Coffee & Conversation - Feb. 6th

READ COLOSSIANS 1:15-22

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before him,

REFLECTION QUESTIONS

What actions and qualities of Jesus does this hymn name?
Which of them mean the most to your spiritual journey?

Which of them would you like to understand better?

This passage said,“Once you were alienated from God and you were enemies with him in your minds, which was shown by your evil actions. But now he has reconciled you by his physical body through death.”
Can you relate to and accept that you were willfully alienated from God as a result of your thoughts and deeds?
In what ways has Jesus changed you, and drawn you closer to God?

this beautiful poem is about much more than simply affirming that Jesus Christ, the man, was also divine; it’s about testifying and bearing witness as to why Jesus Christ, the man, being divine…matters. And for that, Paul doesn’t make his readers wait for very long (either the original readers in Colossae or his more contemporary readers who received his words this morning on their smartphones)—Once you were alienated from God and you were enemies with him in your minds, which was shown by your evil actions. But now he has reconciled you by his physical body through death, to present you before God as a people who are holy, faultless, and without blame (vss 21-22).

Jesus the man, being divine, also matters because if Jesus isn’t fully human, then he can’t truly understand and absorb my daily tendency to be a self-a-holic. And Jesus, the man, being divine matters because if he’s not really divine, then I’ve got nobody capable of helping me overcome my own self-a-holism—I’ve just got someone else like me—a reflection in the mirror trying to help me…and while I appreciate the company, that’s no help at all.

The only One who can do what Paul describes gets done in verses 21-22 of today’s reading is the One Whom verses 15-20 testify Jesus to being.

this beautiful poem is about much more than simply affirming that Jesus Christ, the man, was also divine; it’s about testifying and bearing witness as to why Jesus Christ, the man, being divine…matters. And for that, Paul doesn’t make his readers wait for very long (either the original readers in Colossae or his more contemporary readers who received his words this morning on their smartphones)—Once you were alienated from God and you were enemies with him in your minds, which was shown by your evil actions. But now he has reconciled you by his physical body through death, to present you before God as a people who are holy, faultless, and without blame (vss 21-22).

You are a fine young man Chris, and I want to encourage you to be strong and happy in the Lord.

I finished the book and thank you for it!!!

Back