Can A Christian Have A Demon?

Euphemia

Account Closed
Can a Christian have a demon?

C:\Users\Client\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.png
Why this question is so very important

This is perhaps the single most important question that is asked concerning deliverance ministry. Let me first say that it is Satan's #1 lie to keep demons from being cast out. How is that? Because if Christians could not have demons, then what is the point in driving them out, if all we had to do was get the person saved and their demons would leave on their own? That would leave us casting demons out of people who refuse to accept Jesus as their lord and savior! It is my experience that those who claim that Christians cannot have demons are not even casting them out of non-believers.

Deliverance is NOT for non-believers

The truth is that if we went about casting demons out of non-believers, then we would be ignoring some very important things that Jesus had to say about the deliverance ministry. Consider these passages in scripture:

But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. Matthew 15:26

In the above verse, Jesus was speaking with a woman outside covenant with God, concerning casting a demon out of her daughter. Jesus made it very clear that this ministry was not intended for those outside covenant with God.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation. Matthew 12:43-45

In the above passage, Jesus was making it very clear that if we cast a demon out of somebody who rejects Jesus as their Lord and savior, then we are setting that person up for a disaster.

One of the serious flaws in the idea of casting demons out of non-believers is that the demons have a right to be there, and unless a person accepts Jesus, that right cannot be removed or nullified. The Bible tells us that when our sins are forgiven, the unclean spirits are stripped of their legal grounds in our lives:

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Colossians 2:13-15

Unfortunately, a non-believer cannot have their legal grounds removed, therefore, attempting to drive out a demon can be a dangerous scenario.

"But light cannot dwell with darkness!"

Many Christians assume that because they have the Holy Spirit, darkness cannot dwell in them. But they fail to recognize the darkness that can exist in a Christian's mind, such as lust, ungodly anger, weaknesses, and so forth. This is darkness, isn't it? Even Paul said that there was evil indeed present in him:

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not... I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. Romans 7:17-18,21

How could Paul have evil present in him, and at the same time, be filled with the Holy Spirit? It is because Paul, as any human being, was composed of three parts. He was a spirit, lived in a physical body and possessed or had a soul. A soul is different from the spirit. The spirit is the real you, which is united with the Holy Spirit if you are in Christ. Your soul is your mind, will and emotions. Your mind, will and emotions are where the darkness can remain long after you've accepted Jesus and were washed from your sins. This is where unclean spirits can remain, along with your physical body. The Bible makes a clear distinction between a person's soul and their spirit:

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Also look at this passage where the soul and spirit are said to be separate from each other:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Your spirit is born again and made new the moment you accepted Jesus, but your mind, will, and emotions were not born again. If this were true, then you would have shed all the evil thoughts, desires and lusts all at once the moment you accepted Jesus. Consider this passage, and it is obvious that all the baggage does not leave a believer's soul the moment they are born again... but something is made new and old things have passed away - that is because it is speaking of your spirit!

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

Was this intended for believers? Or non-believers?

When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses. Matthew 8:16-17

Here was Jesus demonstrating the benefits of the new covenant between God and His people, and in doing so, He was driving out demons and healing the sick. Now let me ask you this: Was Christ's payment for our physical healing (by His stripes we are healed) for non-believers or believers? Believers of course! Then I believe this passage makes it very clear that deliverance (involving casting out demons) and our physical healing is a benefit meant for the believer!

You don't have to be a lunatic to have a demon!

A common misunderstanding is that you have to be a lunatic in order to have a demon. This is not true, and any studying of this subject in the Bible will make this very clear. Consider the man who was perfectly sane mentally, but could not speak nor see because he had an unclean spirit which hindered his speech:

Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. Matthew 12:22

Another example is the woman who was bound with a spirit of infirmity. She was clearly not a lunatic, but merely had a physical infirmity caused by an unclean spirit:

And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day. The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day? Luke 13:10-16

"Possessed with a devil" in the NT Greek

Nowadays, the word possessed infers ownership, such as our possessions. But if you look this phrase up in the NT Greek, we find an entirely different meaning. The phrase possessed with a devil translates back to the Greek word daimonizomai, which means to have a demon or to be vexed (meaning tormented) by one. Demons do not own people, there is no scriptural evidence of such a thing - not even in the life of a non-believer!

