Curious

Dusty

Inactive
Curious

Matthew 4:7-9
7Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'

8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Ok my question ?????

Why did satan tell Jesus he would give Him the world ?

Did he not know that Jesus was the Son of God and already owned the world ?

Or was it because satan has been given time to rule the earth so he thought he owned it ?

Just my opinion- Adam had dominion over the Earth. That authority seems to have been ceeded to satan as mans fall.

Satan is called "the god of this world" in 2 Cor. 4:4. So, because of that he felt he could give what he thought he owned.

Matthew 4:7-9
7Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'

8Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.

9"All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

Ok my question ?????

Why did satan tell Jesus he would give Him the world ?

Did he not know that Jesus was the Son of God and already owned the world ?

Or was it because satan has been given time to rule the earth so he thought he owned it ?

I believe satan was in control of the powers that be in the world and is still on control of the powers that be in the world. Our kingdom is not of this world and we should be loyal to our King of Kings Jesus.

When Jesus returns the satan will be removed from His manipulative position and cast down into the bottomless pit. Until then satan is the unseen hand that controls the powers on the earth.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Maybe the key is of the world and all it`s splendor. I`m guessing this refers to worldly spendor, like gold and such, and all the kingdoms that are brillliant with this sort of splendor. Jesus response is to give scripture: for it is written, Worship the Lord your God and serve only him. This is Jesus rejecting worldly values, ways, esteem, and wholely worships God, and also showing us in action the importance of knowing the Word of God, being able to refer to scripture, so we can first of all, nourish our spiritual truth, and also use it to successfully reject the enemy and send him on his way. I`m thinking it speaks to the rejection of idolotry. I think this is Jesus demonstrating that he does not put high value worldly things.

Satan does own the worldly kingdoms, for whoever gives themselves to worldly things and worldly splendor gives themselves to the enemy. God`s values are so very different than the worlds. I take the temptation of Christ to be a sort of handbook on how to do what we need to do as Christians. Not saying I`m right, but it does demonstrate the three repeated priorities of God throughout the Bible, and the fundamental challenges of Christians.

I was also thinking that possibly satan did not really know who Jesus was and was testing Him to see if He really was the Son of God .

But I love the answer that dchena gave ;

Maybe the key is of the world and all it`s splendor. I`m guessing this refers to worldly spendor, like gold and such, and all the kingdoms that are brillliant with this sort of splendor. Jesus response is to give scripture: for it is written, Worship the Lord your God and serve only him. This is Jesus rejecting worldly values, ways, esteem, and wholely worships God, and also showing us in action the importance of knowing the Word of God, being able to refer to scripture, so we can first of all, nourish our spiritual truth, and also use it to successfully reject the enemy and send him on his way. I`m thinking it speaks to the rejection of idolotry. I think this is Jesus demonstrating that he does not put high value worldly things.

Satan does own the worldly kingdoms, for whoever gives themselves to worldly things and worldly splendor gives themselves to the enemy. God`s values are so very different than the worlds. I take the temptation of Christ to be a sort of handbook on how to do what we need to do as Christians. Not saying I`m right, but it does demonstrate the three repeated priorities of God throughout the Bible, and the fundamental challenges of Christians

I would propose that he was trying to "give" Jesus something he did not possess. He just said it to see if he could trip Jesus up, like he did when he lied to Eve and said it was not so. Maybe Jesus was tempted to back-hand him.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Let us all remember that satan is the father of all lies. Jesus was tempted in all ways. Whether satan had the right to offer the world to Jesus is highly debatable but always remember satan is a liar and always will be.

Satan lied to Eve, none of the promises he told her came to be. In fact the complete opposite happened.

The point is that when satan offered Jesus the world in return for worship. This was an attempt to see if Jesus had any pride in Him.

The answer Jesus gave satan actually declares that Jesus knew He had authority over satan and that Jesus knew that God was to be worshipped only. Jesus knew satan was incorrect and actually rebuked him.

Then Jesus said to him, Go, Satan! For it is written, "You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve."

Eph 1:17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,
Eph 1:18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened, that you may know what is the hope of His calling, and what is the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us, the ones believing according to the working of His mighty strength
Eph 1:20 which He worked in Christ in raising Him from the dead, and He seated Him at His right hand in the heavenlies,
Eph 1:21 far above all principality and authority and power and dominion, and every name being named, not only in this world, but also in the coming age.
Eph 1:22 And He has put all things under His feet and gave Him to be Head over all things to the church,
Eph 1:23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

I think the devil knew that JESUS would not do it, but he has no knowledge of the heart right? so if he could not see into the heart of JESUS or anyone he will still try to tempt and manipulate.

Just to add something to everything else that was said, I think this passage from Daniel might help:

"[T]he Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of men." (Daniel 4:17)

This makes me think that Satan was really attempting to lie to Jesus to try to induce him to sin.

Back