Christian Doctrine

Do any of you think there is a Christian out there with a perfect doctrine and understanding of the bible? I know as Christians we all believe in the saving power of Jesus Christ, but is there a man or woman out there who has every doctrine in perfect alignment with scripture? The reason I ask is there are so many ways to read the bible and it can be hard knowing who or what to believe. Of course we believe in Jesus and God's word, but what I am saying is as people we can take it in so many different ways. I struggle with this.

Do any of you think there is a Christian out there with a perfect doctrine and understanding of the bible? I know as Christians we all believe in the saving power of Jesus Christ, but is there a man or woman out there who has every doctrine in perfect alignment with scripture? The reason I ask is there are so many ways to read the bible and it can be hard knowing who or what to believe. Of course we believe in Jesus and God's word, but what I am saying is as people we can take it in so many different ways. I struggle with this.
Hey.. I am here! Who has got everything figured and got it all right :D

On a lighter note, I don't think anyone can come up with such a claim.. Even if there is one person or denomination which has got everything right, others are not going to accept it! So the answer will be there on the other side.. Not on this earth I guess..

Oh you bet! The Holy Spirit! He taught everything Jesus knew :)

Hebrews 5:8 (KJV)
Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;

1 John 2:27 (KJV)
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Every believer has perfect doctrine written in their hearts. "For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them" (Romans 2:14-15).

"…15And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us; for after saying, 16"THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM," He then says, 17"AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE."…" (Hebrews 10:15-17).

Cosmicwaffle, when walking in God's Spirit you have all you need because God reveals true doctrine there. You can't be in your mind and in the Holy Spirit at the same time. Only in God's mind do you have the understanding that accompanies the fruit of the Spirit. You will be confused or questioning when you are out of the Spirit, but when in His Spirit, you know it is truth without a doubt and not of your mind. You know it is Him. Remember you have understood from that place before. True understanding only comes when we are in the mind of Christ.

"we have the mind of Christ" (1 Corinthians 2:16).

Our personal minds are attached to our old sin nature which is now crucified.

"For God is not the author of confusion" (1 Corinthians 14:33).

If you are confused you are not in the Spirit of God and even if it is truth you won't understand it as truth.

Father, I pray for Cosmicwaffle to receive wisdom and insight into your word. May he always be blessed with an outpouring of your Holy Spirit and always stay steadfast in your truth. In the name of Jesus I pray.

Do any of you think there is a Christian out there with a perfect doctrine and understanding of the bible? I know as Christians we all believe in the saving power of Jesus Christ, but is there a man or woman out there who has every doctrine in perfect alignment with scripture?

Paul had it all right. There is no reason we can't. The Holy Spirit is not here to deceive us and keep us confused. The only drawback should be 'looking through a glass, darkly' 1 Cor 13:12.

If anyone is uncertain, it is best to find a church with qualified elders. 1 Tim 3:1-7 because of Prov 11:14 Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.

The reason I ask is there are so many ways to read the bible and it can be hard knowing who or what to believe. Of course we believe in Jesus and God's word, but what I am saying is as people we can take it in so many different ways. I struggle with this

There are three very simple ways to grasp the bible / answer all questions and avoid 99% of the common mistakes.

1. Read all verses in light of who God is. God is good Psalm 136:1. God is impartial Acts 10:34. God is merciful, longsuffering, relents from sending calamity Jonah 4:2...etc etc So when you see '''Egyptian babies killed'' Ask, how does a loving, good, just, longsuffering God justify doing that?

2. Read it backwards, both scripturally and chronology of events. Example a. When in heaven will not see through a glass darkly / God will make us smarter = He has nothing to hide! = He is 100% open to further judgement = if you have any current belief that insinuates He is evil, it is false / ludicrous. b. Reading about the new life 2 Cor 5:17 makes us understand God's vision and how He fulfilled it throughout the OT. Bringing everything into simple context.

3. Use all scripture. 2 Tim 3:16 Example: When the devil used scripture to tempt Jesus ''it is written angels will catch you'', Jesus replied with ''it is also written, do not tempt God''.

I guess these three could be summarised into using good / honest hermeneutics and having a 'revealed' exegesis approach to reading scripture. 'Revealed' due to 2 Pet 1:21 and John 1:1. The natural mind cannot grasp spiritual truths.

Paul had it all right. There is no reason we can't.

I think this is the saying argument denominations use to claim that they have got everything right :) Just saying! And thinking about it, Paul is an apostle.. Do we have apostles today? Not people claiming to be apostles..

Like you have said, I think most of the people have got 99% of the verses correct.. It is the reminder of 1% of the verses which causes so many divisions!

Today, there is no one person (yes, except the Lord Jesus) that has it ALL right...but the Church has it all right.! But there is a little, bitty problem. We come from different groups, with different interpretations; and we are so sectionalized (not diversified) and compartmentalized that we cannot "...speak the same thing...". We will never agree with one another's doctrines, as long as we cannot agree on the Gospel, "By which also you are saved...". It is the Gospel that saves; and doctrine that keeps us saved.

Ever hear the story of the man who made "pebble soup"? He came to a town that was very poor. No one had enough to eat, and
he couldn't even get a morsel of bread from anyone. So he asked to borrow a big kettle and a spoon, and said he was going to make "pebble soup", and that everyone would be invited. So someone lent him the kettle and spoon, he filled the kettle with water, and dropped in a few pebbles. After a while, he "tasted" the brew and decied that it needed salt...then it needed a few carrots...then it neededsome cabbage...etc. You get the picture. Short of the story, there was enough "pebble soup" for everyone. The pebbles correspond to the Gospel; the kettle and spoon and the ingredients, to the Doctrines of the Lord.

When we all (believers) come together, we all bring a little truth: and we all need that little bit from everyone to be complete in Him, even as He has "...divided unto everyone severally as He will." When we, as individuals, go to the Lord in prayer and praise, we surely glorify Him. But when we come together as His Church, that can set the world ablaze!

Anyone have a kettle I can borrow?

For example I believe in the death of the soul, whereas many Christians argue that we have immortal souls, which is not found in the Bible. I believe all the passages about being with Jesus are at our Resurrection. I don't believe in heaven right when you die, yet so many Christians do.

I also lean towards dispensationalism. The belief that the new covenant didn't start till after Jesus died ( Hebrews 9:16-17 ), and when he was alive he was speaking to Jews when he spoke of the law. But there are scriptures for and against this. So it's hard to really know.

Also the pre-trib rapture, if dispensationalism is true, the pre-trib rapture makes sense when you interpret the scriptures one way. But if you interpret them a different way it argues for post-trib rapture.

I know I am supposed to pray for these things but it seems like most of the time the sides are evenly matched.

You know what... I believe in whatever the bible says. Even though I am confused on some topics, I'll just keep my doctrine simple and acknowledge my ignorance and say "I believe in whatever the bible teaches, whether people teach it or not, or whether I know it or not.". Whatever truth is in the bible that is hidden from me, I believe in it. I'll just do everyone a favor by staying out of theological discussion.

You know what... I believe in whatever the bible says. Even though I am confused on some topics, I'll just keep my doctrine simple and acknowledge my ignorance and say "I believe in whatever the bible teaches, whether people teach it or not, or whether I know it or not.". Whatever truth is in the bible that is hidden from me, I believe in it. I'll just do everyone a favor by staying out of theological discussion.
I love your honesty and your humility

Back