Can all sins be forgiven?

U

Unregistered

Can all sins be forgiven?

Hi, my name is Olivier, I'm 36, i'm baptised as a christian but i'm new to what it means to be a christian and to believe; this is why i didn't register.
I started my reading of the bible with Genesis, Gospels and Proverbs. Proverbs are been a powerful mind-opener for me, but as I read through I also come to realize how bad i am and now i come to regret things i've done at an earlier stage of my life. I already felt sorry for people that i've hurt, but now i do feel sorry for myself too. I'm working on puting more Wisdom into my life, but the more i understand the value of it -it works right here, right now!- the heavier the burden of what i've done weights on me.

So now i wonder: Can all sins be forgiven?
And are there any ways to 'repair' or at least 'settle' sins so that I can feel better in reading the Word, without been afraid to turn the pages and feel worst and worst as i'll understand more?

Thanks for your time,
Olivier

The 'wiehgt' of sin is always hard to ignore, but a key thing to remember is that Yes, when you repent and ask for forgiveness you will be forgiven and cleansed of your sins. I can't speak for others but I do still feel bad for my past sins, the thing to keep remembering is that while we may still feel them, God has forgiven us and no longer considers those sins as happening at all.

Don't fear about forgiveness.

Proverbs 28:13 (King James Version)

13He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.
Colossians 2:13 (New International Version)

13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
1 John 1:9 (King James Version)

9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

First of all, I hope when you say you were "baptized as a Christian" that you mean you were saved and then baptized. Baptism cannot save you. It is simply a display to others that you have trusted in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Salvation is by faith in Christ alone. Plus nothing. Minus nothing. Salvation is this:

1. Acknowledge that you're a sinner
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. - Romans 3:23
2. Believe that Jesus Christ paid the penalty for those sins.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 6:23

3. Accept that payment and confess Jesus as your Lord.
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. - Romans 10:9
That is real salvation. I hope and pray that is what you mean when you say you're a Christian. If not, please talk with me. I'd love to help you understand what Christianity is all about.

As far as your sins, yes, we all feel guilty about the sins we've committed and the sins that we still commit. The wonderful thing is that God is a great God, and He can forgive us of all our sins.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. - I John 1:9
When Christ died on the cross, He paid for each and every one of our sins. As far as He's concerned, they no longer exist. For our peace of mind, we need to confess our sins to God and ask for forgiveness. He forgives and forgets.

Satan, however, doesn't want us to forget. He will constantly try to tell us that we're not good enough to serve God. He will make us feel guilty over sins that God has already forgotten. This is just one of the many ways he tries to distract us from serving the Lord. We must fight him. To do that, we must use the armor of the Lord spoken of in Ephesians 6.

The Christian walk is a wonderful thing, but it isn't going to be a piece of cake. Rest easy in knowing, however, that if you have trusted Christ as your Savior, He will be with you every step of the way.

If you have more questions, please let me know. If you'd like to read some short devotions that might help you understand Christianity and the Bible a little better, you can visit my blog, A Word Fitly Spoken, by clicking on the link in my signature. Don't worry, it's free.

I hope I have been of some help to you. My prayers are with you.

First of all, I hope when you say you were "baptized as a Christian" that you mean you were saved and then baptized. Baptism cannot save you. It is simply a display to others that you have trusted in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Salvation is by faith in Christ alone.

I respectfully disagree that Baptism is not part of one’s salvation. Baptism is demonstrated numerous times throughout the New Testament as part of one’s salvation and part of our salvation that can only come from Christ. In Mark 16:16 we find: “who believes and is baptized will be saved”. In Acts 2:38 we find: “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins”. In Acts 22:16 we find: “Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins”.

I acknowledge the right to each individual’s right to their own beliefs. I have made the preceding remarks because they reflect my belief on the subject and thought it appropriate to chime in with my point of view as I believe it merits consideration among other beliefs. I am not trying to incite an argument, I am only representing my understanding of baptism which I have done a thorough study (by this last comment, I am not claiming people with opposing views have not themselves done a thorough study).

Below I have placed the preceding scripture references in their fullness and added additional scripture for further insight.

Matthew 28:19 (NKJV)
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

Mark 16:15-16 (NKJV)
15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

Acts 2:36-38 (NKJV)
36 “Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Men and brethren, what shall we do?” 38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 19:2-6 (NKJV)
2 he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” So they said to him, “We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said to them, “Into what then were you baptized?” So they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Then Paul said, “John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied.

