Claiming God's Promise for Yourself?

Just the other night, I was out walking, desperately asking God for directions as I have been feeling stuck not knowing what to do next with my life. And then the verses Isaiah 43:18-19 showed up in front me. It was written on a poster I happened to look at that very minute. I was very careful and read the whole context of these verses and found out the original audience was the Israelites in captive in Babylon. I did further studies and I can say that my current situation really applies to what these verses really mean. Can I claim this as God's answer to my desperate cry? And more importantly can I claim this as God's promise and guidance for me? Thank you in advance!

Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland. -- ISAIAH 43:18-19

Wow! Praise God, what an awesome answer to your prayer! In my opinion and experience, by all means you can accept those verses as your answer. And as you continue to seek first God and His ways (mt 6:33) mening that you put Him first in everything, and make the Word of God your final authority....then He will continue to lead and guide you.

My question is when you first saw these verses....what did you feel on the inside of you? Like a knowing and a peace that this was God?

Wow! Praise God, what an awesome answer to your prayer! In my opinion and experience, by all means you can accept those verses as your answer. And as you continue to seek first God and His ways (mt 6:33) mening that you put Him first in everything, and make the Word of God your final authority....then He will continue to lead and guide you.

My question is when you first saw these verses....what did you feel on the inside of you? Like a knowing and a peace that this was God?

Thank you for taking your time answering my question. To be honest, I felt scared seeing these verses the first time. Scared in a sense that it's because I knew and I'm sure that it was really God speaking to me that very minute and that I MUST OBEY. I had the inner knowing that it was Him because the verses really struck me hard. "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past." God for sure, knows I am dealing with something in my past and clearly He wants me to let Him do the work now. It's like God asking me to let go of my favorite toy. But as I pondered reading the whole context of the book of Isaiah particularly Chapter 43, and after searching for different interpretations from different Christian people, I was finally able to surrender that 'thing' to God. I really just wanted to be sure that I am not violating any Bible study/interpretation rules or principles because I read somewhere that you cannot just claim a verse of Scripture. However, I don't believe in coincidences. How these verses appeared from nowhere that same time I was desperately crying to God for a Word of guidance is, in my opinion, God-orchestrated. I actually found 2 interpretations in which I found myself just nodding with every word written in it. These verses really do apply in my situation plus God has finally given me rest. I take that comfort as God's assurance that everything is being well taken care of -- of Him.

Last edited:
God's Word is for everyone. Every word of it. Many people do not agree with that, but if one really studies the Word of God, its in there. 2 Timothy 3:16

God's Word is His roadmap for our lives. And if we choose to walk in all of God's ways...we will have great success. I fully agree with you that there are no coincindences, divine apointments yes....:) and in my thoughts you had a divine apointment. And i am blessed to know that you are finding comfort in knowing that God has got this all for you :)

Blessings

Thank you for taking your time answering my question. To be honest, I felt scared seeing these verses the first time. Scared in a sense that it's because I knew and I'm sure that it was really God speaking to me that very minute and that I MUST OBEY. I had the inner knowing that it was Him because the verses really struck me hard. "Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past." God for sure, knows I am dealing with something in my past and clearly He wants me to let Him do the work now. It's like God asking me to let go of my favorite toy. But as I pondered reading the whole context of the book of Isaiah particularly Chapter 43, and after searching for different interpretations from different Christian people, I was finally able to surrender that 'thing' to God. I really just wanted to be sure that I am not violating any Bible study/interpretation rules or principles because I read somewhere that you cannot just claim a verse of Scripture. However, I don't believe in coincidences. How these verses appeared from nowhere that same time I was desperately crying to God for a Word of guidance is, in my opinion, God-orchestrated. I actually found 2 interpretations in which I found myself just nodding with every word written in it. These verses really do apply in my situation plus God has finally given me rest. I take that comfort as God's assurance that everything is being well taken care of -- of Him.

Tine Greetings,
I share this warning with you dealing with the event that took place in your life.
First of all - Only YOU my friend can truly tell if God spoke to you or made these words stand out to you. ( Happens many times in my life )

Now for the warning -
With what I said above please take note of the following.
1...satan comes immediatly to steel, kill and destroy. he comes to take any word or faith or revelation from you for the word sake BEFORE it can begin to grow roots and then begin to grow upward. Seed always grows down before it grows up.

2.. Tine I have said this for one reason and one reason only - our enemy the devil loves big time to use other CHRISTIANS to do his bidding. Tearing you down and taking away from what God is building. They have no clue that they are even being used for most christians think they know our enemy and can spot his ways a mile away. Sad but true, far too many of these people open them selves up to the enmy every single day of their lives.

So please take advice as a grain of salt and weigh everything unto His word and through prayer - Dont allow your BREAK THROUGH to be stolen from you. It happens far to often. I know for I have a closet full of those tshirts. lol

God Bless
Jim

Tine Greetings,
I share this warning with you dealing with the event that took place in your life.
First of all - Only YOU my friend can truly tell if God spoke to you or made these words stand out to you. ( Happens many times in my life )

Now for the warning -
With what I said above please take note of the following.
1...satan comes immediatly to steel, kill and destroy. he comes to take any word or faith or revelation from you for the word sake BEFORE it can begin to grow roots and then begin to grow upward. Seed always grows down before it grows up.

