Covid-19 Vaccine.. are we to stay away from it or does God say it's safe to get the vaccine?

I was just curious what God says we should be doing in these crazy times as far as the flu vaccine goes and the vaccine for Covid-19. If it becomes something mandatory should we take that as a sign that this is something we need to stay away from. Or does God encourage us to get the vaccine to stay safe and healthy? I have always gotten the flu shot and never got sick for the past 7 years now because before the flu shots I would always end up with the flu and it would last like two long weeks of hell. But this year I'm kind of skeptical with this Covid disaster that I'm not sure if I want any of the vaccines because I don't trust the government or our health officials and I just don't know what to do but I do know I don't want to make any mistakes that could harm me later or my health! Thank you!

Why don't you trust your govt?? Or your health officials??
Just wondering.

Well today we had a man die of covid-19 in my city so am very sad for all Aucklanders because it was a community case and we don't really know how he got it. All he did was go to work.
I would definitely get a vaccine because we KNOW that vaccines work and are the best defense against a virus, rather than any other kind of treatment. I wouldn't go swallowing bleach as some people tried to joke.

People that are anti vac are kind of weird its like they not only don't care about themselves they don't care about others, which is kind of strange. Children in Samoa who didn't get vaccinated from the measles, ended up getting measles. And dying. Not because they were anti-vac at all but they just didn't KNOW and their parents didn't know. If you KNOW it can prevent you from getting sick and then actually refuse to get the treatment then it's really on YOU if you spread the disease to others! How selfish is that???

If I get nits in my hair..I make sure I get it treated. Why, because I don't want to spread it to others. And if I know how to prevent it, I make sure I take those measures. I do my research on what the best thing to do is. Got nothing to do with government or health officials it's just common sense.

I think we should not text God and we should always take precautions. Not taking the vaccine is testing God. The bible says thou shalt not test the Lord God.
I would do both, pray on it and also take precautions as the world says, it mean that we will have a more definite safety when it comes to this virus.

I used to be all about anti vaxx, and had a spell with conspiracy theories, but the Lord sorted all that out.
It came to my attention that these suits we wear are just not suitable forever and that’s the way the Lord made them.
its not some conspiracy to keep us hooked on vaccines for a money making profit, it’s because our bodies are prone to real diseases here on earth

The thing is, in the USA, this has become a thing to fight about. We seem to draw battle lines for every question. Some think that the dangers of Covid-19 are over-stated and refuse to do things like wear masks. Some think that we are not taking it seriously enough.

There is so much hype and cherry-picking and spinning the news and what passes for science in today’s discourse that it is hard to come to a straightforward reasoned set of facts. There is so much riding on this that I do wonder if the safety checks and evaluations of effectivity have been compromised.

Pilots call the impulse to fly despite adverse conditions “Go-Itus”. They point out that it is much better to be down here wishing you were up there than to be up there wishing you were down here.

I am old enough to remember the tragedy of Thalidimide where the supposed cancer fighting drug caused a massive amount of tragic birth defects. One thing that apparently led to this tragedy was the lure of a cure for cancer over-rode a more cautious testing approach.

So, for myself I will watch what happens closely when a vaccine is announced. I will try to look at abstracts designed for physicians regarding what kind of vaccine it is, and how it is thought to work. I will watch closely the results of the vaccine and what unintended consequences crop up.

In the mean-time, though many here do not like the government saying what businesses may open, or mandate the wearing of masks, I will respect the authority of government to deal with the current situation as it seems proper to the officials tasked with promoting general good.

1 Peter 2:13-15
13Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority,
14 or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.
15 For  such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men.

Note that nothing here says submit unless you do not like the rules.

A vaccine is a bit different from a drug. Please do your research.
In basic terms a vaccine is when you inject a weakened part of the pathogen (in this case, the virus) into your body so that YOUR can create the specific antibodies to fight it. This way, you can have immunity. And it will stay with you for LIFE so that you will not succumb to the disease, because it works on the cellular level.

A drug does not do this, it's a chemical purported to fight or eliminate the disease and does NOT do the same job as an antibody does, because it will go after the symptoms, NOT the virus itself. That is why people need to keep on taking drugs over and over the course of the disease, to treat the symptoms, but does nothing to prevent or stop a virus in its tracks. Drugs are at most, palliative care. They are not a cure.

It is your body's immune system that fights the disease, not the drug. The drug can help your body not be so overwhelmed with symptoms, but it can't do the job your immune system is meant to do.