If you look up the accounts in the Bible of demon possession, we find people who either have demons or are being tormented by them. This can manifest in both the physical body or the soul (a person's mind, will, and emotions).

"But the deliverance ministry ended with Jesus' ministry!"

This is simply not true, and we don't have to read far into our Bibles to find this out. After Jesus rose again, He appeared to His disciples and gave them the great commission:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Mark 16:15-17

If we continue reading into the book of Acts, we will find that the early church was also active in the ministry of deliverance:

And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed. Acts 8:6-7

Also, if you research the early church fathers, those not written about in the Bible, they were also very active in the ministry of deliverance!

http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/christian_demon.php

Sister, it's so hard to accept. Yes we can have demons but, not living in our souls. You said your daughter experienced this? How did you know the demon possessed her soul?

Sister, it's so hard to accept. Yes we can have demons but, not living in our souls. You said your daughter experienced this? How did you know the demon possessed her soul?

I am sure it is hard for some people to accept and it falls on deaf ears sometimes when people us their own personal experiences with this to try to prove the truth of it, but that is what we have. The truth of it has been born out in my own family and my own life.

It is proven that demons take people's minds, and parts of our thinking, if we give them ground. Some of them take simply by virtue of their being attached to certain things, unknowingly to the person. Trauma brings with it demonic attack. So does rejection and abuse. The person who is victimized often has a demonic attachment as the result of his/her harrowing experiences.

As for my daughter, she was a deeply spiritual young girl, who loved Jesus and sought Him through His word regularly, but when she asked Holy Spirit to come in, in His fullness, that is when the demons began to act out in bizarre ways. I knew that this was happening because Holy Spirit gave me the discernment about it. They were having a kind of temper tantrum, trying to assert their rights to be there that she had innocently given them when she was only 10 years old, and had suffered a rejection that must have affected her worse than anyone thought. One of the demons that was cast out gave its name as "Rejection", and said he had been there for "10".

We know that Jesus was dwelling in her spirit, and her spirit was born again and pure and holy, but her mind had these things in it---which is her soul.

She is free today and serving the Lord Jesus Christ with her whole life---she's a wonderful Christian woman that anyone would want to emulate.

Last edited:
Looked up on this topic, I happen to agree on below:

Question: "Can a Christian be demon possessed? Can a Christian be demonized?"

Answer:
While the Bible does not explicitly state whether a Christian can be possessed by a demon, related biblical truths make it abundantly clear that Christians cannot be demon possessed. There is a distinct difference between being possessed by a demon and being oppressed or influenced by a demon. Demon possession involves a demon having direct/complete control over the thoughts and/or actions of a person (Matthew 17:14-18; Luke 4:33-35; 8:27-33). Demon oppression or influence involves a demon or demons attacking a person spiritually and/or encouraging him/her into sinful behavior. Notice that in all the New Testament passages dealing with spiritual warfare, there are no instructions to cast a demon out of a believer (Ephesians 6:10-18). Believers are told to resist the devil (James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9), not to cast him out.

Christians are indwelt by the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19). Surely the Holy Spirit would not allow a demon to possess the same person He is indwelling. It is unthinkable that God would allow one of His children, whom He purchased with the blood of Christ (1 Peter 1:18-19) and made into a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17), to be possessed and controlled by a demon. Yes, as believers, we wage war with Satan and his demons, but not from within ourselves. The apostle John declares, “You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4). Who is the One in us? The Holy Spirit. Who is the one in the world? Satan and his demons. Therefore, the believer has overcome the world of demons, and the case for demon possession of a believer cannot be made scripturally.

