Common biblical misconceptions

Lions are carnivores right?
i think it might be a good idea to go on a field trip to either an abattoir or a wildlife park and see what happens to sheep and lions. And what happens if you put the two together. God created these animals and He wants us to think on the characteristics of each.

I for one am glad I do not live in a country where hungry lions roam free.

Do deny that Jesus is the lion of Judah?

Lions don't share the same habitats as sheep. Wolves hunt sheep. Jesus is the Lamb of and the Lion of Judah.
jesus is the lamb of God john the baptist declared him so. There is no 'lamb of judah'. There is the lion of judah. They are two different positions. There have been many 'lions of judah' that have ruled Israel. But only Jesus (the lamb of God) is worthy to open the scroll and to rule the Kingdom of God.

You are right sheep and lions dont share the same habitats because if they did the sheep would all be dead. david, who was a shepherd, defended his sheep from lions and killed both lions and bears with rocks.

Another misconception that many people seem to have is that 'elect' means God chose christians before they were born to be christians. Then there seems to be a whole theology about that.

When the bible talks about 'the elect' it means Gods chosen people, specifically the israelites who were chosen to be his holy people. We who are not isrselites but gentiles are adopted into this chosen family via Jesus.

I have now got the Bible (or some of it) in Cockney english if anyone wants to read it. It doesnt have Revelation though :-(

Adam is called a 'geezer' and the chapter of genesis which features them is called 'Adam and Eve make a bloomin' big mistake'.

jesus is the lamb of God john the baptist declared him so. There is no 'lamb of judah'. There is the lion of judah. They are two different positions. There have been many 'lions of judah' that have ruled Israel. But only Jesus (the lamb of God) is worthy to open the scroll and to rule the Kingdom of God.

You are right sheep and lions dont share the same habitats because if they did the sheep would all be dead. david, who was a shepherd, defended his sheep from lions and killed both lions and bears with rocks.

He didn't have to defend his sheep fropm lions as per the whole "You are right sheep and lions dont share the same habitats".

So, it is clear that Jesus is both the lamb of AND the lion of Judah. No contradiction. The misconception is that Jesus cannot be both.

Actually just read the bible ewq you are dont seem to understand that the lamb was slain i.e killed. And rose again. Do you deny this? Who is worthy to take the scroll..the one that was slain. Was the lion slain...nope. The lamb was.

Last edited:
I found another misconception but it may be to do with differing translations that this weird thing comes out that people think wives shouldnt talk about Jesus to their unbelieving husbands.

But actually the KJV version says the opposite, and gives the true meaning because it makes the most sense in the context!!
Compare translations of 1 Peter 3:1-2

If people think that wives should just wear pearls and expensive clothes to show they love Jesus they are doing the exact opposite of what God wants them to do which is talk about Jesus...in their chaste conversation. what is conversation? Its speaking!!
What are husbands without the word..its husbands who are without Jesus, who is the word. So funny that many people get this wrong and their translation mixed up, talk about lost in translation!! Also people seem to think The louder noise you make about Jesus, people hear you, the more (christian) rock music you play, etc....but actually its the meek and quiet who speak about Jesus.

Last edited:
Actually just read the bible ewq you are dont seem to understand that the lamb was slain i.e killed. And rose again. Do you deny this? Who is worthy to take the scroll..the one that was slain. Was the lion slain...nope. The lamb was.

Doesn't change fact Jesus is also called the lion of Judah. You are the one denying that and we are merely trying to show that is in error.

I found another misconception but it may be to do with differing translations that this weird thing comes out that people think wives shouldnt talk about Jesus to their unbelieving husbands.

But actually the KJV version says the opposite, and gives the true meaning because it makes the most sense in the context!!
Compare translations of 1 Peter 3:1-2

If people think that wives should just wear pearls and expensive clothes to show they love Jesus they are doing the exact opposite of what God wants them to do which is talk about Jesus...in their chaste conversation. what is conversation? Its speaking!!
What are husbands without the word..its husbands who are without Jesus, who is the word. So funny that many people get this wrong and their translation mixed up, talk about lost in translation!! Also people seem to think The louder noise you make about Jesus, people hear you, the more (christian) rock music you play, etc....but actually its the meek and quiet who speak about Jesus.

Something the Lord has been helping me with is to have a gentle and quiet spirit like Sarah did. To honor the place of authority that God has placed upon the husband as the head of the house, and to know what to pray, and when/if to to speak about things that May need to be said. Sometimes the best thing (I am learning) is to pray and allow the Holy Spirit lead. To treat my man as a man of God... and trust the Holy Spirit to do the works that need to be done. The Holy Spirit knows what to say, and what things inside need to be fixed first, before other things, so that the growth will be steady and never rejected. Sometimes we can push our ways.. and they are not ready for that yet.

