Can This Be Christmas ?

Dusty

Inactive
Can This Be Christmas ?

"Can This Be Christmas?"

by M.R. Dehaan
What's all this hectic rush and worry?Where go these crowds who run and curry?Why all the lights -- the Christmas trees?The jolly "fat man," tell me please!

Why, don't you know? This is the dayFor parties and for fun and play;Why this is Christmas!So this is Christmas, do you say?

But where is Christ this Christmas day?Has He been lost among the throng?His voice drowned out by empty song?No. He's not here -- you'll find Him where

Some humble soul now kneels in prayer,Who knows the Christ of Christmas.But see the many aimless thousandsWho gather on this Christmas Day,

Whose hearts have never yet been opened,Or said to Him, "Come in to stay."In countless homes the candles burning,In countless hearts expectant yearning

For gifts and presents, food and fun,And laughter till the day is done.But not a tear of grief or sorrowFor Him so poor He had to borrow

A crib, a colt, a boat, a bedWhere He could lay His weary head.I'm tired of all this empty celebration,Of feasting, drinking, recreation;

I'll go instead to Calvary.And there I'll kneel with those who knowThe meaning of that manger low,And find the Christ -- this Christmas.

I leap by faith across the yearsTo that great day when He appearsThe second time, to rule and reign,To end all sorrow, death, and pain.

In endless bliss we then shall dwellWith Him who saved our souls from hell,

And worship Christ -- not Christmas!

Back