Buying A New Bible... Advice?

Interesting.

I'm of the old fashioned "mankind" means men and women view. Sometimes man or woman may need to be specified but also, "man" can be gender neutral. Or maybe I'm just an old misogynist....
I can completely see where you are coming from here. I was actually really surprised to learn about this. I kinda figured people got that since we are called humans. Apparently I'm not with the times either. I can appreciate the effort, but I don't need it to understand the difference between a situation where man is a gender and one where man is shorthand for humanity. (We going to rename that next? *puzzled*) But I'm derailing my own thread, so I'll leave that topic here. :LOL:

I haven't read everyone elses response. I'll just tell you what has worked for me.

I read three versions, one of which is a study bible. I do not read the NIV because I don't find it a reliable source for various reasons. I don't like the other bibles that put everything in layman's terms because again, it's just someones interpretation and not necessarily correct.

I read the KJV, NKJV, and ESV. My husband and I share the NKJV Holman Study Bible and enjoy it for quick reference, but sometimes the interpretations are not as clear or even correct (IMO and from other sources), but it is still a solid study bible that I highly recommend unless you want to purchase commentary books.

I've been reading the bible regularly for two years and have yet to mark my bible as well, and let me just say that I regret it greatly. There are so many scriptures I want to go back on and I have forgotten where they are exactly. Perhaps I remember the book, but not the chapter/verse. I highly recommend writing in your bible, plus using a notebook for notes.

Back