Acts 22:14-16 (NKJV)
14 Then he said, ‘The God of our fathers has chosen you that you should know His will, and see the Just One, and hear the voice of His mouth. 15 For you will be His witness to all men of what you have seen and heard. 16 And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’

Romans 6:3-5 (NKJV)
3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection

Galatians 3:26-27 (NKJV)
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Colossians 2:11-12 (NKJV)
11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.

1 Peter 3:20-21 (NKJV)
20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. 21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

I respectfully disagree that Baptism is not part of one’s salvation. Baptism is demonstrated numerous times throughout the New Testament as part of one’s salvation and part of our salvation that can only come from Christ. .

I understand your viewpoint. In fact, I know of many others who share that view. My response to them is the same as to you: What do you do with the thief on the cross? He had no opportunity to be baptized, yet Jesus said, "Today, thou shalt be with me in paradise." If baptism is a requirement for salvation, then either Jesus lied (not possible) or the rules of salvation have changed (also not possible).

Like you, I am not trying to start an argument. My main concern is that it is clear that salvation cannot occur without first trusting in the Lord. I think we can agree on that. It is not the waters of a baptismal pool that save. If it were, Jesus would not have had to die on the cross. His sacrifice would have been for nothing.

I understand your viewpoint. In fact, I know of many others who share that view. My response to them is the same as to you: What do you do with the thief on the cross? He had no opportunity to be baptized, yet Jesus said, "Today, thou shalt be with me in paradise." If baptism is a requirement for salvation, then either Jesus lied (not possible) or the rules of salvation have changed (also not possible).

Like you, I am not trying to start an argument. My main concern is that it is clear that salvation cannot occur without first trusting in the Lord. I think we can agree on that. It is not the waters of a baptismal pool that save. If it were, Jesus would not have had to die on the cross. His sacrifice would have been for nothing.

I'm not going to argue my position on this thread, I think the scriptures speak for themselves. I do not think my viewpoint contradicts the rest of the Bible INCLUDING the thief on the cross. If you wish to continue discussing this topic, please send me a PM and we can talk further there so we do not derail the thread at hand.

I respectfully disagree that Baptism is not part of one’s salvation.

I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea that Baptism saves. For one thing, if Baptism were the means of salvation, then what would have been the purpose of Christ's atonement on the cross?

Also, if Baptism saves, then shouldn't I be running through the airport with a "Super Soaker" and baptizsing everyone I see?

I do agree with Jaerod that Baptism is necessary for any Christian. In fact, for anyone to say that they are a Christian, and yet, deny that we are commanded to Baptize, and to be Baptized, I would say has a poor concept of Christianity.

However, to state that Baptism is "NECESSARY" for salvation, is to deny that salvation is by faith alone, and that salvation is by faith "PLUS" mans works, hense, the glory is not God's but rather it is partially Gods, and man gets to share in the glory.

It is true, and it is recorded in Mark 16:16 that he who believes and is baptized shall be saved, it is equally true and recorded in that same verse, that he who does not believe, shall be damned.

Therefore, "I" believe that this clearly states that it is faith ALONE that saves, (Sola Fide) and the absence of faith that damns. Not baptism.

In the sacraments, (The Holy Eucharist, and Baptism) we do recieve Gods Grace, and the forgiveness of sins, this is true, but I do not believe that God is constrained to those events in order to provide faith to anyone, and it is faith that saves.

Faith is not something you or I do, faith is a gift from God, and I believe that God is able to give that saving faith to whomever, and in any way that He chooses.

Likewise, there are those who believe that faith is the result of mans knowledge, and that a person must "know" or somehow, make a conscious effort to "BE Saved".
If that is a persons belief, then I suppose they would see the act of Baptism as a necessary work in order to Be, or to Get saved.

I will not elevate one Doctrine above another, but I will state that after 6 weeks of Catechism classes, I often ask my adult students (childrens classes are 2 years, not 6 weeks) if they believe that Salvation was given to them on the Cross 2,000 years ago?

Or if salvation is something that they have to learn, or do, or meet a certain age requirement for, or that it has to be by water? or Oil? or by Aspersion, or Affusion, or Submersion, Immersion?

