'Burning for God?'

Hi everyone. I'm looking for clarity...I feel uneasy about phrases such as 'on fire for God'. My understanding is that the Bible talks about purification by fire, baptism by fire and similar, but I see these as subtly yet definitively different from concepts such as being on fire, which to my mind is something that happens in hell....I understand that folks mean they want to be all totally invested for God as opposed to lukewarm, and I'm not trying to play semantics. Words have power, and if something like that sits awkwardly with scripture, I want to know.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for clarity...I feel uneasy about phrases such as 'on fire for God'. My understanding is that the Bible talks about purification by fire, baptism by fire and similar, but I see these as subtly yet definitively different from concepts such as being on fire, which to my mind is something that happens in hell....I understand that folks mean they want to be all totally invested for God as opposed to lukewarm, and I'm not trying to play semantics. Words have power, and if something like that sits awkwardly with scripture, I want to know.

You might want to keep your distance from those "On Fire for God". They could be combustible!;)

Honestly, what do you think that means???

It means IMO......."EXCITED".

Romans 10:17 says,...………..
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

God’s Word is the truth, and it can guide us through times of trial, confusion, and discouragement. Jesus gave us an example of how to use God’s Word when He was tried by Satan in the desert; three times He used Scripture to refute the lies of the devil and resist his schemes.

The key to remember is that in order to use the weapon of God’s Word effectively, we must read it regularly. If we do not know what His Word says and what it means, how will we recognize when the enemy has lied to us or distorted the truth? When we study His Word, we are building up our faith and strengthening the barrier between the storms of life and the flame God put in our hearts.

Well when Jesus tells us to be salt and light, and not put our light under a bushel, hes saying shine out to everyone. In the old days they did not have lightbulbs they had candles. So thats where the fire come from, when you light the candle.

One of the symbols and important items in the temple was the menorah, or lampstand. It had seven candles and needed to be lit and burning at all times. Otherwise nobody could see anything!

We are to be a light to all men...Jesus was a light to the gentiles. Look it up in the Bible its all there!

Well when Jesus tells us to be salt and light, and not put our light under a bushel, hes saying shine out to everyone. In the old days they did not have lightbulbs they had candles. So thats where the fire come from, when you light the candle.

One of the symbols and important items in the temple was the menorah, or lampstand. It had seven candles and needed to be lit and burning at all times. Otherwise nobody could see anything!

We are to be a light to all men...Jesus was a light to the gentiles. Look it up in the Bible its all there!
Thanks Lanolin. That was genuinely helpful and enlightening! I never thought about it in terms of a candle light.

Hello Ell;

Good posts to your thread. I have heard of "being on fire for God," meaning excitement and zeal for following Christ, or giving a "fire and brimstone" sermon, meaning an intense message of God's wrath to the unfaithful. These two are "expressions" from the heart and to be truthful, this intentional verbage of the believer is all good.

What you are comparing is the theological context from the Scripture, which you correctly distinguish.

Another example. The Bible correctly uses
"longing" meaning desire for the Lord. If I used "longing" for my wife, meaning I love being with my wife, in this case it may sound awkward if used in front of her and others. Then later I would get a scolding from her that may last a longing time. lol!

God bless you and your family.

Back