Christmas Traditions

Dusty

Inactive
Christmas Traditions

I thought with all the different countries represented that we should hear from you all as to how you each celebrate.. I would love to hear from God's Child from Russia, the Brits ,.. the Aussis the Canucks, of course you all from the good old U.S of A. oh we do have other countries represented... India and if I have missed any please forgive but please join in.

In my family we always go to church on Christmas Eve , then come home and open our gifts and then have food.

On Christmas day we sing carols and the reading of the birth of Jesus. We then help with the preparation of the dinner. Our dinner is the traditional... turkey stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravey, squash and all the rest.

Then later we will have our desert. Plumb pudding , baked goods, fruit cake etc.

In the evening we usually play board games and then sit around the fireplace.

Until last year I never liked a single holiday. As the head of a large meat department a typical holiday for me was 75 to 80 hours of grueling labour. Since my injuries I haven't yet returned to working so I have decided to start a new family tradition. I will let my family see dad awake on a holiday!:D

Praise God bro Larry.... God has a purpose and a plan for our lives. I am sure your family will rejoice.

Yeah Dusty my wife seems particulaly happy to see me awake!

One of our family traditions is to open one gift on Christmas Eve. It's always a nice book for that particular child's interests. Sometimes it's Jane Austen, sometimes a sports bio. Depends on the child.

I found a pretty cool advent countdown for anyone who wants to add some fun family traditions. It's free and you can get it at: http://www.christmascelebrationideas.com

Why thankyou Beckman and may I extend a warm welcome to you and hope you enjoy our company here at CFS

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Some Christmas traditions have long been left aside, such as candles on the trees. Although my father did go out and buy a set of light bulb candles with water in them that bubbles. The ornaments on our trees normally have meaning such as places we have lived, family memories, etc. On Christmas Eve, that was the time that we read the Christmas story, but lately we have been reading it on Christmas day, since we get together on that day. After the story, then comes presents. After presents comes dinner. Christmas dinner is a Christmas Ham, and side dishes.

Bookworm.... I was living in Switzerland many years ago and they too had candles on their Christmas trees. Of course you did not light them and go away but I remember how pretty they looked when they were lit up.

Later I was living with some Norwegian girls and they put sparklers on their tree... turned out all the lights and what a pretty sight that was.

My family usesaly go to our Church on Christmas Eve for a services but I don't think it will happeren this year as Christmas Eve is so close to Sunday. On Christmas and Boxing Days we spend it as a family and have a bit of fun.:)

Oh Esther..... So you guys have Boxing Day as well. I think we must have followed your tradition, but the U. S. does not have it . They have Black Fri. which is the same concept but it is the day after their Thanksgiving.

I don't usually participate in that day as there are too many people and all scrambling for bargains.

Even though you FORGOT the Romanian chick:D, I will join in anyway! When I was still in Romania, we didn't actually put up our Christmas tree until December 24th, which, if I'm not mistaken, it is a European tradition of sorts. Santa Clause would "bring" the tree along with the presents and we found them on our balcony on the morning of 24th. We decorated the tree but didn't open the presents until the next day. We usually had Christmas dinner at one or the other grandmother's house and our tradition was that we had about a 4 to 5 course meal so we started about 2PM and didn't get up from the table until about 10PM. Take in consideration though that in communist Romania usually the only time we had a feast that included meat was only on special occasions, so maybe 5 or 6 times a year. The rest of the time we ate potatoes, beans and chicken wings (when we could fins them!)

Laura:)

Oh Esther..... So you guys have Boxing Day as well. I think we must have followed your tradition, but the U. S. does not have it . They have Black Fri. which is the same concept but it is the day after their Thanksgiving.

I don't usually participate in that day as there are too many people and all scrambling for bargains.

