Church camps

Hey Lanolin;

In the past we used to go to a yearly church family camp and it was really awesome to worship and go hiking in the forest. The cooked food tasted good outside.

The part we enjoyed the most was when we helped each other setup and take down our tents. It was a nice bond. My wife is not much of a camper and would sweep inside our tent and then spray Lysol. lol!

Church camps are great but I also enjoy going into the lakes we have up northern Canada. One of the brothers has a fishing outfit way up north. You park your vehicle in a small community and then it is by boat for a couple of hours. I thought I could pay attention and mark the way but after about a dozen islands I was as lost as could be, its one of those places that you have to have a guide. But when you get there it's like you never fished before... The brother took us on a tour and on one island there were a few long abandon building, i came to understand that the 'Valentines' had lived there - how 'in the middle of nowhere' I can't imagine. But getting out where there is nothing for miles makes a person pay attention to the creator.

A lot of church camps in nz are special christian camping grounds that also have cabins and dorms - you don't necessarily need a tent. More of like a holiday park.

I think I prefer the retreat type camps to the hostel type/holiday park ones where everyone goes and there's just so many people that you might as well have stayed home. Some are near the beach though, I sometimes feel that some pack so much activities and speakers into the day that its kind of exhausting rather than refreshing.

Church camps are great but I also enjoy going into the lakes we have up northern Canada. One of the brothers has a fishing outfit way up north. You park your vehicle in a small community and then it is by boat for a couple of hours. I thought I could pay attention and mark the way but after about a dozen islands I was as lost as could be, its one of those places that you have to have a guide. But when you get there it's like you never fished before... The brother took us on a tour and on one island there were a few long abandon building, i came to understand that the 'Valentines' had lived there - how 'in the middle of nowhere' I can't imagine. But getting out where there is nothing for miles makes a person pay attention to the creator.
Who or what is the valentines?

I can't imagine a place where there's nothing for miles as I'm living on an island. My part is the most crowded!
For us islanders, going to a smaller island with less people is mostly where it's at.

Theres a few christian camps on some islands in the gulf that have been there for years. It's getting there thats difficult as our roads can be quite treachorous - narrow, hilly and windy - and flights are expensive.

Back