Close to Retirement, Or Retired?

Ok, after having had 1 people visit for the summer, my wife is now on a week long road trip to see her brother and her collage roommate. I am home along and enjoying spending quality time with myself and the dog. However, not sure I am ready for total isolation from the planet.

Rtm
I normally ride with others, and it gets a bit competitive at times. It's a strange sport where the pace is too high for a chat, and we communicate mainly be our actions. After the ride, we stop at a café, but I soon get tired of the worldly aspects of it all, and say my goodbyes. Ham radio is also a type of conversation where most are brief and to the point. In either case, I like the idea of being seen yet not being seen. Anonymity amongst friends. Some would say I was a social hermit.

I am happy when I get visitors, and I am also happy when they leave me alone. So, I am happy regardless.

I am retired (2020) in more was than one. Since 2010 I have chosen to live alone like a hermit (occasional visit on the internet, but no TV, no radio, no music). Silence is a treasure for me. I am not mentally busy with the world as I used to be. Less distractions brings me closer to God.

I have a small bucket list (3 items), and they are being worked on at this very moment. These three have been on my list since childhood. That is:
1/ Take up painting as an expression for my love of the Truth.
2/ To become as true as I can be in road cycling. It gets me outdoors and active.
3/ Last year I gained my first level in amateur radio, and now studying to get full licence. Only interested in the building my own gear and using Morse code as my primary means of communications (it's slower and suits my pace).

Ok, after having had 1 people visit for the summer, my wife is now on a week long road trip to see her brother and her collage roommate. I am home along and enjoying spending quality time with myself and the dog. However, not sure I am ready for total isolation from the planet.

Rtm

My wife is leaving with the whole family for a mini vacation end of this month. So I'll have my alone time but this will give me time to get some little things done around the yard and house.

The good part is I'm going to enjoy watching the Ten Commandments, yes, I still love this movie and it's a long movie. I always enjoy watching long movies while eating Häagen-Dazs ice cream, chocolate cake and coffee.

😎 👍

Dear brothers and sisters;

Please read and meditate on this all too familiar passage from Jeremiah 29:11-14, 11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. 13 You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile. - ESV

After 70 years of captivity in Babylon, God was giving Jeremiah a Word for His people. He hadn't forgotten them and promised them a hope for the future.

I was thinking this past year about a time when I was in my early 20's, I was very single and happy. I really didn't think about the things to come later in my 30s, 40s, up to the time when I would retire. After all, I was a young lad and at that time was living for the moment.

Years after college Hazel and I got married, (she was 27 and I was 28) and over the years we were involved in the church, had steady employment, bought our first home in Daly City, then a second home in Arizona as a rental investment. In between those earlier years we had our shares of problems, our marriage, job disgruntlement, ministry challenges and seminary studies was tough.

When we were in our early 50s we started to discuss our plans for retirement, finances, ministry and where we desired to live. Ideally, we wanted to retire back in San Diego or Goodyear, Arizona where we have family in both cities. But in between all these years, what kind of shape would Hazel and I be in our relationship, what balance is left in our mortgages, finances, health and most of all, our faith. As we reached our mid-50s and one day turn 60, we began to concern ourselves more about being ready for retirement.

21 years ago Jeremiah 29:11-14 was to me a nice, fluffy passage that sounded good, but when I shared this with my mentor counselor, he asked me to think for a moment. Did I think God's people had it easy?!? Did I feel this passage was only meant for them?!?

It was 2 years ago that God revealed His plans for us and definitely not to harm us. We sold our home in Arizona and paid off the mortgage as well as the balance on our first home. Hazel wants to retire after 22 years working and I will join her. Last year I gave my notice to the church that I'm stepping down as their pastor. Our church just hired a new Pastor and as soon as he and his wife are settled, Hazel and I plan to reside overseas for 6 months there and 6 months here in Daly City.

God is giving Hazel and me a new chapter in our marriage with each other. We are prayerfully seeking a church in the small town we will reside. When we return to the states, our family who will manage our home is where we will stay. We will continue to attend and support our former church.

We're still going through the planning stages but by the Lord's leading He has taken our retirement concerns away, step by step.

I know many of our members are young and have their whole lives still in front of them but those who are thinking, planning or are already on board with retirement, I would love to hear from you.
I've been completely retired since 2017 and the thing I most like about being retired is the freedom I enjoy of not being subject to externally-imposed scheduling. I do what I choose to do when I choose to do it. After 44 years of a rat race regulated by external time tables and circumstances, I'm the happiest I've ever been.

Back