With the strong biblical evidence that a Christian cannot be demon possessed in view, some Bible teachers use the term “demonization” to refer to a demon having control over a Christian. Some argue that while a Christian cannot be demon possessed, a Christian can be demonized. Typically, the description of demonization is virtually identical to the description of demon possession. So, the same issue results. Changing the terminology does not change the fact that a demon cannot inhabit or take full control of a Christian. Demonic influence and oppression are realities for Christians, no doubt, but it is simply not biblical to say that a Christian can be possessed by a demon or demonized.

Much of the reasoning behind the demonization concept is the personal experience of seeing someone who was “definitely” a Christian exhibiting evidence of being controlled by a demon. It is crucially important, though, that we do not allow personal experience to influence our interpretation of Scripture. Rather, we must filter our personal experiences through the truth of Scripture (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Seeing someone whom we thought to be a Christian exhibiting the behavior of being demonized should cause us to question the genuineness of his/her faith. It should not cause us alter our viewpoint on whether a Christian can be demon possessed / demonized. Perhaps the person truly is a Christian but is severely demon oppressed and/or suffering from severe psychological problems. But again, our experiences must meet the test of Scripture, not the other way around.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-demon-possessed.html#ixzz34KbCVDy8

aha---look up body, soul and spirit, and realize that we are created as tripartite beings. Did you actually read the OP?

aha---look up body, soul and spirit, and realize that we are created as tripartite beings. Did you actually read the OP?

I read the OP, as well as the home page's Faith Statement, I noticed they are focused on deliverance.
With 4 lines related to the topic....

http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/faith_statement.php

Faith Statement

What we believe
The Word of God
The Trinity
Sin
The fallen state of man
The need of a savior
Hell is real
Salvation
The new birth experience
Jesus Christ
Water Baptism
Baptism of the Holy Spirit
The reality of demons
The workings of demons
Casting out demons

Divine healing

I read the OP, as well as the home page's Faith Statement, I noticed they are focused on deliverance.
With 4 lines related to the topic....

http://www.greatbiblestudy.com/faith_statement.php

Faith Statement

What we believe
The Word of God
The Trinity
Sin
The fallen state of man
The need of a savior
Hell is real
Salvation
The new birth experience
Jesus Christ
Water Baptism
Baptism of the Holy Spirit
The reality of demons
The workings of demons
Casting out demons

Divine healing

Good for them!

Don't forget these!

Latest Teachings

Breaking Addictions
Get the root for real freedom

12 Vital Keys to Healing
Jesus healed them ALL!

Worthy to Receive Healing

Bearing Kingdom Fruit
What is our personal role?

Doing the WORKS of God
The works JESUS did!!

The fear of the Lord
It's not what you think!

Radical Deliverance Practices
Public exorcism & manifestation

Communion and Judgment
Exposing a misunderstanding

God's will when prayer fails
More on God's will to heal

What to do with our feelings
Fear, guilt, shame, etc.

The Accusing Spirit
The voice of condemnation

Prosperity Gospel
Is it Biblical to be blessed?

How to overcome rejection
Correcting a mistaken identity

I am sure it is hard for some people to accept and it falls on deaf ears sometimes when people us their own personal experiences with this to try to prove the truth of it, but that is what we have. The truth of it has been born out in my own family and my own life.

It is proven that demons take people's minds, and parts of our thinking, if we give them ground. Some of them take simply by virtue of their being attached to certain things, unknowingly to the person. Trauma brings with it demonic attack. So does rejection and abuse. The person who is victimized often has a demonic attachment as the result of his/her harrowing experiences.

As for my daughter, she was a deeply spiritual young girl, who loved Jesus and sought Him through His word regularly, but when she asked Holy Spirit to come in, in His fullness, that is when the demons began to act out in bizarre ways. I knew that this was happening because Holy Spirit gave me the discernment about it. They were having a kind of temper tantrum, trying to assert their rights to be there that she had innocently given them when she was only 10 years old, and had suffered a rejection that must have affected her worse than anyone thought. One of the demons that was cast out gave its name as "Rejection", and said he had been there for "10".

We know that Jesus was dwelling in her spirit, and her spirit was born again and pure and holy, but her mind had these things in it---which is her soul.

