Cod Recipe

Cod Recipe

Just cooked a nice piece of Cod for a meal.
Heres the recipe.

2 medium shallots, finely chopped
50g unsalted butter
4 medium sized cod steaks
Salt and pepper
Fresh lemon juice
Dash of lime juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprig of parsley, finely chopped

1) Melt the butter in a pan and add the shallots, cook for 5 minutes.

2) Place Cod on a greased oven proof tray, cover with the butter & shallots from step 1, add pepper to taste.

3) Cook in a pre-heated oven for 5 mins at Gas mark 7 - 220*C - 425*F.

4) Remove from the oven and cover dish / tray with foil. Reduce heat to Gas mark 4 - 180*C - 350*F, and bake for 20 - 25 mins.
(If the cod looks like its drying out, baste with more butter)

5) When Cod is cooked, lay tin foil on another tray and move Cod onto that tray, you will need the liquid.
(Be careful at this point, If your cod is cooked well, when moving trays make sure the cod is lifted completely, and not hanging off the edge of your slice or knife or whatever you use to remove it from the tray, as the cod will break up)

6) Pour the liquid from the tray the cod was cooked on into a small pan, add a teaspoon of lemon juice, a drop of lime and the parsely.
(Be careful at this point, too much lemon and you will ruin the taste of your cod)
Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes, then pour over the cod.

Serve with Mash potato / boiled potatos and peas.
Excellent dish.

Only bad point, Fresh cod fillets can be very expensive, I brought 3 fresh cod fillets today for this meal, and came to just over £6, thats now around $10 (with the new exchange rate).
Warning: If you don't react to onions very well, (like me), trust me, with the shallots, you will! lol.

Good food always costs more, but its so worth it! :)

Enjoy!

Back