I definitely agree that it's not all about the outside looks that makes a godly woman the wife that she needs to be. It's about being the helper nd team mate that will cause her husband to shine and be who God has called him to be.

Many women don't know how to allow their man to be the head of the house.

Something the Lord has been helping me with is to have a gentle and quiet spirit like Sarah did. To honor the place of authority that God has placed upon the husband as the head of the house, and to know what to pray, and when/if to to speak about things that May need to be said. Sometimes the best thing (I am learning) is to pray and allow the Holy Spirit lead. To treat my man as a man of God... and trust the Holy Spirit to do the works that need to be done. The Holy Spirit knows what to say, and what things inside need to be fixed first, before other things, so that the growth will be steady and never rejected. Sometimes we can push our ways.. and they are not ready for that yet.

I definitely agree that it's not all about the outside looks that makes a godly woman the wife that she needs to be. It's about being the helper nd team mate that will cause her husband to shine and be who God has called him to be.

Many women don't know how to allow their man to be the head of the house.
The holy spirit gives you 'chaste conversation' about Jesus. Many wives can be all about their needs and themselves hence the pearls and expensive clothing that Paul noticed or as Peter puts it plaiting your hair, wearing gold, and showing off their clothing but fail to honor their husband by doing so. The world is geared to treat wives as trophies, which is why rich business men often trade their wives for updated younger models it seems every few years. But looking good doesn't mean anything if you don't talk about Jesus.
Was it a lamb that chased out the money changers?
This is me but I believe the Lion of Judah rose into action.
This is the Good Shepherd who looks after the sheep by chasing away evil.
'the lion of Judah' is a title that the Jewish people knew referred to the king or ruler of their tribe. Many did not recognise Jesus as their Messiah because they expected him to act like a lion, like all the Kings before them who devoured and killed the prophets - just like lions devour and kill their prey. The prophecy for Judah was that kings would come from them - the sceptre wouldn't depart until Shiloh came. What happens with Jesus is he is that Shiloh coming. When Jesus was put on the cross a sign was put saying he was 'the King of the Jews' but this was also in mockery, actually Jesus is King of all Israel. Remember that the kingdom split into 'house of israel' and 'house of Judah' and stayed split until Jesus came.

The problem is many people don't read the Old Testament to find out the history of Israel and the two kingdoms. God never intended Israel to be split into factions and his family to be be squabbling and devouring each other.

This is the Good Shepherd who looks after the sheep by chasing away evil.
'the lion of Judah' is a title that the Jewish people knew referred to the king or ruler of their tribe.

Hi Lanolin
How can that be?
John Wrote what He heard and saw in Heaven and was told to write.

Jesus is the only one who can open the seals.

Revelation 5:5
and one of the elders saith to me, 'Weep not; lo, overcome did the Lion, who is of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, to open the scroll, and to loose the seven seals of it;

Revelation 22:16
"I, Jesus, have sent My angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the bright Morning Star."

Jesus went out as the sacrificial Lamb but will return as the Lion of Judah to judge the world. Also Jesus was of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, and their symbol is a lion. In Medieval literature the lion represents resurrection.
Lanolin, I would take issue with you over the idea that "sheep and lambs willingly give their lives to be sacrificed as meat for us." As far as I am aware they have absolutely no say in the matter!!

Jesus went out as the sacrificial Lamb but will return as the Lion of Judah to judge the world. Also Jesus was of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, and their symbol is a lion. In Medieval literature the lion represents resurrection.
Lanolin, I would take issue with you over the idea that "sheep and lambs willingly give their lives to be sacrificed as meat for us." As far as I am aware they have absolutely no say in the matter!!
They are created by God that way. Actually they are giving us wool, but God had designated lambs and sheep as acceptable sacrifice to Him. They are clean animals, but not just any lamb, it. Had to be without blemish or spot. Also Jesus said he willingly laid down his life, only He can do this. He chose to, because He loved us. He didnit protest, like a lamb.

A very common misconception is that Jesus will return as 'the lion of judah to judge the world' but that is rapturist theology. The Bible does not say this. Instead the Bible clearly states that its the wrath of the Lamb who opens the seven seals and the angels release the plagues, not the lion. The lion was just the means by which the lamb was slain.
Sadly so many people get mixed up in this because they dont read the Bible in order and just pick on one verse, and beleve what they are taught in some churches without investigating what God says.

