Can Christians live worldly lives?

Can a Christian spend his time and life on things of the world? For example: Sports, TV, Media, Entertainment, Recreation, Arts, Science, Literature, etc.

Or should a Christian rather spend his life and time on the things of Christ? For example: Ministry, Missions, Preaching, Philanthropy, etc.

Must a Christian fully devote his life to Christ, or can he still indulge in the world and have no shame?

I am curious, because part of me, that is, my mind, knows I should give up everything worldly, like video games and cookies. But another part of me, that is, my body, wants to keep these things and enjoy them.

How should a Christian live?

I intend this thread to be very long, so please, share your thoughts, and God bless.
I believe a Christian should allow Jesus/Holy Spirit tell him or her what to do, and how to live their lives.

That said, does not help those who are not aware that the Holy Spirit/Jesus can tell them how to live.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates

I didn't read all the posts, but to me our Lord isn't one for prevent us from being social and having fun. Like with friends, do friends usually prevent you from going bowling or to a sleepover? No! Do/did your parents? Maybe sometimes! God gave us these activities to enjoy and he is humble, not expecting us to worship all day and night while thinking, worship, worship, worship. Everyday I always have a Christian song stuck in my head, and I do listen to non-christian music, and I always have God in my head, and he is always with me. Why should I fear not worshiping enough. Our Lord is a humble Lord. Our God is a fiery God. Our Savior is forever the Savior.

Then why do Jesus and all the NT writers preach to us not to walk in the flesh/world/etc. ? Can we have the blood of Jesus cover us and still walk in these ways?
1 Cor. 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

The apostle Paul says it well.

I believe it is alright to enjoy some things of the world as long as we don't allow those things to control us. Also always being aware of whether or not our enjoyment of them might cause a weaker brother/sister to stumble, i.e. some pre-alcoholics might see us having a glass of wine, decide for themselves it is acceptable to the Lord, and start the same practice; but the end result is they become alcoholic. There are other examples of this as well...but I hope you get the idea that often the freedom we get in Christ, can be misconstrued by others.

I didn't read all the posts, but to me our Lord isn't one for prevent us from being social and having fun. Like with friends, do friends usually prevent you from going bowling or to a sleepover? No! Do/did your parents? Maybe sometimes! God gave us these activities to enjoy and he is humble, not expecting us to worship all day and night while thinking, worship, worship, worship. Everyday I always have a Christian song stuck in my head, and I do listen to non-christian music, and I always have God in my head, and he is always with me. Why should I fear not worshiping enough. Our Lord is a humble Lord. Our God is a fiery God. Our Savior is forever the Savior.

It would be good to experience 24 hour worship! When I walk in the flesh, I generally do things that end up depressing me. That said, who's to say we can't walk in the Spirit, worshiping continually; even as we enjoy the blessings we find in this world? Going to a sleep-over, hiking with friends, playing some video games, enjoying a football game...all these can be done while keeping Him and our walk with Him in mind...like YOU do by keeping a Christian song in your mind. Of course, there are SOME obvious enjoyments the world provides that are specifically off-limits to us...I'm sure we all have a good understanding of what those are.

I'm trying to point out that worship is not limited to prayer, singing of hymns and church attendance. Our very lives; including day to day activities, are to be done in a worshipful manner, striving to keep Him in sight at all times. As Christians, we ARE the church everywhere we go, and not merely when we attend a service in a building. By focusing on Him, we are more apt to choose our activities wisely; being confident that when we stray too much in our enjoyment, the Holy Spirit will be convicting our conscience. If we find ourselves rebelling against that conviction, we are probably doing something that is particularly dangerous to our own unique weaknesses.

Not everyone is tempted by drunkenness or idolatry or sexual sin. Some are tempted by gluttony, destructive anger, thievery. Wherever we find ourselves being tempted beyond our strength, is where we should guard ourselves; by not putting ourselves in that situation which we have found to be hard for us personally to overcome.

Last edited:
I'm trying to point out that worship is not limited to prayer, singing of hymns and church attendance. Our very lives; including day to day activities, are to be done in a worshipful manner, striving to keep Him in sight at all times. As Christians, we ARE the church everywhere we go, and not merely when we attend a service in a building. By focusing on Him, we are more apt to choose our activities wisely; being confident that when we stray too much in our enjoyment, the Holy Spirit will be convicting our conscience. If we find ourselves rebelling against that conviction, we are probably doing something that is particularly dangerous to our own unique weaknesses.

I agree.

Some days, life feels perfect.
Other days it just ain't workin.
The good, the bad, the right, the wrong
And everything in between.

Though it's crazy, amazing
We can turn a heart with the words we say.
Mountains crumble with every syllable.
Hope can live or die

So speak Life, speak Life.
To the deadest darkest night.
Speak life, speak Life.
When the sun won't shine and you don't know why.
Look into the eyes of the brokenhearted;
Watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope,
You speak love, you speak...
You speak Life, (oh oh oh oh oh oh) You speak Life. (oh oh oh oh oh oh)

Some days the tongue gets twisted;
Other days my thoughts just fall apart.
I do, I don't, I will, I won't,
It's like I'm drowning in the deep.

Well it's crazy to imagine,
Words from our lips as the arms of compassion,
Mountains crumble with every syllable.
Hope can live or die.

Speak life, speak Life.

Lift your head a little higher,
Spread the love like fire,
Hope will fall like rain,
When you speak life with the words you say.

Raise your thoughts a little higher,
Use your words to inspire,
Joy will fall like rain,
When you speak life with the things you say.

Lift your head a little higher,
Spread the love like fire,
Hope will fall like rain,
When you speak life with the words you say.

Speak life, speak Life.

Some days life feels perfect.

-TobyMac "Speak Life"

Can a Christian spend his time and life on things of the world? For example: Sports, TV, Media, Entertainment, Recreation, Arts, Science, Literature, etc.

Or should a Christian rather spend his life and time on the things of Christ? For example: Ministry, Missions, Preaching, Philanthropy, etc.

Must a Christian fully devote his life to Christ, or can he still indulge in the world and have no shame?

I am curious, because part of me, that is, my mind, knows I should give up everything worldly, like video games and cookies. But another part of me, that is, my body, wants to keep these things and enjoy them.

How should a Christian live?

I intend this thread to be very long, so please, share your thoughts, and God bless.

The rule is to live in the world not of it. So yes, sports, TV, Media, etc. are fine, but understand even in a secular world, you can and will be called to serve God. So be on the look out for that opportunity. A few cults have tried to cut themselves off from the world, renounce modern technology, etc. Generally, I think they miss the point. Christians have never been commanded to prepare for evacuation via the second coming. We were commanded to make disciples of the nations. Ergo, do to others what you'd have them do to you.

Your mental train of thought appears to me to be due to a lack of meaningful work. What I would recommend is you find something to do that is spiritually satisfying like volunteer work. An easy one is to do the drive thru challenge, that is at your next drive thru buy the person behind you's coffee or lunch. Even a small thing like that can inspire the light of God in them.

Back