As far as I know, no govt has asked everyone to take drugs to fight coronavirus. What most are doing is asking people to get TESTED.
Vacines as far as I know, DO work. Deadly and devastating illnesses like smallpox and measles and polio have virtually been eliminated in countries where children have been vaccinated. (They strike children early) Children develop immunity so even if they happen to be infected they are more likely to overcome it.

This is what you want, immunity. We know when people do NOT have immunity to a disease, it's very easy to spread and many needless casualties result. You don't have to keep taking a vaccine over and over like you do a drug. It's not a pain reliever.

A vaccine is a bit different from a drug. Please do your research.
In basic terms a vaccine is when you inject a weakened part of the pathogen (in this case, the virus) into your body so that YOUR can create the specific antibodies to fight it. This way, you can have immunity. And it will stay with you for LIFE so that you will not succumb to the disease, because it works on the cellular level.

A drug does not do this, it's a chemical purported to fight or eliminate the disease and does NOT do the same job as an antibody does, because it will go after the symptoms, NOT the virus itself. That is why people need to keep on taking drugs over and over the course of the disease, to treat the symptoms, but does nothing to prevent or stop a virus in its tracks. Drugs are at most, palliative care. They are not a cure.

It is your body's immune system that fights the disease, not the drug. The drug can help your body not be so overwhelmed with symptoms, but it can't do the job your immune system is meant to do.

Actually, modern vaccines are often quite different. The Idea is still to cause the body to fight the medicine, but the concept of a weakened form of the virus is somewhat dated and very simplistic. What often happens now is that after studying how a virus works (how it attaches to which kinds of cells), and how it then reproduces, etc), they find chemical ways of making the body react as if infected without actually using a 'weakened' virus.

Regardless, a vaccine is administered to an otherwise healthy person and that person risks whatever dangers itinerant in the process.

According to the US Health & Human Services, there are 4 approaches to making a vaccine.

HHS Vaccine Types

The First is a Live attenuated or 'weakened' virus. Considering the simple form of viruses, making a weakened one is not as straight forward as one may think.

The Second is an inactivated (dead) virus.

The term 'live' and 'dead' in these cases are kind of misnomers, since outside of a host, a virus is not normally considered 'live'.

The third kind of vaccine is creating only a piece of the virus that is chemically responded to by the body as the whole.

The fourth kind of vaccine is to replicate the toxins that the virus produces to stimulate the body's immune system.

All of these assume that the body can produce the proper immune response. It is not clear at this point that this will be the case in any clinically significant measure.

All of these also have various problems with such things as not being attenuated enough of being too attenuated or not dead enough.

I am not usually anti-VAX.

I am not really here.

But I am cautious and intend to see positive results for persons like me (older with additional health issues) before I wish to recieve a vaccine that has been rushed to the market.

mm well if the vaccine is only a chemical copy of the virus it actually ISNT a vaccine technically it's a drug and won't be effective.
Why because the vaccine can only produce antibodies if the virus strain is genotypically the same.

So be careful what you are calling 'vaccines'.

According to the US Health & Human Services, there are 4 approaches to making a vaccine.

HHS Vaccine Types

The First is a Live attenuated or 'weakened' virus. Considering the simple form of viruses, making a weakened one is not as straight forward as one may think.

The Second is an inactivated (dead) virus.

The term 'live' and 'dead' in these cases are kind of misnomers, since outside of a host, a virus is not normally considered 'live'.

The third kind of vaccine is creating only a piece of the virus that is chemically responded to by the body as the whole.

The fourth kind of vaccine is to replicate the toxins that the virus produces to stimulate the body's immune system.

All of these assume that the body can produce the proper immune response. It is not clear at this point that this will be the case in any clinically significant measure.

All of these also have various problems with such things as not being attenuated enough of being too attenuated or not dead enough.

I am not usually anti-VAX.

I am not really here.

But I am cautious and intend to see positive results for persons like me (older with additional health issues) before I wish to recieve a vaccine that has been rushed to the market.

I am right there with you. My wife and I have age, and medical concerns like you.

My next door neighbor is a medical doctor. She has advised me to wait 3 months after a vacccine is made and distributed. That should allow for any complications to show up in people like you and me.