John 10:11-18 states that Jesus laid down his life and he can take it up again. Our Father is the Good shepherd. The interesting thing is Jesus as the lamb, lays down his life. And He takes it up again i.e he is raised to life again. This is something a lion cannot do. All a lion can do is roar, and steal, kill and destroy, just like Peter said, the devil is like a lion roaring about seeking whom it may devour.

When the disciples saw Jesus ascend into heaven, the angels actually said Jesus would in the SAME way return. They did not say, 'Jesus is going to return as a lion' lol. Some wishful thinking on peoples part who dont see the lamb being raised.

They are created by God that way. Actually they are giving us wool, but God had designated lambs and sheep as acceptable sacrifice to Him. They are clean animals, but not just any lamb, it. Had to be without blemish or spot. Also Jesus said he willingly laid down his life, only He can do this. He chose to, because He loved us. He didnit protest, like a lamb.

A very common misconception is that Jesus will return as 'the lion of judah to judge the world' but that is rapturist theology. The Bible does not say this. Instead the Bible clearly states that its the wrath of the Lamb who opens the seven seals and the angels release the plagues, not the lion. The lion was just the means by which the lamb was slain.
Sadly so many people get mixed up in this because they dont read the Bible in order and just pick on one verse, and beleve what they are taught in some churches without investigating what God says.

They may give their fleece without too much protesting, but that's because they are usually happy to shed it in the warmer weather. However, I have never seen any animal freely submit to being slaughtered.

As to your assertion about this "common misconception", may I respectfully suggest that you study your Bible with as much zeal and vigour as you exert on your keyboard. Try reading Revelation 5: 1-5. As to the rapturist theology - I am a Bible scholar and a theologian, so do not subscribe to any such theories.

You seem to be getting rather hung up on Biblical metaphor regarding sheep and lions. Also your reference to the fact that the sheep can be raised to life again, but the lion cannot. If Jesus decides to return in the guise of a lion then it would be the lion that is raised and not the sheep. It's just metaphorical. Jesus can return in whatever shape he chooses, the form is irrelevant. The Bible is full of symbolism, as of course, was most of the literature in the ancient world.

Lions are carnivores right?
i think it might be a good idea to go on a field trip to either an abattoir or a wildlife park and see what happens to sheep and lions. And what happens if you put the two together. God created these animals and He wants us to think on the characteristics of each.

I for one am glad I do not live in a country where hungry lions roam free.

Ahh, but YOU do!

1 Peter 5:8.........
"Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

Ok for some reason I don't know why, when people talk about the Bible and they assert something is fact based on their own understanding but they don't check it with God first and read the Bible right through this really bothers me! If you try to tell them different they just argue more and more, insisting that they are right and the Bible must be wrong!

Some things like --- scholars claim that the Red Sea is really 'the reed sea' and that the Israelites passed through a swamp. Based on a faulty translation of scripture. But actually they did pass through the Red Sea because all the evidence in the Bible points that they did.There's also physical evidence.

Scholars also claim Jesus is the lion of Judah when they don't actually read the bible that John the Baptist AND John the Revelator both declared him the Lamb of God. They read the bible, fixate on one verse and assume the lion and the lamb are one and the same. Actually they are two different beasts symbolising two different notions of power, PLUS the lion slays the lamb, who rises again. It is only the Lamb who is worthy to take the throne. Even the lion (one of the beasts) has to bow down to the Lamb.

Scholars claim Mary Magdalene was totally different person from Martha's sister Mary. But if you read the Bible and compare the gospels the woman who anointed Jesus was actually Mary and they were the same person. They ignore the fact that Jesus was able to change Mary's heart to one of devotion because she was forgiven much.

Scholars claim that the Mt Sinai where Moses spoke with God is in Israel when the Bible says it's actually in Arabia. So there's a monastery and tourist centre on some other mountain!

Some other common misconceptions or assumptions - Eve ate an apple as the forbidden fruit (when the Bible talks about fig trees in the garden of Eden - and it was a fig tree Jesus cursed ).
There were three wise men (Bible doesn't say how many! There could have been ten!)

I'm not posting to pick holes in what people believe but to encourage you to read the Bible prayerfully and ask God and not make assumptions about Him :) He is an awesome God and if anyone lacks wisdom He's going to give it to you liberally!

'

Misunderstanding of the Bible come from a lack of in depth study. IMHO.

Wisdom is not the same as knowledge.

Knowledge can exist without wisdom, but wisdom can not exist without knowledge.

Anyone can be know a lot of stuff without being wise.

Knowledge is having the ability to shoot a gun correctly and wisdom is the ability of knowing when to use it and when to keep it in you pocket.

Back