Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confused

Hi everyone, I am still busy with my assignment on 1 Corinthians and I have reached a part where I am a bit confused. I need to be able to understand this section and be able to apply it to the modern day church.

This part is highly controversial in the church today and my intentions are not to create controversy here on the forum. I just want to try and get a clearer understanding of what Paul meant.

The verses are the following:

1Co 14:34 Let your women be silent in the churches; for it is not permitted to them to speak, but to be in subjection, as the Law also says.
1Co 14:35 And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home; for it is a shame for a woman to speak in a church.

From what I understand from these verses in context is that the Corinthian church was very disorderly in their services. Many people where dominating the service with tongues and prophecies, they where speaking out of turn and nobody was interpreting or could understand them so the church as a whole could not benefit from the prophecies or the tongues.

Earlier in 1 Cor 11, Paul says women can prophesy but they must show that they are under the authority of their husbands (in those days it was done by the tradition of wearing a head covering).

Here in 1 Cor 14: Paul is indicating to Genesis 3:16, where women must be subject to their husbands.

From what I understand, and from many commentaries, Paul is saying that:

1) The church service must be done in an orderly manner.
2) Women must be subject to the authority of their husbands.
3) If women are not subject to their husbands they must not speak in the church, especially in the area of prophecy (teaching).

Other commentaries say that a wife, must not question her husband openly in the church, but if she has questions she should ask him at home in private, this is done so as not to bring disgrace to herself and her husband.

Now the part that really confuses me is the application of these verses in the modern day church.

How do we apply this to the church today? There are many brilliant, Holy Spirit filled women preaching the word of God throughout the world which is evidence that women through the Holy Spirit do carry the authority to preach.

I think it is all a question of authority. Paul also teaches in other parts that Man is under the authority of Christ and the wife is under the authority of her husband. I think that what Paul was getting to in chapter 14 was that these women who were part of the disorder of the church, where not under any authority except their own and this brought disgrace to them and their husbands.

I know many churches have different views on this, and the world tells us that women have equal rights etc etc etc. I do not want to get this into a debate over worldy things but just some guidance over the biblical model and the role women play in the church according to the word of God.

God Bless.

Keven, due to the nature of your questions and all the different denominations here there are going to be a number of different answers. I don't know if that will make you more confused or whether you will be able to sift through them all and ask the Holy Spirit to give you more insite .

Because yes, what you said the people of that day were dealing with different issues than we are today and in order to understand we need to go back to their time and examine their customs .

Please note from the Moderator Team :

We just ask each one here as they submit their answers to be considerate of others and keep this thread a form of discussions and not denominational bashing . Thanks you for your consideration .and God Bless

Thanks Dusty,

Maybe if some have answers which may be offensive to others, they are welcome to send me a PM.

I know there are some very seasoned and blessed theologians here on the forum, so I welcome their input.

God Bless!

Upon review of this thread , we are reopening with a request that the rules of the forum be respected . Thank you .

Rule 1.2 This is a strictly Moderated forum. The owners and staff of Christian Forum Site reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason. (Note: Staff includes Administrator, Moderators and Helpers)

Common courtesy
Rule 2.1 Common courtesy and civil dialogue is expected from all participants. Common courtesy is a generally understood concept and too broad to fully define here. In short, if you have doubt on whether you should say something, DON'T!

Rule 2.2 If someone disagrees with you do not immediately jump to the conclusion that they are not truly saved just because they disagree, there are differences of opinion in translating Biblical doctrine.

I have been off for a day or so, so I have not seen any of the replies.

For those who sent me PM's I really appreciate it and will look into them as soon as I have some time.

I urge all christians, when we come across a topic like this, we should first consider the opinions of others and weigh them up against the word of God, not our particular denominations belief. NO DENOMINATION IS PERFECT! We are all part of the church of Jesus Christ, and it is by our unity that unbelievers will see that we are true disciples of Christ.

We should honour God first then man!

God bless!

Hi Kevin

I'll stick my neck out and put forward what I personally believe, I really dont mind who does or does not agree with my views on this scripture.

1) Women should not preach nor teach in the presence of men. They are permitted to teach only to children or other women. They should not ursurp the power of the man.
2) Married women should ask their husbands in regard to any questions they might have regarding scripture. Only single or unmarried women (widows / divorced) should make their questions known to the Elders of the church.
3) Women are permitted to pray and be used in interpretation of tongues and used in the gift of prophesy. I believe that a woman's head should be covered at these times..to show submission to the man and "because of the angels".

I think many Christians complicate scripture and turn words and verses around to suit themselves. If scripture tells me dont preach then I dont preach ..its that simple. Scripture is for all believers not just those with rocket science intelligence. If I'm going to err, I would rather err on the side of caution. The Lord has said He has chosen the weak and base things of this world to confound the wise. Praise God He is not a God of confusion.
Praying that The Lord will through The Holy Spirit reveal the truth of these scriptures which you are seeking clarity on. The Lord bless.

