Christians And Guns?

Christians And Guns?

Luke 22:35-38 (King James Version)

35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I know that I am forever teaching that there is a sever lack of attention to what is being taught in the Body of Christ today but I cannot cease until I pass over because it is such an important topic.

In my, almost, daily encounters with people, claiming the Name of the Christ for their, very, own, I find such discourse with what the scriptures, the inspired Word of God has to say. While it is certainly not a new concept there is a disturbing concept that is growing in the US by leaps and bounds and that would be the refusal to bear arms against this nation's and other people's enemies.

It seems to me that not only do these "New Testament” Christians, not read the Bible (The Old Testament) that Jesus, not only inspired to be written but, read and used exclusively but they cannot be reading the best life application commentary ever written, the New Testament! In verse 36 of the above passage from Luke Jesus warned His followers, that will be us, to arm themselves for the oncoming events.

Now, there are two ways for a Christian to arm himself and he should be properly prepared in both. The first, and by far, the most important is to place the Word of God in the secret place of your heart. That is best accomplished by daily reading the Word of God. It's really a painless thing and does not require you to become a teacher. It takes fifteen to thirty minutes a day for a year to read the entire Bible... all of it!

The second, although it is a good idea, does not require that you run right out and purchase a semi-automatic rifle. It does however require that a man be prepared to die defending his mother, his wife and his children. Defense, like Christianity, requires commitment.

Of late I find myself fascinated. We have *** section removed *** a nation claiming to be Christian by over 80%, according to poll stats, is building a monument to the murders of over three thousand people where the Twin Towers once stood. We live in such a politically correct society that has not only reached the point of not even knowing what a Christian is but they do not even know when they are being slapped in the face!

2 Corinthians 10:4
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

Matthew 8:8-10

8The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."
10When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

Luke 3:12-14

12Tax collectors also came to be baptized. "Teacher," they asked, "what should we do?"
13"Don't collect any more than you are required to," he told
them. 14Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?"
He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely—be content with your pay."

Though our war is not carnal, it seems Jesus and the one who cleared the way for Him, John the baptist .. seemed to have not only respect for soldiers but also instructions on how to be a Godly soldier .

But regarding self defense and stuff like that . provide scripture references . it would be edifying .

Please document this statement or it will be removed!!!
Of late I find myself fascinated. We have *** section removed *** a nation claiming to be Christian by over 80%, according to poll stats, is building a monument to the murders of over three thousand people where the Twin Towers once stood. We live in such a politically correct society that has not only reached the point of not even knowing what a Christian is but they do not even know when they are being slapped in the face!

Please document this statement or it will be removed!!!

Mosque to be built at ground zero

http://www.politicolnews.com/mosque-near-ground-zero/

I've not found proof that he IS Muslim, but every action (snubbing the Israeli PM, bowing to the Saudi king, etc)he's made speaks loudly that he at very least leans very favorably in that direction.

This is my opinion so take it with a grain of salt . I personally don't think buying a gun is going to solve anything . In fact it makes people more dependent of weapons of violence . Sorry but at least in this country we do not have this problem of every one carrying a gun .

If we are Christians who believe in the Word and are prayer warriors and we pray a protection around us and our household , why do we need all the guns . ?

If you remove that statement, so be it but there are videos of him worshiping in Muslim Temples in foreign lands and the document, available on his website, is a Certificate of Live Birth issued by the state of Hawaii and is not a Birth Certificate referencing the hospital nor is it signed by an attending doctor or Midwife.

I am going to back his statement up, after doing alot of research myself I drew the same sort of conclusion.
and I am soo thankful to God that other people see it too!!

Luke 22:35-38 (King James Version)

35And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
37For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.
38And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

I know that I am forever teaching that there is a sever lack of attention to what is being taught in the Body of Christ today but I cannot cease until I pass over because it is such an important topic.

In my, almost, daily encounters with people, claiming the Name of the Christ for their, very, own, I find such discourse with what the scriptures, the inspired Word of God has to say. While it is certainly not a new concept there is a disturbing concept that is growing in the US by leaps and bounds and that would be the refusal to bear arms against this nation's and other people's enemies.

It seems to me that not only do these "New Testament” Christians, not read the Bible (The Old Testament) that Jesus, not only inspired to be written but, read and used exclusively but they cannot be reading the best life application commentary ever written, the New Testament! In verse 36 of the above passage from Luke Jesus warned His followers, that will be us, to arm themselves for the oncoming events.

Now, there are two ways for a Christian to arm himself and he should be properly prepared in both. The first, and by far, the most important is to place the Word of God in the secret place of your heart. That is best accomplished by daily reading the Word of God. It's really a painless thing and does not require you to become a teacher. It takes fifteen to thirty minutes a day for a year to read the entire Bible... all of it!

The second, although it is a good idea, does not require that you run right out and purchase a semi-automatic rifle. It does however require that a man be prepared to die defending his mother, his wife and his children. Defense, like Christianity, requires commitment.

So your saying you agree that Christians should purchase firearms as long as their intent is to protect themselves? If so I agree. I know many Christians, especially in my family who purchase firearms for that purpose as well as to hunt. I believe we have to prepare to fight bigger battles within ourselves though, and to that purpose the bible mentions protecting one's soul. I don't know what it is to take a life and even if I was a soldier in the armed forces I do not know how that would make me feel. Personally, playing God is not a game I would even begin to play. Sometimes I think I know everything and then God reminds me that I don't, but that is the extent of my ego trip. Yet war has existed ever since Caine killed Abel, just ask anyone from Israel. In war no one wins...diplomacy is always better. Yet God stood by his people even in time of war. I believe as long as you buy a gun for the right reason's it is OK, I would never condemn someone who did that. Yet...guns are VERY dangerous. But so are a lot of things. Yet the most important battle I believe is the battle for our souls...

