Christian Rock & Roll, Hip Hop (or Rap)

What are your views and opinions on Christian R&R and Hip Hop (or, Rap)?

I know many approve of it, and I find nothing wrong with liking it...but the question comes to mind is it REALLY Christian?

Anyone can call themselves a Christian, or do something and call it "Christian whatever", but is it really about God and such?

I kind of have mixed views on this subject.

I think it's a good way to get teenagers, etc, listening to something...but then I kind of differ from it once I get to that point.

I just feel like its a bit too "worldly"?

It's like having Disco-lights and techno/dance music going on in Church during service...and I've seen where they have strobe lights and such. And I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Well, enough with my views, how about yours? :)

Please move if needed.

Hey, Near! Good to see ya!:D

Here's my answer: Who are we to decide what is Christian and what is not? That's not our choice. It's up to Christ, I like to think.

I was listening to some TobyMac on the internet the other month and the genre was specified as: "Christian Gangsta".

:eek:

Aren't gangsters hoodlums? Uneducated? Unemployed? Thieves? Bullies? Sage defines gangster as a criminal who is a member of a gang. Gangsta, hee hee hee. "Christian Gangsta".

Anyway - I love to praise my Lord through TobyMac's music and I see nothing wrong with it. Just because some artists might use the same genre to communicate their sinful ways, it doesn't mean that Toby is going to use it for the same thing.;)

Good to see you again, Near!

I love Christian hip hop. I dont know why but the beats are awesome. My best friend by Diddy is really good, its a rap/hip hop song but he really praises Jesus and it inspires me.

"Sometimes I reminisce and wonder how I made it this far
Because of you, I'm me, so you the real star
Your hindsight, the time's right to get my mind tight
Then give it to you and let it shine bright
My best friend, only know how to teach the truth
Plant the seeds of life and let them eat the fruit
Can't you see that He spread love for you
Shed blood for you, cry for and die for you"

"Just remember when you pray, God is love
Gracious, merciful, forgive even the hardest thugs
Life as we know it, it all begins with Him
Life as we know it, it all ends with Him"

i love it! and I love Hillsong music right now, and all of Darlene Zschech's stuff. Awesome =)

Shug Avery (in the Color Purple)[Hugging her dad, the preacher]: "See Daddy? Sinner's have soul, too!"

:D

That part always made me cry.:eek:

I would like to chime in on this subject, being that although I have zero talent in making music, I do have what I believe is a God-given obsession with listening music.

Although I realize that music is almost an essential part of the secular world, I believe that to the believer in Christ it should not only be worship-oriented, it should make up a sizable portion of our daily life.

In my daily routine, if I am at home, I have either my computer playing music, or I am listening to KLOVE on the radio (depending on the weather, as I am clearly in the boondocks, and reception has much to be desired. If I am reading, I'll have something playing just loud enough to cancel out any white noise in the background. Yes, I am glad that our Father has blessed us with music!

When it comes to different genres of music, I have one rule. And that's whether it glorifies God or not. I love rap artists like FLAME, Lecrae, Trip Lee, and so on. They truly glorify Christ in their songs. When it comes to rock, I love listening to DC Talk, Kutless, Sonicflood, Audio Adrenaline, and so on. It all comes down to the element of worship.

Does it matter about the hearts of the performers? Indeed. Because I believe their hearts are in the right place in order to make and sing songs that glorify God, otherwise it just wouldn't last.

Well, that's all I have to say about that. :D

I think any music is fine as long as it doesn't glorify violence and hate.
Hip hop and rock are not my style of music but I think it is good that there are Christian bands that play such music since so many young people like rock and hip hop. :)

Christain Rock and Roll

In 1973, I formed a Christian Band that played Acoustic Rock Christian music. We covered groups like Bethelem, Randy Stonehill, The Way, Chuck Girard and Love Song as well as wrote our own songs taken right from the word.

At the time, most churches were still listening to music rooted in old hymns, and with just an organ and piano to sing along with. The thought of drums in a church with electric guitars and a P.A. system was horrifying to many old timers. We received the gammut of responses from great! to demons!...

I would have to say that playing music to churches was the hardest gigs we ever had. Many an evil eye was cast. But to those that could receive it, it was great for them because it was the music we grew up with (style wise).

Now if we take this argument one step deeper and ask the question "Who decided that hymns written in the 1800's were ok, then we're talking about the same thing. It was all a style. Some churches don't use any musical instruments at all, are they the correct ones? Or what about J.S. Bach was he the only person that truly had the inside edge on what is appropriate for church music? Many would argue "I don't think so"...

Bottom line for me is that music is like faith, there are many that are at different levels. What works for you may not work for someone else. But like Peter's vision of the animals decending from heaven, with the implication that the legalism of the dietary laws of Judism were relaxed as a shadow of our faith. If you can listen to it as an edification to you, your family and others, then it's fine. Too bad demons aren't visible, I think we'd be very surprised where we would see them as well as a special illumination for true Chirstians. I think we'd be suprised at where we would find them. God works in mysterious ways.