She is free today and serving the Lord Jesus Christ with her whole life---she's a wonderful Christian woman that anyone would want to emulate.

I just read your post#4 after I posted above.
I believe your personal experience.... and I do not see it in contradiction to what I posted above.

"to come in" ...... it means not yet then.
"She is free today" "and a wonderful Christian woman"
Am happy to hear that and am convinced as well by what Paul has observed:

Romans 8:38-39

New International Version (NIV)
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

So, the demon was acting out from inside her?

She had major strongholds in her soul. Many people do and don't realize it. I am grateful to God for bringing them to light so that she could be set free and have the life He desires to give her.

The devil meant it for evil, attacking her even when she was a child, most likely because he could see the markers on her life that God had placed there to try to divert her from God's plan, but God turned it for good.

I just read your post#4 after I posted above.
I believe your personal experience.... and I do not see it in contradiction to what I posted above.

"to come in" ...... it means not yet then.
"She is free today" "and a wonderful Christian woman"
Am happy to hear that and am convinced as well by what Paul has observed:

Romans 8:38-39

New International Version (NIV)
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Amen.

This is perhaps the single most important question that is asked concerning deliverance ministry. Let me first say that it is Satan's #1 lie to keep demons from being cast out. How is that? Because if Christians could not have demons, then what is the point in driving them out, if all we had to do was get the person saved and their demons would leave on their own? That would leave us casting demons out of people who refuse to accept Jesus as their lord and savior! It is my experience that those who claim that Christians cannot have demons are not even casting them out of non-believers.

The truth is that if we went about casting demons out of non-believers, then we would be ignoring some very important things that Jesus had to say about the deliverance ministry. Consider these passages in scripture:

But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. Matthew 15:26

In the above verse, Jesus was speaking with a woman outside covenant with God, concerning casting a demon out of her daughter. Jesus made it very clear that this ministry was not intended for those outside covenant with God.

When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation. Matthew 12:43-45

In the above passage, Jesus was making it very clear that if we cast a demon out of somebody who rejects Jesus as their Lord and savior, then we are setting that person up for a disaster.

One of the serious flaws in the idea of casting demons out of non-believers is that the demons have a right to be there, and unless a person accepts Jesus, that right cannot be removed or nullified. The Bible tells us that when our sins are forgiven, the unclean spirits are stripped of their legal grounds in our lives:

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Colossians 2:13-15

Unfortunately, a non-believer cannot have their legal grounds removed, therefore, attempting to drive out a demon can be a dangerous scenario.

Many Christians assume that because they have the Holy Spirit, darkness cannot dwell in them. But they fail to recognize the darkness that can exist in a Christian's mind, such as lust, ungodly anger, weaknesses, and so forth. This is darkness, isn't it? Even Paul said that there was evil indeed present in him:

Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not... I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. Romans 7:17-18,21

How could Paul have evil present in him, and at the same time, be filled with the Holy Spirit? It is because Paul, as any human being, was composed of three parts. He was a spirit, lived in a physical body and possessed or had a soul. A soul is different from the spirit. The spirit is the real you, which is united with the Holy Spirit if you are in Christ. Your soul is your mind, will and emotions. Your mind, will and emotions are where the darkness can remain long after you've accepted Jesus and were washed from your sins. This is where unclean spirits can remain, along with your physical body. The Bible makes a clear distinction between a person's soul and their spirit:

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Also look at this passage where the soul and spirit are said to be separate from each other:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Your spirit is born again and made new the moment you accepted Jesus, but your mind, will, and emotions were not born again. If this were true, then you would have shed all the evil thoughts, desires and lusts all at once the moment you accepted Jesus. Consider this passage, and it is obvious that all the baggage does not leave a believer's soul the moment they are born again... but something is made new and old things have passed away - that is because it is speaking of your spirit!

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17

When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses. Matthew 8:16-17

Here was Jesus demonstrating the benefits of the new covenant between God and His people, and in doing so, He was driving out demons and healing the sick. Now let me ask you this: Was Christ's payment for our physical healing (by His stripes we are healed) for non-believers or believers? Believers of course! Then I believe this passage makes it very clear that deliverance (involving casting out demons) and our physical healing is a benefit meant for the believer!

