Calvinism - the T.U.L.I.P. Part 4

Arminianism and Calvinism beliefs have been debated for over 200 years. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

This post will only cover the I. in T.U.L.I.P.

Calvinism - Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected; it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.

Arminianism - The Holy Spirit Can Be Effectually Resisted

The Spirit calls inwardly all those who are called outwardly by the gospel invitation; He does all that He can to bring every sinner to salvation. But inasmuch as man is free, he can successfully resist the Spirit's call. The Spirit doesn’t regenerate the sinner until he believes; faith (which is man's contribution) proceeds and makes possible the new birth. The Holy Spirit can only draw to Christ those who allow Him to have His way with them. Until the sinner responds, the Spirit doesn’t give life. God's grace, therefore, is not invincible; it can be, and often is, resisted and thwarted by man.

Resistible Grace

The Spirit calls inwardly all those who hear and understand to the gospel. If we respond to his call and believe in Jesus, He gives everything we need to receive his gift. He gives us our faith, our ability to repent, His grace, the cleansing of our sins by the blood of Jesus, and eternal life. Now here comes the part that some people never mention. Satan is real. God has ALLOWED him to roam the world for a time. Before our eyes are opened by God Satan has complete control over us. When God calls, Satan does his absolute best to keep that control. There is a battle going on. Man must make a choice. The lies of Satan or the truth of God. By our choice to answer God’s call He is truly glorified. We are then elected to His church that was predestined to receive salvation.

Back