Yes. The UK rules. I don't go shopping on Boxing Day to mad and I love my family.:)

Even though you FORGOT the Romanian chick:D, I will join in anyway! When I was still in Romania, we didn't actually put up our Christmas tree until December 24th, which, if I'm not mistaken, it is a European tradition of sorts. Santa Clause would "bring" the tree along with the presents and we found them on our balcony on the morning of 24th. We decorated the tree but didn't open the presents until the next day. We usually had Christmas dinner at one or the other grandmother's house and our tradition was that we had about a 4 to 5 course meal so we started about 2PM and didn't get up from the table until about 10PM. Take in consideration though that in communist Romania usually the only time we had a feast that included meat was only on special occasions, so maybe 5 or 6 times a year. The rest of the time we ate potatoes, beans and chicken wings (when we could fins them!)

Intersting how the traditons seem to vary from region to region.:)

There seems to be something wrong with my tree!!!

Who said I forgot the Romanian Chick. I could never do that. I was waiting for your input.
:D:D:D

Here ya go Laura so you don't think I forgot you. I have put a lot of traditions on the Trivia thread in the discussion forum. Maybe I should have put them here. Perhaps Bro Larry can help do that.

hollybar.gif

[SIZE=+1]Christmas in Romania[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
  • Carols form an important part of the Romanian folklore. Romanian carols are not simple songs (a sort of invocation in verse sung by children and lads, on the evening of Winters Holidays) with religions origin, but wide windows through which we are allowed once in a year to go by the immaculate snow-towards the evergreen Heaven and to eye-touch God at least for an instant , in order to give us the power to surpass the life's obstacles. Carols put people in the mood for a perfect communion with the simple and healing greatness of Jesus' Birth. The carol singers walk in the streets of the villages and towns holding in their hands a star made of board and paper with biblical scenes painted in water colors and they sing:
[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=-1]"Do you receive the pretty star,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Pretty and so very bright?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]It Haseko we did in the sky[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Just like God thought it would be right,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Stand it could be seen on high,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Just like we did in the sky" [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]On the first Christmas day, children walk in the streets of snow covered towns and villages, when holding in their hands a star made of board and paper with a biblical scenes painted in water colors or an icon showing Virgin Mary and baby Jesus, they sing somewhat of a question: [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]"Do you receive the pretty star,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Pretty and so bright?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]It has appeared on the earth[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Just like God through it would be right[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]And it could be seen on high,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Just like we did, in the sky. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Five days before Christmas with a very sharp knife the pig is cut. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]This custom is called "Ignatius" from Saint Ignatius (celebrated on December the 20th). Straws are put in his snout and then it is covered with burning straws and then is it singed. The pig is nicely washed and covered with a piece of cloth for ten minutes. The housewife comes and incense the pig and then the husband comes and makes the sign of the cross on the pig's head saying to the family gathered around: "Let's eat the pig!" After the pig is cut there is a feast called the pig's funeral feast or alms. At the feast the whole family friends and neighbors take part. All eat the rid or the skin of the bacon and they also eat small pieces of fried pork they drink wine or plum brandy. [/SIZE]
hollybar.gif

I'm from Germany and on Christmas Eve I always go to the church at 4pm. There is a wonderful service with a neat nativity play. At 6pm we start having our banquet with the whole family. And here comes in my favourite meal of the year! :D

1. Borscht (a spicy beetroot soup)
2. Carp with potatoes and sauerkraut
3. Poppy seed dumplings
4. Fresh plum compote

We start and end the banquet with prayers. And we have a nice evening with a lot's of Christmas-carols.

I'm from Germany and on Christmas Eve I always go to the church at 4pm. There is a wonderful service with a neat nativity play. At 6pm we start having our banquet with the whole family. And here comes in my favourite meal of the year! :D

1. Borscht (a spicy beetroot soup)
2. Carp with potatoes and sauerkraut
3. Poppy seed dumplings
4. Fresh plum compote

We start and end the banquet with prayers. And we have a nice evening with a lot's of Christmas-carols.
THAT SOUNDS AWESOME!

Back