home ( and this was in Sioux City, Iowa!!!) But I never wanted to change my name....I just kicked harder! ;)

Anyway, God bless you and I hope you become reconciled with what ever you do.

Jacob changed his name to Israel, I suppose if you have a good reasoning behind the name change it's alright.
I would however keep your last name.

Back