Actually, modern vaccines are often quite different. The Idea is still to cause the body to fight the medicine, but the concept of a weakened form of the virus is somewhat dated and very simplistic. What often happens now is that after studying how a virus works (how it attaches to which kinds of cells), and how it then reproduces, etc), they find chemical ways of making the body react as if infected without actually using a 'weakened' virus.

Regardless, a vaccine is administered to an otherwise healthy person and that person risks whatever dangers itinerant in the process.

Many years ago I took a vaccine that was said to keep me from getting ugly. It did not work!

mm well if the vaccine is only a chemical copy of the virus it actually ISNT a vaccine technically it's a drug and won't be effective.
Why because the vaccine can only produce antibodies if the virus strain is genotypically the same.

So be careful what you are calling 'vaccines'.
Yea, definitions can be important. The definitions I posted are from official Health and Human Services materials, and if anyone is an authority on what a vaccine is, I would accept them. In this case, the HHS may be adopting less precise but better understood terminology. Or, the definition of vaccine may be keeping in step with technology.

As far as which of the 4 types identified in the Health & Human Services website as vaccines, I would doubt that the covid-19 variety would be either the weak or dead versions of the virus. Such attenuated vaccines are usually developed for germ diseases (not for viruses). The fourth variety using toxins directly or indirectly doesn't seem to fit either. Of course, I have no real knowledge of what kind of vaccine may be produced, or if will be effective or for how long.

That leaves the third kind that uses advanced techniques borrowed from the genetic research that cut or tear the proteins of the virus. These proteins and protein fragments may then be recognized by the body to stimulate antibodies.

Currently, antibody studies have not shown that immunity from covid-19 is either reliably produced, nor long lasting even if produced. There have been small scale studies on recovered patients (and their plasma), but no reproducible results have emerged.

But it is still only 9-10 months since covid was recognized. We are still learning and there are very bright people working on this around the world. Along the way, expect seemingly conflicting and inconsistent reports as different teams report their findings. It may take a variety of results before we can meaningfully deduce the pattern and nail down reliable information which can then be organized into more clear knowledge.

Many grow restless as advice changes as we learn more about the virus and as we observe how is moves thru society.

Have patience. Follow guidance, even if it changes. This is often the way true research works.

Well you need to wait anyway for results to show its effective and the vacinne to be readily available. I would certainly advise caution to what people are saying is a miracle cure or vaccine when it's not or its just a drug to mask symptoms.

If it really IS effective I would suppose that everyone would be getting vaccinated/immunised to prevent further spread. And this covid-19 is so easily spread - it's highly contagious.

On a different topic, anybody remember the AIDS epidemic of the early 90s. Mostly Americans died of it, but it also had a huge impact in Africa.

Something like HIV, we know does NOT have a vaccine at all because of the nature of the virus is that it destroys the immune system. It can only be treated with drugs and the only way to prevent it is to not expose yourself to it via blood or bodily fluids. And yes some people might not even know they have it and spread it to other people. Which is why people should be tested, if they'd had any sexual contact with anyone known to be infected. Or even if they DIDN'T know. I don't know if people do this though and say well I slept with x number of people and now I have HIV, I need to contact all my previous partners I slept with and ask them to get tested.

But that is the reality my generation faced and people wonder why the younger generation do NOT want to start families or even date. Because we were told by the older generation to 'practice SAFE sex' because the older generation were actually dying from it. Which was I found highly ironic.

When a little girl called Eve Van Grafthforst from Australia was refused treatment for aids in Australia, she came to nz to get treated. In Australia was a huge stigma associated with AIDS as it was thought only gay people got it. She wasn't allowed to go to school in Australia for fear she would infect other children. Well she got it from a contaminated blood transfusion.
In NZ she was treated as normal and went to school and was instrumental in raising awareness about AIDs. She died at 9 years old. The entire nation mourned.

HIV is still around people. And it has no vaccine. You can treat it with drugs, but you need to be on drugs for the rest of your life.

I am right there with you. My wife and I have age, and medical concerns like you.

My next door neighbor is a medical doctor. She has advised me to wait 3 months after a vacccine is made and distributed. That should allow for any complications to show up in people like you and me.
Yup I'm gonna wait n see what happens. I ain't no spring chicken either lol. The thing that scares me is they can't make up their mind . I just practice good hygiene. It's what has kept me healthy.

I can fully understand not having the vaccine.

Our scientists work hard to combat these situations and I would rather hear it from them if they would have one first.
If enough of them do, I would too

Back