Ephesians 6:11 Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.

If you do a word study on Sword, you find that although God hates war, and killing, and the sword in general, he does often tell his people to take up their swords against someone.

Sword is mentioned 404 times in the King James. Peppered throughout the scriptures, since it IS God inspired, is Gods attitude on this weapon. You find Angels using the sword to stop various persons from proceeding. You also find God telling His people to kill. He does tell his prophets that He's a God of peace, and does not like war or killing.

So which is it? God sees the sword, and really many other weapons, as tools. Nothing more, nothing less. As I study the scriptures, I find more & more that is always comes back to the condition of the heart. What is your purpose of having the sword, gun, arrows, dagger? Is it to make violence against your neighbor, brother, sister? Is it a tool for getting food, shelter, clothing? Is it to hone a skill?

the setting: It's the last supper, Judas has left to betray Jesus, Peter has just stated that He would never deny Jesus, Jesus has just told Peter that the cock will crow 3 times...
Luke 22:35

So what is He saying here? Simply that when they had gone out before, they had no need for provisions, nor protection. The very Son of God was physically with them. But now He was leaving them physically, and they would need to plan ahead, and make provisions. It has noting to do with a lack of faith any more than locking your house does. It's simple common sense. He didn't want His Disciples to become helpless beggars, but Formidable Defenders of the Faith.

Kitsap, you have brought up a very valid point .

I think the last time in scripture the Angel of the Lord "drops" someone is in the book of acts when Herod does not give God the glory for the speech he gave . before that was those two who lied to the Holy Ghost .

but perhaps it was a transitional Old Testament thing .. because people lie to God .. nowadays and does anyone see Him come along and go POW! .. i think God doesn't really work that way . and is moving away from fear of punishment and more to Love as in the end .. along with faith and hope . it will be all that remains .

It is possible angels did some things in God's name in the Old testament in the same way we do things in Jesus name now in the new and better covenant .

It is written when God is in Charge "they will not train for war anymore" so i think anything war related is redemptive . but is more acting through the problems we present . God does not choose war . and really will have nothing to do with it once our era in his-story is over .

When it comes down to it . the question is: do you trust God to protect you .. or chariots of Egypt .. or a semi-automatic rifle? and according to the bible .. if your decision does not come from trust in God it is already sin . and if it comes from fear of being hurt then it is not perfect because those who fear are not made perfect in love .

So i think when Jesus said to turn the other cheek when insulted, and run when your life is threatened and keep on preaching . and be faithful until death . i think this really is what God is saying . but perhaps this is a hard word . so may those who have ears to hear, hear, and eyes to see, see . and may He who is able to keep us all from falling do so with such great grace that sin cannot abound, no, not even any longer .

I cannot say 'yay' or 'nay' on the subject of owning any kind of weapon or firearm. My 21-year-old cousin has several Japanese and Muslim swords in her room - very beautiful objects if you ask me, but personally I wouldn't use them unless I had to. They're more for decorative purposes as well but can be sharpened if we like.

Back on topic, I don't really condone the use or the ownership of a gun unless absolutely necessary. I don't even like people who get attack or protection animals such as Dobermans, German Shepherds, but for different, more ethical reasons. I'm just not into violence. I've seen what violence does to people and in the end it is destructive.

I've never actually owned a gun nor handled one, so my opinion probably constitutes only 2% of this discussion. As fore mentioned, I don't really like guns and wouldn't own one unless I really had to for felt like it would benefit me and my family in a way, which right now one wouldn't. And in the long term I can't see any positive effects.

I also know the psychological risks that come with owning guns. I live in the house with one person who has mental issues, and I fear that if pushed to the limits, they might use the gun for well, you know...*cough*suicide*cough*. That being sad, that's my reasons for not having a gun.

I would say something else about them, but I don't want to push anyone's red button.

:smiley20: 'Nuff said.

A bientôt, copains.

the only reason i could see it being biblical is "love always protects" but the process of removing all the other false motives from the heart is similar to the development of the main character in a lot of samurai fiction . what was their saying .. it is not i who kills the enemy but the sword ?

...Interesting point to bring up.
The sword does kill, yes, but it is also an inanimate object and thus, needs a wielder.

The culture of the samurai is one that is particularly interesting and also somewhat secretive unless you come from the samurai caste and/or have talked to one. There are some samurai who still live in Japan though they are very old and don't talk much...at least not from what I have seen. They've been around since the mid-to-late Meiji period and possibly the Taishō era as well but I don't know much about the latter...

What is also interesting is that the samurai always had a connection to their sword; i.e. there was a 'relationship' between the two, akin to the rider-horse relationship. Discussing it would take this thread way off topic but it reminds of the story of Muramasa...

the only reason i could see it being biblical is "love always protects" but the process of removing all the other false motives from the heart is similar to the development of the main character in a lot of samurai fiction . what was their saying .. it is not i who kills the enemy but the sword ?

Hmm yeah Muramasa very interesting, always an interesting story .

And examining the reputation of their forger a good example of one who made a weapon with the wrong motives .

Back