To those who have it set firmly in their heart that Baptism is necessary in addition to faith, or that it must be performed in a particular way, method, at a certain age, etc... I accept that fact, when it happens, and I think that God has led them in a particular doctrinal belief, and I contact an appropriate Pastor from a denomination that is in aggreement with their personal belief and introduce them so that they become members of that congregation where they will feel more at home.

They may come to a different understanding in the future...or they may not.

And are there any ways to 'repair' or at least 'settle' sins so that I can feel better in reading the Word, without been afraid to turn the pages and feel worst and worst as i'll understand more?
Oliver;
The only sin that is "unpardonable" is the ongoing and continual sin of blaspheming the Holy Ghost."
That is... a continual, ongoing, and intentional refusal to accept the process of sanctification.
And THAT!.....WILL!! get someone sent to hell.

You (obviously, by your own confession) are NOT committing that sin.
Stay open to learn and to hear the Word of God.

He will continue to guide you through the Holy Ghost.

Your past and future sins, just like mine, are forgiven, Jesus did that on the cross 2,000 years ago. That was what He meant by "It is finished". John 19:30

The sins you repent of, are all forgiven by His promise. His Grace is freely available to you, in infinite measure.

That is the "GOOD NEWS" that...is the "GOSPEL!! :groupray:

I am not going to answer to every single rebuttal brought against my point of view of baptism on this thread (if anymore replies are made regarding my posts about baptism on this thread I will not respond to them on this thread). If someone wants to discuss baptism with me further, please PM me and I will be glad to do so. I am not running from the rebuttals and questions posted here, I just do not think this is the best place for us discuss this as I feel it will become a debate, and PMing one another will keep the debate out of the open forum for everyone to see.

I am going to leave off with mentioning that to ME, Baptism does play a role in being saved (although it is by no means the only role that is played in being saved) as we see in 1 Peter 3:21 “an antitype which now saves us—baptism”.

1 Peter 3:21 (NKJV)
21 There is also an antitype which now saves us—baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

There is nothing at all about baptism that saves...it does not now and it did not in the time of Christ. Salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus and what He has done for us. Baptism is a display of faith and symbolic of our love and trust in our Lord Jesus and acknowledges Him as our Lord and Savior...nothing more.

To say that baptism is a part of salvation is to nulify the cross of Christ.

Welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you and have you here.

:dance: :cross: :dance:

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only sin that shall not be forgiven as per the words of Jesus in Matthew 12:31 . . .

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

:groupray: :groupray: :groupray:

Welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you and have you here.

:dance: :cross: :dance:

Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only sin that shall be forgiven as per the words of Jesus in Matthew 12:31 . . .

"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."

:groupray: :groupray: :groupray:

i know what you ment to say how ever you may want to make a quick edit so it says Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only sin that wont in stead of the only sin that shall

i know what you ment to say how ever you may want to make a quick edit so it says Blaspheming the Holy Spirit is the only sin that wont in stead of the only sin that shall

Oops, so sorry and thanks Chris. I did make that edit.

I appreciate your help.

:groupray:

I am so glad that all sins can be forgiven. I made so many bad choices in my life. I am now 66, will be 67 in December and Finally I have a peace and joy inside me and I feel very much forgiven. I have also forgiven everyone who ever hurt me. I love Jesus so very much :)

I am so glad that all sins can be forgiven. I made so many bad choices in my life. I am now 66, will be 67 in December and Finally I have a peace and joy inside me and I feel very much forgiven. I have also forgiven everyone who ever hurt me. I love Jesus so very much :)

Amen to that Chrissy! Isn't it a wonderful feeling when we finally find what we've been searching for our whole lives? The love we receive from our Lord and Savior is awesome.

I too thank him for his mercy and forgiveness.

I too love Jesus so very much.

Blessings, Cheri

Yes Cheri, it is wonderful. I feel excited and overjoyed nearly all the time now. I wake up in the morning with a smile on my face. My cat is wondering what happened. :)....I used to grouch at her "wait, wait a bit longer, mommie is tired and doesn't want to get up" :):) LOL :):)

oakwood stefan

As long as one comes to Christ Jesus the Savior for forgiveness and mercy

"She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins." Matthew 1:21

"Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins." Acts 10:43

"And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." Acts 4:12

"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victory." Matthew 12:20 , Isaiah 42:3

"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out." John 6:37

"Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25

"For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe." I Corinthians 1:21

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." John 14:6

"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus," I Timothy 2:5

"And we know that the Son of God has come, and has given us understanding so that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life." I John 5:20

Back