A common misunderstanding is that you have to be a lunatic in order to have a demon. This is not true, and any studying of this subject in the Bible will make this very clear. Consider the man who was perfectly sane mentally, but could not speak nor see because he had an unclean spirit which hindered his speech:

Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw. Matthew 12:22

Another example is the woman who was bound with a spirit of infirmity. She was clearly not a lunatic, but merely had a physical infirmity caused by an unclean spirit:

And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath. And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself. And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity. And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God. And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day. The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering? And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day? Luke 13:10-16

Nowadays, the word possessed infers ownership, such as our possessions. But if you look this phrase up in the NT Greek, we find an entirely different meaning. The phrase possessed with a devil translates back to the Greek word daimonizomai, which means to have a demon or to be vexed (meaning tormented) by one. Demons do not own people, there is no scriptural evidence of such a thing - not even in the life of a non-believer!

If you look up the accounts in the Bible of demon possession, we find people who either have demons or are being tormented by them. This can manifest in both the physical body or the soul (a person's mind, will, and emotions).

This is simply not true, and we don't have to read far into our Bibles to find this out. After Jesus rose again, He appeared to His disciples and gave them the great commission:

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Mark 16:15-17

If we continue reading into the book of Acts, we will find that the early church was also active in the ministry of deliverance:

And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. For unclean spirits, crying with loud voice, came out of many that were possessed with them: and many taken with palsies, and that were lame, were healed. Acts 8:6-7

Also, if you research the early church fathers, those not written about in the Bible, they were also very active in the ministry of deliverance!

This is a rehash of a topic from another thread that was closed, and I am sure this one will be also.

Your comments, although well articulated do not expound the Biblical proof that a Christian can NOT be "possessed" by a demon. Oppressed, yes....possessed NO!

The collective teaching of Scripture is that demons can never spatially indwell a true believer. A clear implication of 2 Corinthians 6, for example, is that the indwelling Holy Spirit could never cohabit with demons:
"What harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, “I will dwell in them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people” (vv. 15–16).

In Colossians 1:13, Paul says God “delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son.” Salvation brings true deliverance and protection from Satan.

Princeton theologian and scholar Dr. Charles Hodge rightly warned:
"No amount of learning, no superiority of talent, nor even the pretension to inspiration, can justify a departure from the . . . truths taught by men to whose inspiration God has borne witness. All teachers must be brought to this standard; and even if an angel from heaven should teach anything contrary to the Scriptures, he should be regarded as anathema, Gal. 1:8. It is a matter of constant gratitude that we have such a standard whereby to try the spirits whether they be of God (Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans [Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1972], p. 395).

Bible facts:
1. There is not one clear example in the Bible where a demon ever inhabited or invaded a true believer.
2. Never in the New Testament epistles are believers warned about the possibility of being inhabited by demons.
3. Neither do we see anyone rebuking, binding, or casting demons out of a true believer.
4. The epistles never instruct believers to cast out demons, whether from a believer or unbeliever.
5. Christ and the apostles are the ones who cast out demons, and in every instance the demon-possessed people were unbelievers.

In Colossians 1:13, Paul says God...........
“delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son.”

Salvation brings true deliverance and protection from Satan.

In Romans 8:37, Paul says......
" we overwhelmingly conquer through Christ".

In 1 Corinthians 15:57, he says.....
" God gives us the victory".

In 2 Corinthians 2:14, he says........
" God always leads us in triumph."

In 1 John 2:13, John says ......
"we have overcome the evil one. " And, in 4:4, he says the indwelling Holy Spirit is greater than Satan. How could anyone affirm those glorious truths, yet believe demons can indwell genuine believers?

We must always remember to be accountable to the Word of God and not our personal emotions.

Last edited:
This is a rehash of a topic from another thread that was closed, and I am sure this one will be also.

