Christians and Materialism

Yes, the greek says that... and it's a horrible translation from the Aramaic (don't worry, many Aramaic sayings are mistranslated into greek). The saying (In Aramaic) is actually:

But the Greecian "camel at the gate" is equally as nifty. I don't find fault with an individual being self-sufficient, but excess is a sure sign of one's handle on such things. Guess it's all in self reflection though...

Shalom

Jesus wants us be generous in giving. We should not be so materialistic that we cannot give as much as we should as Jesus' servants.

Agreed. If you think I was hinting otherwise... re-read please.

My ideal is that...

We should give in measure...but that measure should not impoverish the one giving. Else all you've done is re-created the scenario in which both of you found yourself.

Self-Sufficient to me means: "Able to provide for oneself." My reference to excess is in dissapproval.

Of note... there are commandments from YHVH that require us to set aside a portion of our goods, to distribute to the poor. This is so that with a community effort, there is little to no poverty, and everyone has enough for themselves.

Shalom

I believe that it is ok to have things until your things begin to have you. As long as Christ is first in your heart you will always do the right thing as far as giving or for that matter everything else>

All gave some and some gave All

Materialism is simply placing more value on the material things of life than people. Having possesions does not make one materilistic. Nor does having excess of ones needs. The essence of materialism in relationship to God is what one does when it comes to desiding between what they own and what another needs. One who sets aside an amount for the needs of others to protect the rest of his possesions is wiser but no less, possibly more materialistic than the one who gives of what they have without setting aside or giving consistantly..
The same goes for those who tithe or give to the church so that they can hold to that which they have set aside for themselves. Those who spend little time and effort on the behalf of worhip and others are often materialistic. Even though they give monitarily to the church. For their time often goes to earn more money to buy more and give impressively while still limiting the percentage of what they give from what they have.
And as well sometime those who spend excessive time and effort in doing for the church sometimes do so in an effort to justify withholding money that may be needed to support a materialistic lifestyle.
Indeptedness is often a sign of materialism, especialy amung Christians.

Am I materilistic? that's not for you or anyone else to say. Are you materialistic? Thats not for me or anyone else to say. Gods word on tithing,giving and materialism are not so that we can judge our brothers and sisters. But so we can see and judge ourself for what we are and change and be changed by God to the Glory of God.

To give as God would have us to give is to give in porportion to the individual person's need. To sacrifice with out restraint or concideration for ourselves even to the point of death if necessary. For that is what Jesus (the son of God) give for us that we may have eternal life. And as we have been given so should we be willing to give for another In His name

Good post

I believe that it is ok to have things until your things begin to have you. As long as Christ is first in your heart you will always do the right thing as far as giving or for that matter everything else>
Short and to the point. And so very true.
:amen:

Back