Church "leaders"?

Hello, I need to ask a question that I have been wondering for a while now: When you say "leaders" in your church, who do you really and particularly refer to? I mean, are they like, pastors or deacons?

P.S. I've been listening to some preachers from the US and have heard them mention this many times now.

Priests, bishops, cardinals, and popes. There are leadership roles outside of their positions (like laymen tend to run the RCIC/RCIA programs, sometimes sisters and friars run homeless programs -- but these are people leading certain programs).

When I talk about "leaders" in my church, I'm talking about the people who demonstrate that they are spiritually mature, and who take on active roles in teaching, mentoring, and discipleship. We don't have any official positions or titles, but we do have people who share the role of leadership.

Thanks for the responses, but actually as a translator, I find it difficult--as a matter of fact--very difficult to translate this part when it doesn't specifically point to a person with this role. I'm doing the subtitles (movie captions) for some sort of preaching programs done by Christian pastors, and have encountered this very often. Now, usually for a subtitle to be effective for reading (fast), you will paraphrase and just try to shorten longer sentences while still retaining the contextual meaning. And so, it'd be very helpful if you can just have a 1-word translation for this specific role to save the space. And the problem is, you cannot translate it as simply "leader" in certain contexts, like one case, for instance: a Senior Pastor in a mega church preaches something in the pulpit mentioning his "leaders". And of course, if you translate it as it is, that would make it sound like this senior/leading Pastor (or whatever they're called) is being "mentored by these leaders," when that's not it. Hope you get my point.

And of course, if you translate it as it is, that would make it sound like this senior/leading Pastor (or whatever they're called) is being "mentored by these leaders," when that's not it.

Yeah. Sometimes in translation, there's no suitable word in the receptor language that has equivalent connotations. What language are you translating into, just out of curiosity? If there's a word that means "team," that might come pretty close to what you're looking for. Although, since the pastor you're referring to talks about "his leaders," he seems to mean "leaders who are under my leadership," so if there's a word that means "colleagues" but with subordinative connotations, that might be more precise. Some churches refer to the whole set of official leaders as a ministry team, or leadership team.

Thanks for the responses, but actually as a translator, I find it difficult--as a matter of fact--very difficult to translate this part when it doesn't specifically point to a person with this role. I'm doing the subtitles (movie captions) for some sort of preaching programs done by Christian pastors, and have encountered this very often. Now, usually for a subtitle to be effective for reading (fast), you will paraphrase and just try to shorten longer sentences while still retaining the contextual meaning. And so, it'd be very helpful if you can just have a 1-word translation for this specific role to save the space. And the problem is, you cannot translate it as simply "leader" in certain contexts, like one case, for instance: a Senior Pastor in a mega church preaches something in the pulpit mentioning his "leaders". And of course, if you translate it as it is, that would make it sound like this senior/leading Pastor (or whatever they're called) is being "mentored by these leaders," when that's not it. Hope you get my point.

How about "clergy"?

And of course, if you translate it as it is, that would make it sound like this senior/leading Pastor (or whatever they're called) is being "mentored by these leaders," when that's not it. Hope you get my point.
In a mega church its likely the 'elders' mentoring. Well at least it should be.

Church Positions

translated as Bishop or Overseer ..
Act 20:28 - episkopos - (gender male)
Phl 1:1 - episkopos - (gender male)
1Ti 3:1 - episkope - (plural)
1Ti 3:2 - episkopos - (gender male)
Tts 1:7 - episkopos - (gender male)
1Pe 2:25 - episkopos - (gender male)

translated as Deacon ..
Phl 1:1 - diakonos - (gender male)
1Ti 3:8 - diakonos - (gender male)
1Ti 3:10 - diakoneo - (gender it)
1Ti 3:12 - diakonos - (gender male)
1Ti 3:13 - diakoneo - (gender it)
1Ti 4:6 - diakonos - (gender male)

note: diakonos can be found in many more verses, but is not in reference to a position in a church, but a reference to "to minister", "to serve", or simply "a servant"

a presbyteros (translated as elder) is an elder from a council for making church decisions ..

CHRISTIAN USAGE ..
Act 14:23 When they had appointed elders G4245 for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

the Christian use was derived from the Judaic use for members of the great council or Sanhedrin (because in early times the rulers of the people, judges, etc., were selected from elderly men)

JUDAIC USAGE ..
Mat 16:21 From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders G4245 and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.

Last edited:
Back