Cast Iron

My cast iron frying pan is right at home on my electric stove.:)

Is it possible to use a flat top stove? I thought that one would have to use a gas stove to have the ability to use cast iron???

Is it possible to use a flat top stove? I thought that one would have to use a gas stove to have the ability to use cast iron???

The problem with "Flat top stoves" is that they're made out of tempered glass or ceramic & are prone to being scratched...you scratch tempered glass or ceramic & it's prone to shattering.

Electric ranges with coils, or the solid plate type are good with cast iron, but not quite as good as an open flame.

Flat Top Stove...not recomended for Cast Iron

Coil burner...good with cast iron
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...large&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=N&um=1

Electric ceramic element...okay with cast iron

gas burner with open flame...best with cast iron

I guess I have just been lucky with my flat tops as I have been using cast iron for 30 years with no troubles. There is always the potential though.

I guess I have just been lucky with my flat tops as I have been using cast iron for 30 years with no troubles. There is always the potential though.

Ha! You and my mom! She even read it in her little booklet that came with the new range...yet for 10+ years she's used her cast iron cookware on it with no problems...you two must be the exception to the rule!

Back