Change in tactics

Social news and the media are being flooded with news of the recent American Supreme court decision and similiar decisions in other countries around the planet.

Fighting this thing and similiar issues in the theater of public opinion and political arenas has failed, will continue to fail, and was doomed to do so from the get go.

Instead of sharing articles, memes, and posts about the issue...

Post the gospel in your own words.
Just imagine how many people would have seen the gospel by now if everyone that posted their dislike/disgust over the decision on social media.
Imagine the terror of our enemy in seeing the message of God's grace posted repeatedly by many different people.
Imagine even just one soul turning to Jesus.

I think a change in tactics is worth it.

Social news and the media are being flooded with news of the recent American Supreme court decision and similiar decisions in other countries around the planet.

Fighting this thing and similiar issues in the theater of public opinion and political arenas has failed, will continue to fail, and was doomed to do so from the get go.

Just imagine how many people would have seen the gospel by now if everyone that posted their dislike/disgust over the decision on social media.
Imagine the terror of our enemy in seeing the message of God's grace posted repeatedly by many different people.

Well said!! Focus on Jesus, not sin!

Reactions: Juk
Well said!! Focus on Jesus, not sin!

You've hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: Juk

What I'm starting to take notice of, is many people who stand up for something have little knowledge of their own worldview; that is to say, they have little knowledge of 'why' they believe what they believe. How do I know this? God's Word gives us many powerful tools to incorporate in our discussions with nonbelievers and believers (led astray) alike. I have found one of the most useful tools is Proverbs 26:4-5; the no-answer - answer strategy. I have used this with many nonbelievers, asking them to rationally account for what they believe. For example, I have heard "I think the Bible and all religion is garbage and not true; God does not exist. I can be a moral person without religion telling me 'how' to be." Now, we obviously wouldn't accept their stance (Proverbs 26:4); yet we can use their own statement to have them account for what they believe (Proverbs 26:5). I have answered with something like "How do you account for your morality? How do you know that you are right and I am wrong?" We know as followers of Christ that nonbelievers can portray aspects of morality, the difference is we can rationally account for it, nonbelievers cannot. Obviously this is just one of many examples of how we use the truth (God's Word) to lead people to His love, Grace and mercy. Depending on the other person's worldview and what they have heard of God, your strategy may change. What always remains constant in our responses, is offering them with love, humility and gentleness. We must always lean on God's understanding, not our own (Proverbs 3:5).

Your post brings up another good topic of discussion, the mob mentality. Social media is a haven for like minds; pro or anti. Many feel it necessary to have an audience to voice their opinions and they are either valued and reinforced with 'likes' or negated with a lack of 'likes' or no responses at all; the danger of one being wise in their own eyes. As followers of Christ, we have to be careful of allowing ourselves to jump into quarrels that are not our own (Proverbs 20:3). If we are to engage, I find it much more effective in separating an individual from the mob to start a dialogue. What you will find in these cases, is those people will rarely entertain a one-on-one conversation, and that is a shame.

What I'm starting to take notice of, is many people who stand up for something have little knowledge of their own worldview; that is to say, they have little knowledge of 'why' they believe what they believe. ...
This is something that I used to marvel at, but I've long since gotten used to it.
Most people who proclaim a belief are actually just proclaiming a like or jumping on because it seems to fight something they don't like. Sometimes they are just proclaiming a belief that someone they trust or care about believes.

In my life I have found very few (comparitively speaking) who truly believe in or love what they proclaim.

I base that on the idea that, while we all have different capacities for reasoning and learning, a person spends time with the things they love and actively seeks to learn more about them.

I love conversations (not arguments though they can occasionally be fun) with others who have made an effort to learn. Conversations with fellow believers are best, but I will happily engage with anyone of faith so long as it is a two way deal.

...If we are to engage, I find it much more effective in separating an individual ...
The fundamental principles that God has lain in creation always fascinate me. The same principle is used by smart hunters and soldiers when dealing with overwhelming numbers.
I also find personal conversations to be more effective.

I love conversations (not arguments though they can occasionally be fun) with others who have made an effort to learn.

I find this to be evident with one of my good friends who is a professed atheist. I converse with him often about God, and have challenged him even more, recently, on how he can account for the things he believes. He told me that he honestly has not thought all that much about it. I challenged him on 3 issues and told him to take all the time he needed before discussing them with me; after all, it's only fair that one understand their own worldview in order to defend or account for it. Him and I are able to converse about God without getting heated as we sincerely respect one another for our beliefs and are able to conclude any debate or conversation regarding God with a handshake and a hug. I pick his brain a lot because there are few professed atheists that can remain stable during these types of discussions (I can only speak from the ones I've run into. There may be many more able to sustain a respectful dialogue :)).

Conversations with fellow believers are best

I would have to say yes and no. Yes, the renewal we receive while speaking about God and His Word are quite necessary, not only to continue to grow with Him and each other, but to heal the bumps and bruises we receive when God's Word is not received so lovingly (if at all); yet, we are not the ones who need the Physician as we are not the ones who are ill (Matthew 9:12), making other conversations with others necessary :D.

Back