Christians in college, how do you cope?

Christians in college, how do you cope?

I started college just a month ago. I'm not taken seriously. Like when in group discussions, I am not participating, not because I'm not social, believe me, I can be talkative. The students just seem dissinterested in me. Maybe because I prayed to God how I was a little scared to make friends at school because of not wanting to yoked with unbelievers.

Anyways, should I not push it, and let it be? I mean I don't want to seem like I'm not participating in class discussions, because thats not what I'm trying to do since like I said, I don't have a problem being social. But it's just a difficult thing, since they all seem to be ok with excluding me. :confused: Maybe it's me, am I doing something?

Matthew 10:16-18

Jesus said that His followers will be hated for His name's sake.

But always remember to "love thine enemy".

Jesus spent time with sinners and publicans, because they were the ones in need.

Be with the unbelievers, socialize with them, regardless of what they believe, and do not judge them, so not to be judged by your Heavenly Father.

By letting them your life, and the way you live it, your light will be shone into the darkness. If you wish, you may also go in the ways of Evangelism, and seek and save the lost, the way Jesus did.

hellooo..i have the same problem also. only that i am genuinely shy. but yes i do agree with the above that its good to be in the world even tho not of the world. to make an impact in the world u haf to make frens and then show them Who lives in u, rite? :) ask God to give u wisdom and see things thru His way. ultimately in the end its ur choice also. He gives u free will to decide.

I remember I had the same problem back in school when I first started and the thing that I had to keep telling myself was that the other people were in the same boat as me.

They were new to the whole school thing, and I actually found out that a lot of them went to High School together. So they had already known each other from past years.

Have you found a church yet? That is where I met my "true" friends. They were all there on a Sunday and we went out to eat lunch together and went from there.

Just keep your head up and know that God is with you at all times.

Vivalavida yeah, I don't know anybody from High School. Since I haven't even lived in California for three years. Was living and working in South Carolina and did not go to school. If I did go to school I probably would of known someone in a school in South Carolina, that is where everyone I know is. lol

The thing to do here is what is the truth. As blankgirl says we should always be part of the world, but not of the world. In that case, it wouldn't hurt to make friends at school. Just in the meantime while I try to adjust to everything such as trying to find a church, and everything else.

Babe, this is college. They're disinterested in you just like they are disinterested in EVERYONE. If you want to make friends, just talk to people. Also, participate in class. Your amount of participation in class has almost no affect on you socially. What are you worried about?

- tsi's friend (dottywine)

I honestly believe that they key is not to label yourself as Christian but when asked to simply say I believe in Jesus Christ. The stereotype non-christians give christians is horrible.

Be salt and light and rejoice in your sufferings when you suffer, share the gospel and remember how the brothers came together in Laodicea - Colossians 4 - O how we need the light in a Laodicean-like time. Seek out the brothers. Stick together and shine-let it be a ministry :)

Get to know serious discpiles in small bible studies.

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Mark 18:20

Go fish! :) God bless brother

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians%204;&version=49;

also

http://biblecommenter.com/matthew/18-20.htm
Great recources at this site, although i usually google "bible.cc (+) keyword/phrase/verse" since the google engine i think is better than the internal one

bible.cc

I started college just a month ago. I'm not taken seriously. Like when in group discussions, I am not participating, not because I'm not social, believe me, I can be talkative. The students just seem dissinterested in me. Maybe because I prayed to God how I was a little scared to make friends at school because of not wanting to yoked with unbelievers.

Anyways, should I not push it, and let it be? I mean I don't want to seem like I'm not participating in class discussions, because thats not what I'm trying to do since like I said, I don't have a problem being social. But it's just a difficult thing, since they all seem to be ok with excluding me. Maybe it's me, am I doing something?

maybe they excluded you because you excluded yourself in the first place? Indeed we are not to be yoked with unbelievers,but I believe that was talking about marriage and not friendships. Jesus walked with the outcasts,the sinners.We should show them a good example,not alienate them.There is no Jew or Greek. we are all creations and children of G-d.They are merely sheeps without a shepherd. Be a light to them,and it cannot happen if you're not with them.

Back