If it glorifies God then I see no problem.I cannot judge someones intent or heart by their volume or style. Even if the style is not for me but the lyrics are edifying then praise God and let it rip.

This is how I feel.
It is not the heart of the artist I can be certain of but if I find a blessing in a song or music then it has served a good purpose me and for God.

I think any music is fine as long as it doesn't glorify violence and hate.
Hip hop and rock are not my style of music but I think it is good that there are Christian bands that play such music since so many young people like rock and hip hop. :)

YES! Exactly!

My little sister, nephews, and even my older sister are always listening to this type of music. The lyrics say things like, I'm sorry mom for having to kill this man, I'm sorry I'm in jail, I hid my gun so I'll have it when I get out, yadda-yadda.

I was like: Oh yeah? If you were so sorry...you wouldn't be in jail in the first place.:eek:

Hey, Near! Good to see ya!:D

Here's my answer: Who are we to decide what is Christian and what is not? That's not our choice. It's up to Christ, I like to think.

I was listening to some TobyMac on the internet the other month and the genre was specified as: "Christian Gangsta".

:eek:

Aren't gangsters hoodlums? Uneducated? Unemployed? Thieves? Bullies? Sage defines gangster as a criminal who is a member of a gang. Gangsta, hee hee hee. "Christian Gangsta".

Anyway - I love to praise my Lord through TobyMac's music and I see nothing wrong with it. Just because some artists might use the same genre to communicate their sinful ways, it doesn't mean that Toby is going to use it for the same thing.;)

Good to see you again, Near!

Lol, that's actually kind of cute, "Christian Gangsta".

It's good to see you, too, Whirly. :cool:

I'm not actually too well-versed in a lot of popular bands and stuff (I have a limitied view of Christian bands as well), but when I listen to music, I listen for the words. As a musician, too, I appreciate talent, but if the talent is being wasted on lyrics made of trash, I won't listen to it.
Does anyone have any suggestions on songs and bands I could listen to?

I'm not actually too well-versed in a lot of popular bands and stuff (I have a limitied view of Christian bands as well), but when I listen to music, I listen for the words. As a musician, too, I appreciate talent, but if the talent is being wasted on lyrics made of trash, I won't listen to it.
Does anyone have any suggestions on songs and bands I could listen to?

What type of music do you like?

Pop?
Indie?
Reggae?
Rap?
Hip-Hop?
Metal?
Rock?
Punk?
Classical?
Dance?
Techno?
Country?
Bluegrass?

What type of music do you like?

Pop?
Indie?
Reggae?
Rap?
Hip-Hop?
Metal?
Rock?
Punk?
Classical?
Dance?
Techno?
Country?
Bluegrass?
I'm a huge fan of classical/opera and I love heavy-metal or rock. :) Screaming songs are ok as long as they aren't perpetually screaming. ;)

I'm a huge fan of classical/opera and I love heavy-metal or rock. :) Screaming songs are ok as long as they aren't perpetually screaming. ;)

Lol, I try to listen to Opera, but it's a bit hard for me. I love beautiful classical music songs, they go well with Dressage! ^^ Screamo is actually funny...though I don't like it when 99.9% of the song is made up of screaming, lol.

If the hips are moving more than the Holy Spirit, then I wonder:D

I love all types of music even secular, if it brings to my mind the Lord...

Then I would recommend...

Tourniquet, Whitecross, Bride, David Zaffiro, Stryper, Whiteheart, Petra, Guardian, Deliverance, Barren Cross, Liaison, One Bad Pig, Novella, Neon Cross, Mastedon, DeGarmo & Key, Lust Control, Mortification, Living Sacrifice...to name a few

Here's an online station that plays this stuff that you can listen to free...

Online Christian Rock Radio Station - Live365 Internet Radio - Christian Armor Radio

Then I would recommend...

Tourniquet, Whitecross, Bride, David Zaffiro, Stryper, Whiteheart, Petra, Guardian, Deliverance, Barren Cross, Liaison, One Bad Pig, Novella, Neon Cross, Mastedon, DeGarmo & Key, Lust Control, Mortification, Living Sacrifice...to name a few

Here's an online station that plays this stuff that you can listen to free...

Online Christian Rock Radio Station - Live365 Internet Radio - Christian Armor Radio
Thank you! I'll give that a listen. :)

If the hips are moving more than the Holy Spirit, then I wonder:D

I love all types of music even secular, if it brings to my mind the Lord...
Amen! :) That's one of the reason why I listen to the lyrics and not the music (well, I listen to the music, but it's not the main point). ;)

David danced in not much more than a loin cloth. When called down for it he cry I will be even more vile in your sight for the Lord's sake- and he kept on with his joyous dance.

2Sa 6:21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.
2Sa 6:22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.

Back