Your comments, although well articulated do not expound the Biblical proof that a Christian can NOT be "possessed" by a demon. Oppressed, yes....possessed NO!

No one has said anything about possession, here. The differentiation is old school. the affliction that people who have accepted jesus as Saviour undergo is misery just the same!

We must always remember to be accountable to the Word of God and not our personal emotions.

That's right, Major!

Hello Ephemia, I must admit I've tried to read what you've written above but keep being distracted by the hussle and bussle of the house but I get your thread and basically agree. I think you said elsewhere that we are indeed a triune being with Spirit, soul and body and two direct opposite natures seeking to govern our lives, the spirit (no darkness at all) and the flesh (dwells no good thing). I think we're of the same mind that a Christian might not be able to be possessed (unless they fall away) but in our flesh dwells no good thing, those who walk on the flesh or are in-experienced Christians, can be very vunerable to attack of the enemy and as you've testified of, in some severe ways.

I would share that we've been involved in casting out spirits in an unbeliever's lives and casting away (i'll term it) some pretty severe spirits which have gained a foothold in Christian's lives, very real and I think we ignore or marginalise these events at our peril.....

Hello Ephemia, I must admit I've tried to read what you've written above but keep being distracted by the hussle and bussle of the house but I get your thread and basically agree. I think you said elsewhere that we are indeed a triune being with Spirit, soul and body and two direct opposite natures seeking to govern our lives, the spirit (no darkness at all) and the flesh (dwells no good thing). I think we're of the same mind that a Christian might not be able to be possessed (unless they fall away) but in our flesh dwells no good thing, those who walk on the flesh or are in-experienced Christians, can be very vunerable to attack of the enemy and as you've testified of, in some severe ways.

I would share that we've been involved in casting out spirits in an unbeliever's lives and casting away (i'll term it) some pretty severe spirits which have gained a foothold in Christian's lives, very real and I think we ignore or marginalise these events at our peril.....

I agree, brother.

Its things that people innocently do.

Yoga
Acupuncture
Meditation
Horoscopes (reading them even)
Music - Beyoncé, blatantly ungodly and antichrist music
viewing images, satanic, or movies that are not clean
reading bad material / having it in your house (occultic, witchcraft,, "new age")
Oprah winfrey and family
sex outside of marriage or sex outside God's plan (adultery, fornication, same sex, incest, anything ungodly)

just because celebrities do these doesn't mean you wont open up doors in your soul by engaging in this. keep your life near God.

Let the Holy Spirit direct you over each and everything you let enter your mouth, your eyes, your senses basically, your ears, and sexually - let that be in marriage. its the only cover to protect you.

if you done any of the above, the only way to cut ties with the enemy is to divorce him. throw away, burn, break up bad relationships, repent and turn back fully to Him (so your not possessed again). stop whatever bad habit. and start afresh in Him.

Lovies and warm hearts. :)

very informative

though I think there aren't really any scriptural passages that directly address this, and lack of is not really 100% proof in my opinion

either way, I hope you are right.

but that story I have read on the Christian brother was punished in a memoir written by this Chinese elder who is well known within the Chinese Christian community, I don't think he is someone who would lie about this kind of thing.

Sometimes, even believers get caught up in the excitement of what they perceive to be reality and before they no it, reality has been exaggerated, stretched, and manipulated into what THEY want that reality to be.

Example: Several years ago in a prayer meeting, one lovely sweet Christian lady told the assembly that Jesus Christ had personal came to her in the night, pulled two of her teeth and replaced them with Gold ones and the whole congregation was praising the Lord and shouting amen!

Afterwards, when the pastor talked to her, she told him that she had been to a dentist, he had pulled her teeth and replaced them with the gold teeth. She was 85 years old and she simply wanted God to get all the glory for her recovery. That WANT to lead her to stretch the story to make it appear that Jesus Himself had done the work for her. Of course in her mind that is what she wanted to happen.......so it did. Unfortunately, a lot of well meaning people only heard the original story and of course passed that along to others as truth. In a way it was, but in the strict understanding of what reality is, it was not truth to anyone except her.

Back