Couple of Genesis Questions

M

Mark_18

Couple of Genesis Questions

Gen. Ch. 9-

4 But you must never eat animals that still have their lifeblood in them.

What exactly does this mean?

5 And murder is forbidden. Animals that kill people must die, and any person who murders must be killed.
6 Yes, you must execute anyone who murders another person, for to kill a person is to kill a living being made in God's image.

I don't know what to say... :eek: Can someone explain, because this can't be right.

Gen 9:4 This can have two implications. Some say it was given to prevent cruelty to animals. The other implication is that blood is seen as life and blood was given as a sacrifice to God only. Jesus gave the ultimate and final sacrifice for mankind.

Gen 9: 5-6.

God had just destroyed the earth with a flood and established a new covenant with Noah. The act of murder is seen as a terrible sin because the results lead to the death of somebody created in the image of God.

Jesus mentioned this law and elaborated on it, but never took it away.

Mat 5: 21-22

Paul spoke about the authority of government and the authority of a Godly government to execute the wrath or punishment of God.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the higher authorities. For there is no authority but of God; the authorities that exist are ordained by God.
Rom 13:2 So that the one resisting the authority resists the ordinance of God; and the ones who resist will receive judgment to themselves.
Rom 13:3 For the rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the bad. And do you desire to be not afraid of the authority? Do the good, and you shall have praise from it.
Rom 13:4 For it is a servant of God to you for good. For if you practice evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword in vain; for it is a servant of God, a revenger for wrath on him who does evil.
Rom 13:5 Therefore you must be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

God gave these laws, it is not for us to wish them away but to obey them. If we obey them we have nothing to fear.

If the governments of today realised the responsibilty they had towards God then I think they would tremble in fear and change their ways.

If we look at how one evil king in Israel affected all the citizens, todays governments are going to be held responsible before God in a very serious way for what they have done in regards to executing Gods authority over the nations.

God is sovereign, everything we see and know, and things we cannot see and do not know are created by God and belong to Him.

Gen. Ch. 9-

4 But you must never eat animals that still have their lifeblood in them.

What exactly does this mean?

5 And murder is forbidden. Animals that kill people must die, and any person who murders must be killed.
6 Yes, you must execute anyone who murders another person, for to kill a person is to kill a living being made in God's image.

I don't know what to say... :eek: Can someone explain, because this can't be right.

Taken right from my study Bible:
What was wrong with bloody meat? 9:2
Life was to be treated as a gift from God. Under no circumstances was it to be regarded in a casual manner. Since the life of the flesh was in the blood, the meat had to be completely drained of its blood before it could be eaten.

Does God hold animals accountable for their deeds? 9:5
Yes, in a sense of being subject to possible punishment. Naturally, animals would not "understand" guilt in the same way humans do. However, just as persons must not treat the blood of animals carelessly by leaving it in the meat they are eating, so animals are to be held accountable for the blood of human beings. This principle was formalized in the Law of Moses in Exodus 21:28-29

Why does killing require more killing? 9:6
To instill within people a respect for the image of God in all people. Capital punishment was required because human life is sacred; to destroy human life is to attack the image of God. Such a terrible offense could only be rectified by offering the life of the murderer back to God. Without such a standard, human life would be cheapended and humane causes such as civil rights, gender rights, and children's rights would suffer. Some beleive Jesus later changed the way criminal code was to be used.

Hope this helped. May I reccomend Quest Study Bible? It answers almost any question you can think of!!!

War and execution are not considered murder. The bible even distinguishes between murder and manslaughter.

Also, remember, these things were in Genesis. First book of the Bible. Some of the things written in it were probably meant for that time. Like my Bible said, Jesus might have changed some things.

Jesus Himself never condemned war or executuion.

The life is in the blood as scripture declares and there is certainly one blood of which we are to pratake:
Joh 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Joh 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
Joh 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

Back