Hi Kevin

I'll stick my neck out and put forward what I personally believe, I really dont mind who does or does not agree with my views on this scripture.

1) Women should not preach nor teach in the presence of men. They are permitted to teach only to children or other women. They should not ursurp the power of the man.
2) Married women should ask their husbands in regard to any questions they might have regarding scripture. Only single or unmarried women (widows / divorced) should make their questions known to the Elders of the church.
3) Women are permitted to pray and be used in interpretation of tongues and used in the gift of prophesy. I believe that a woman's head should be covered at these times..to show submission to the man and "because of the angels".

I think many Christians complicate scripture and turn words and verses around to suit themselves. If scripture tells me dont preach then I dont preach ..its that simple. Scripture is for all believers not just those with rocket science intelligence. If I'm going to err, I would rather err on the side of caution. The Lord has said He has chosen the weak and base things of this world to confound the wise. Praise God He is not a God of confusion.
Praying that The Lord will through The Holy Spirit reveal the truth of these scriptures which you are seeking clarity on. The Lord bless.

Thank you for response,

I dont agree or disagree with your comments because, based on literal scripture, you are correct, but that particular piece of scripture is open to interpretation because we have to look into the context in which it was given.

I have now read numerous commentaries, old and new and have yet to find anybody with a clear interpretaion of these scriptures.

In the modern day church there are many excellent women pastors who are obviously gifted by the Holy Spirit, now if God did not want them to preach then why would He have gifted them with the Holy Spirit for that purpose?

Generally, and I speak generally, when I hear a women pastor preach I can hear that her sermon or message is mainly designed for women or that women usually recieve it better than men, but still they are gifted by the Holy Spirit.

This subject will not effect our salvation but can lead to divisions or chaos in a church, so it is important that we address it carefully and with guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Here is some scripture that comes from a different writer which may shed some more light on the matter.

Note particularly verse seven. Men if your prayers are not answered, how are you treating your wife?
1Pe 3:1 If you are a wife, you must put your husband first. Even if he opposes our message, you will win him over by what you do. No one else will have to say anything to him,
1Pe 3:2 because he will see how you honor God and live a pure life.
1Pe 3:3 Don't depend on things like fancy hairdos or gold jewelry or expensive clothes to make you look beautiful.
1Pe 3:4 Be beautiful in your heart by being gentle and quiet. This kind of beauty will last, and God considers it very special.
1Pe 3:5 Long ago those women who worshiped God and put their hope in him made themselves beautiful by putting their husbands first.
1Pe 3:6 For example, Sarah obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her true children, if you do right and don't let anything frighten you.
1Pe 3:7 If you are a husband, you should be thoughtful of your wife. Treat her with honor, because she isn't as strong as you are, and she shares with you in the gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers.

We should honour God first then man!
Exactly Kevin .... Men make lots of rules and people think that they need to follow them but that is not what God wants . God wants us to live our lives to please Him , not to please self or others.

I was just reading this subject this morning and am glad you brought this up .
1 Thessalonians 4: 1-3
Living to Please God

1Finally, brothers, we instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more.
2For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.
3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;

The bottom line is : God does not exist to fulfill our purposes . We exist to fulfill His .It is not about us . It is about HIM .

Let God do His awesome work in yours and my life , trusting Him , following Him with a commitmentthat is pleasing in His sight .

I recognize , He is trying to change me . He is trying to change you . Let Him do His work in your life .

This subject will not effect our salvation but can lead to divisions or chaos in a church, so it is important that we address it carefully and with guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Exactly so why do we get all hung up topics that just bring discord as one thinks and the other thinks .... but what does God think ?

In the book of Acts, Gamaliel gave the Sanhedrin some very good advice concerning the apostles and the emerging church: "Leave these men alone! ... For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourself fighting against God." (Acts 5:38-39, NIV)

It seems to me that those who oppose women in ministry would be very wise to take the same advice. I can't help but wonder how much further the establishment of the Kingdom of God on earth would have progressed if those who spend so much time and energy "protecting" the Church from women preachers had instead put that time and energy into preaching the Gospel to the lost.

blessings,

Lynn

Thread Closed

MODERATOR'S COMMENT

This thread has been well discussed. Everyone has stated their views and no one is changing their minds.

With that in mind, it is the opinion of the Moderators, nothing further is to be gained and the thread will be closed.

If anyone wishes to add something to this thread that is of a differing viewpoint and has not already been covered, please let anyone on the Moderator Team know, and reopening of this thread will be considered.

We thank all who participated.

~staff file *5~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back