Cat 'doing well' after world-first swine flu case

* From correspondents in Washington
* November 05, 2009 9:55AM

VETS in the US state of Iowa said a household cat had tested positive for swine flu - the first known case in the world of the new pandemic strain spreading to the feline population.

The domestic shorthair, a 13-year-old castrated male, apparently caught A(H1N1) off its owners - two of the three members of the family had previously contracted the deadly virus.

"This is the first cat that we are aware of with the pandemic H1N1,'' assistant professor of veterinarian microbiology Brett Sponseller said.

After ruling out most common causes of respiratory diseases, a team of university and state vets looked at the family history of the owners and guessed swine flu might be the cause.

After five days of tests, their fears were confirmed.

"This was a big deal and everyone involved understood that,'' Mr Sponseller said, adding that the owners had since recovered and that the cat had been given extra fluids and antibiotics and was "doing very well''.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Cats have previously been diagnosed with H5N1, a virus commonly known as bird flu that spread from poultry to humans, but this is thought to be a first for swine flu and has possible implications for the feared pandemic.

Mr Sponseller said the danger of an infected cat spreading the A(H1N1) virus to humans or to other cats was unknown but didn't appear to be high.

The prevalence of the disease in the cat population was also unknown, but the vet said he believed more cats will now be tested and confirmed to have the virus.

The cat owner, an employee at the Iowa vet school, insisted on anonymity and is not revealing the pet's name, Mr Sponseller said.
I thought I was coming down with the 'swine flu' last night,but thank the Lord, it's just a 'stomach virus.'

Thanks to our government, we don't have 'swine flu' shots for most people in Texas.

I already got my seasonal flu shot,and Fox says, there's a shortage on them now.

Great comfort knowing our government will take over our health care....

Anyway, I don't have any cats because they do have a tendency to carry more diseases than dogs..

I know we are not in the Great Tribulation yet,but this scripture comes to my mind:

So I looked, and behold, a pale horse.

And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him.

And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth. Rev. 6:8

Now we're seeing more and more sickness through animals.

Especially 'aids.'

I just have to believe we are getting sooo close to the Lord's return for His Bride...

Thank you, Lord Jesus...

I get e-mail updates from a feline veterinary site and a week or so ago I got one mentioning that cats can in fact get H1N1 and there were 4 cats having tested positive for it at that time. We know not everything cats and dogs get can be passed to or from humans and I suppose that's a good thing- it's interesting though what felines and humans can get versions of.. feline aids, feline leukemia, both dogs and cats can have diabetes as humans can.. and humans can have rabies with or without an animal's 'help'.... interesting mystery.

I didn't know cats were getting it. Would that spread it faster, since most have pets? And many cats run around at night.

Back