City of Houston demands pastors to turn over sermons

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons/

Anyone read about this? This is wrong no matter if it is about homosexuality, murder, rape etc.
City of Houston council members voted 11 to 6 to pass an Equal Rights Ordinance (what they call the "bathroom bill") which gives men who feel like they are a woman to use the women's bathrooms in the city. Conservative Christian activists countered with a referendum petition to remove the bill. The petition required 17,269 qualified signatures. The Christians gathered over 55,000.

Then the mayor of Houston had the City Attorney "disqualify" 38,000 of the signatures, based on nit-picking reasons (if the signature was in print writing instead of cursive writing it was disqualified; if the signature was in cursive but illegible, it was disqualified, etc.). He disqualified just enough signatures to the the number below the required 17,269. The average number of bonafide disqualifications of signatures on petitions are about 5%.

Then the Christians filed a lawsuit against the ordinance, citing the unfair signature disqualifications.

Unsatisfied with violating the rights of the citizens to petition, the City then issued subpeonas to five of the pastors who helped to organize the petitions. Among other information, the city is requesting communications between the pastors and their attorneys pertaining to the ERO lawsuit, communications between the pastors and their congregants, and even the pastors’ sermons.

It is worth quoting the actual subpoena: “all speeches, presentations, or sermons related to H[ouston] ERO, the Petition, Mayor Annise Parker, homosexuality, or gender identity prepared by, delivered by, revised by, or approved by you or in your possession.”

The attorney for the five pastors has filed a motion to quash the subpoenas and is waiting for a response from the City of Houston.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...-petition-goes-after-local-pastors-ian-tuttle

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014...or-changing-tune-on-pastors-sermon-subpoenas/

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...bpoenas-sermons-in-ERO-court-case-5822800.php

Oh good grief! How about Yahoo then?

http://news.yahoo.com/why-city-houston-wanted-sermons-five-christian-pastors-020730663.html

And the way Obamacare is written, it can ration health care, which is in essence a death panel, so Palin was correct...

Having not seen the story anywhere else besides Fox (prior to your providing me with this link) I tend to conclude that it is an exaggeration--and for the record I use four different News Apps: CNN, USA Today, BBC and Fox. From what information I did read, there was no legitimate reason for the Court to ask for sermons, and it smelled much like a "general" warrant, which is illegal.

However, if it pertains to an investigation of a legitimate crime, even sermons can be evidence in an investigation. It is not privileged information. The fact that any particular pastor had sermons subpoenaed would neither bother, nor surprise me. Plenty of crazy, cultish churches say things that could constitute criminal conduct. WBC for instance. The fact that so many were subpoenaed indicates this is a witch hunt.

Having not seen the story anywhere else besides Fox (prior to your providing me with this link) I tend to conclude that it is an exaggeration--and for the record I use four different News Apps: CNN, USA Today, BBC and Fox. From what information I did read, there was no legitimate reason for the Court to ask for sermons, and it smelled much like a "general" warrant, which is illegal.

However, if it pertains to an investigation of a legitimate crime, even sermons can be evidence in an investigation. It is not privileged information. The fact that any particular pastor had sermons subpoenaed would neither bother, nor surprise me. Plenty of crazy, cultish churches say things that could constitute criminal conduct. WBC for instance. The fact that so many were subpoenaed indicates this is a witch hunt.
Did you even read the article? It was a blanket subpoena to see if they were going to speak about the new rights law. They had to comply IF they spoke on that subject, that's just wrong and the mayor should be impeached just for asking; it's clearly a violation of the first amendment.

Where are the authorities who would force her out of office if, say, she did other obviously unconstitutional things, like using the power of her office to spy or interfere with an opponents campaign against her? If she were discriminating against a minority as brazenly as this, she would be forced out in a week or two.

Don't be surprised if you find a religious organization hiding behind this mayor....

The Harlot religious organization is going to do everything in it's power to get a slice of the action.... The way they do this is to make sure that THEY are the power brokers behind the Ruling class ruling unfettered.... and part of this is to hammer down any opposition ESPECIALLY within Christian groups....

Where are the authorities who would force her out of office if, say, she did other obviously unconstitutional things, like using the power of her office to spy or interfere with an opponents campaign against her? If she were discriminating against a minority as brazenly as this, she would be forced out in a week or two.
Look at what Obama has done against the constitution. He isn't out yet. Laws are changing where it protects the government not the voters

Did you even read the article? It was a blanket subpoena to see if they were going to speak about the new transgender/gay rights law. They had to comply IF they spoke on that subject, that's just wrong and the mayor should be impeached just for asking; it's clearly a violation of the first amendment.

Amen brother!

Look at what Obama has done against the constitution. He isn't out yet. Laws are changing where it protects the government not the voters

You are correct but I think his influence is about to come to and end. From what I can read and understand, it appears that the Rep. are going to retake the Senate and increase in the House. IF that happens, there will be some dramatic changes in store for Mr. Obama.

Don't be surprised if you find a religious organization hiding behind this mayor....

The Harlot religious organization is going to do everything in it's power to get a slice of the action.... The way they do this is to make sure that THEY are the power brokers behind the Ruling class ruling unfettered.... and part of this is to hammer down any opposition ESPECIALLY within Christian groups....

I can already tell you that the Mayor is a she and she is a "lesbian".

Do you really believe that a person can say things which are illegal so strongly that you would not be surprised to learn of it?

You are correct but I think his influence is about to come to and end. From what I can read and understand, it appears that the Rep. are going to retake the Senate and increase in the House. IF that happens, there will be some dramatic changes in store for Mr. Obama.
I do hope you are correct. While I have no expectation ffrom the left of policy founded upon morality, my expectation for such from the right is waning.

I do hope you are correct. While I have no expectation ffrom the left of policy founded upon morality, my expectation for such from the right is waning.

Politics are funny. History shows us that our society swings from liberal to conservative and back. Mr. Obama was in the right place at the right time.
USA was War weary, economically recessed and along come a hero (Perceived).

Politics are funny. History shows us that our society swings from liberal to conservative and back. Mr. Obama was in the right place at the right time.
USA was War weary, economically recessed and along come a hero (Perceived).

I'm ready for a big swing back. You see one coming?

Back