2.. Tine I have said this for one reason and one reason only - our enemy the devil loves big time to use other CHRISTIANS to do his bidding. Tearing you down and taking away from what God is building. They have no clue that they are even being used for most christians think they know our enemy and can spot his ways a mile away. Sad but true, far too many of these people open them selves up to the enmy every single day of their lives.

So please take advice as a grain of salt and weigh everything unto His word and through prayer - Dont allow your BREAK THROUGH to be stolen from you. It happens far to often. I know for I have a closet full of those tshirts. lol

God Bless
Jim

It's so confusing but praise God that I can rest on the truth that as long as I'm in constant communion with the Father, He is for sure guiding my steps.

It's so confusing but praise God that I can rest on the truth that as long as I'm in constant communion with the Father, He is for sure guiding my steps.

Learning something new can be uneasy, because you are still learning where the path is for your feet. But as you meditate on the Scriptures that God gives you and spend time in His Word, then you will find peace that passess all of your understanding :)
Blessings

Learning something new can be uneasy, because you are still learning where the path is for your feet. But as you meditate on the Scriptures that God gives you and spend time in His Word, then you will find peace that passess all of your understanding :)
Blessings

Peace that passes all understanding, love it! I am sensing that now. God is good! Thank you!

Tine, welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you.

To be honest, I felt scared seeing these verses the first time. Scared in a sense that it's because I knew and I'm sure that it was really God speaking to me that very minute and that I MUST OBEY.
Peace that passes all understanding, love it! I am sensing that now. God is good! Thank you!
Well, that's progress, isn't it? From fear to peace. We see something of that in the life of Jacob, don't we? Early on in his pathway, when he came to Bethel "he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." (Genesis 28:17). He thought the house of God was a dreadful place, it made him afraid. At the end of his life, there's a different picture: "By faith Jacob when dying blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshipped on the top of his staff." (Hebrews 11:21). He began as Jacob, but he ended as Israel. Jacob had a good many faults (and I can definitely identify with that!) but he loved the birthright, he valued the promises of God. If we value the promises of God, then He'll surely bring us into the good of them.

Tine, welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you.

Well, that's progress, isn't it? From fear to peace. We see something of that in the life of Jacob, don't we? Early on in his pathway, when he came to Bethel "he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven." (Genesis 28:17). He thought the house of God was a dreadful place, it made him afraid. At the end of his life, there's a different picture: "By faith Jacob when dying blessed each of the sons of Joseph, and worshipped on the top of his staff." (Hebrews 11:21). He began as Jacob, but he ended as Israel. Jacob had a good many faults (and I can definitely identify with that!) but he loved the birthright, he valued the promises of God. If we value the promises of God, then He'll surely bring us into the good of them.

Thank you for sharing that to us Grant. I truly and fully value the Promises of God and all I want is to obey whatever He wants me to do. John 2:5

God has blessed me so much even before I became a Christian. I may have never liked my past but looking back now with a Godly perspective, I'm starting to see things differently. I can't believe how God has been at work all throughout my life. God is so good!

Thank you for sharing that to us Grant. I truly and fully value the Promises of God and all I want is to obey whatever He wants me to do. John 2:5

God has blessed me so much even before I became a Christian. I may have never liked my past but looking back now with a Godly perspective, I'm starting to see things differently. I can't believe how God has been at work all throughout my life. God is so good!
God is so good, absolutely. I always feel that I'm only touching the surface of the love of God towards me, in my understanding and appreciation of it. It truly is "waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed through." (Ezekiel 47:5). We can never compass the great goodness of God, but as you say, we can get some impression of it when we look back over our history and see the way He's dealt with us - not least in redeeming us and bringing us to Himself! I can say for myself that I need a fuller impression of God's goodness on a daily basis: too often I tend to forget about His daily mercies when things are going well. Perhaps if I was more occupied with His things day-to-day, I would appreciate what He provides in a practical way.

Just the other night, I was out walking, desperately asking God for directions as I have been feeling stuck not knowing what to do next with my life. And then the verses Isaiah 43:18-19 showed up in front me. It was written on a poster I happened to look at that very minute. I was very careful and read the whole context of these verses and found out the original audience was the Israelites in captive in Babylon. I did further studies and I can say that my current situation really applies to what these verses really mean. Can I claim this as God's answer to my desperate cry? And more importantly can I claim this as God's promise and guidance for me? Thank you in advance!

Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness
and streams in the wasteland. -- ISAIAH 43:18-19
Holding fast to, or claiming, a promise from God is commendable and I would encourage it. Just be "in the know" that God works thru your life experiences and as such, does not always, or even often, make something happen immediately. Most of the time you have to be made ready for the fulfillment for we all have paths, predetermined by God's will, to "walk". These are incredible journeys and you will learn more from these than anything mankind can teach. This is why faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.". Hebrews 11:1

Holding fast to, or claiming, a promise from God is commendable and I would encourage it. Just be "in the know" that God works thru your life experiences and as such, does not always, or even often, make something happen immediately. Most of the time you have to be made ready for the fulfillment for we all have paths, predetermined by God's will, to "walk". These are incredible journeys and you will learn more from these than anything mankind can teach. This is why faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.". Hebrews 11:1

Thank you Big Moose. God has given me so much peace now and I'd like to take this as a confirmation from God that I finally understood His message 'correctly' and that I am indeed walking in His will. All I have to do is to let Him lead me. God bless you!

Awesome. That is the fear of the Lord. You were in awe of Him. And that is how we need to act towards Him. He is very much a part of our lives and indeed those verse were for you. :D

Back