CHRISTIAN

godbe4me

Unavailable
Staff Member on LOA
What is a Christian? In the Letter to Diognetus, which dates back to the second century B.C., an anonymous writer describes a strange people who are in the world but not of the world:

Christians are not differentiated from other people by country, language, or customs; you see, they do not live in cities of their own, or speak some strange dialect....They live in both Greek and foreign cities, wherever chance has put them. They follow local customs in clothing, food, and other aspects of life. But at the same time, they demonstrate to us the unusual form of their own citizenship.

They live in their own native lands, but as aliens...Every foreign country is to them as their native country, and every native land as a foreign country.

They marry and have children just like everyone else, but they do not kill unwanted babies. They offer a shared table, but not a shared bed. They are passing their days on earth, but are citizens of heaven. They obey the appointed laws and go beyond the laws in their own lives.

They love everyone, but are persecuted by all. They are put to death and gain life. They are poor and yet make many rich. They are dishonored and yet gain glory through dishonor. Their names are blackened, and yet they are cleared. They are mocked and bless in return. They are treated outrageously and behave respectfully to others.

When they do good, they are punished as evildoers; when punished, they rejoice as if being given new life. They are attacked as aliens and are persecuted; yet those who hate them cannot give any reason for their hostility.

Persecution, Separation

What is a Christian? In the Letter to Diognetus, which dates back to the second century B.C., an anonymous writer describes a strange people who are in the world but not of the world:

Christians are not differentiated from other people by country, language, or customs; you see, they do not live in cities of their own, or speak some strange dialect....They live in both Greek and foreign cities, wherever chance has put them. They follow local customs in clothing, food, and other aspects of life. But at the same time, they demonstrate to us the unusual form of their own citizenship.

They live in their own native lands, but as aliens...Every foreign country is to them as their native country, and every native land as a foreign country.

They marry and have children just like everyone else, but they do not kill unwanted babies. They offer a shared table, but not a shared bed. They are passing their days on earth, but are citizens of heaven. They obey the appointed laws and go beyond the laws in their own lives.

They love everyone, but are persecuted by all. They are put to death and gain life. They are poor and yet make many rich. They are dishonored and yet gain glory through dishonor. Their names are blackened, and yet they are cleared. They are mocked and bless in return. They are treated outrageously and behave respectfully to others.

When they do good, they are punished as evildoers; when punished, they rejoice as if being given new life. They are attacked as aliens and are persecuted; yet those who hate them cannot give any reason for their hostility.

Persecution, Separation
It really puts us to shame and challenges, how do we stand out from the crowd? What in our lives shows others our faith, how do we shine? I think this a really powerful lesson and am personally challenged to consider how others see how my faith makes me different. Do my neighbours know me by my faith and therefore actions? Or am I just like everyone else?

Thank you for this, I find it thought provoking. Neddy

Integrity - We All know the word - but - stacked against God's Word - How Do You Measure Up? - Integrity - Don't Leave Home Without it !!

Do we stand out amongst this world or blend right on in?

that ye may become blameless and harmless, children of God, unblemished in the midst of a generation crooked and perverse, among whom ye do appear as luminaries in the world,

Thank You godbe4me
Blessings
FCJ

It really puts us to shame and challenges, how do we stand out from the crowd? What in our lives shows others our faith, how do we shine? I think this a really powerful lesson and am personally challenged to consider how others see how my faith makes me different. Do my neighbours know me by my faith and therefore actions? Or am I just like everyone else?

Thank you for this, I find it thought provoking. Neddy

Integrity - We All know the word - but - stacked against God's Word - How Do You Measure Up? - Integrity - Don't Leave Home Without it !!

Do we stand out amongst this world or blend right on in?

that ye may become blameless and harmless, children of God, unblemished in the midst of a generation crooked and perverse, among whom ye do appear as luminaries in the world,

It should really give us something to think about. We are in this world. But do our actions shows that we are not of this world.

Persecution, Separation

So well described by this anonymous writer in that letter and so true today. That would be second century A.D. rather than B.C. as B.C. means before Christ and Christians were not before Christ.

blessings

Back