Currently Doing Research On Biblical Slavery.

All of this slavery stuff is great if you are a Jew, Muslim or Heretic.

But as Christians, it violates the Second Great Commandment. And therefore breaks the First as well.

One thing to keep in mind the word "slave" means to work. If you are employed by a company, you are their "slave" or in other words, you slave for them and they pay you for it. Many times the Bible is talking about work when it is mentioned.

Much of the Old Testament is a history book. When the mention of owning a slave is in the Old Testament, it's not much different from studying it in your high school history class. I hear people say that the Bible teaches us to own slaves and I tell them, "no more than your high school history book did."

One thing to keep in mind the word "slave" means to work. If you are employed by a company, you are their "slave" or in other words, you slave for them and they pay you for it. Many times the Bible is talking about work when it is mentioned.

Much of the Old Testament is a history book. When the mention of owning a slave is in the Old Testament, it's not much different from studying it in your high school history class. I hear people say that the Bible teaches us to own slaves and I tell them, "no more than your high school history book did."

In every instance when scriptures talks of a servant in the context of slavery it means the lowest servant of all. It does mean a slave by either conquest or indentured servitude.

An employee is NOT an indentured servant, even though it feels that way at times. Nor a slave.

Employer/employee status is a contracted service for pay settlement. It is not a system of ownership by the employer due to acquisition nor from repayment of debt.

Completely different context.

In every instance when scriptures talks of a servant in the context of slavery it means the lowest servant of all. It does mean a slave by either conquest or indentured servitude.

An employee is NOT an indentured servant, even though it feels that way at times. Nor a slave.

Employer/employee status is a contracted service for pay settlement. It is not a system of ownership by the employer due to acquisition nor from repayment of debt.

Completely different context.
Please do a little research on this. Yes, if you are working for someone, you are a slave to them.
Example, "the borrower is a 'slave' to the lender." That means that if you have a loan, you work for the bank.

Dictionary.com says, and I quote: "Slavery as it existed under the Mosaic law has no modern parallel."

Please do a little research on this. Yes, if you are working for someone, you are a slave to them.
Example, "the borrower is a 'slave' to the lender." That means that if you have a loan, you work for the bank.

Dictionary.com says, and I quote: "Slavery as it existed under the Mosaic law has no modern parallel."

Have you done yours?

Here have a gander at this:

1. For the purposes of this Convention the term forced or compulsory labour shall mean all work or service which is exacted from any person under the menace of any penalty and for which the said person has not offered himself voluntarily.

2. Nevertheless, for the purposes of this Convention, the term forced or compulsory labour shall not include--

(a) any work or service exacted in virtue of compulsory military service laws for work of a purely military character;

(b) any work or service which forms part of the normal civic obligations of the citizens of a fully self-governing country;

(c) any work or service exacted from any person as a consequence of a conviction in a court of law, provided that the said work or service is carried out under the supervision and control of a public authority and that the said person is not hired to or placed at the disposal of private individuals, companies or associations;

(d) any work or service exacted in cases of emergency, that is to say, in the event of war or of a calamity or threatened calamity, such as fire, flood, famine, earthquake, violent epidemic or epizootic diseases, invasion by animal, insect or vegetable pests, and in general any circumstance that would endanger the existence or the well-being of the whole or part of the population;

(e) minor communal services of a kind which, being performed by the members of the community in the direct interest of the said community, can therefore be considered as normal civic obligations incumbent upon the members of the community, provided that the members of the community or their direct representatives shall have the right to be consulted in regard to the need for such services.

Adopted by the General Conference of the International Labour Organisation on 28 June 1930

Entered into force on 1 May 1932

Employment is NOT slavery as employment is voluntarily agreed upon by the worker and the employer.
Nothing restrains the employee to remain at a job, they made quit and find another or simply stop work entirely. Their choice. Slaves HAVE no choice.

I hear people say that the Bible teaches us to own slaves and I tell them, "no more than your high school history book did."

Excellent statement, although I have to disagree on slavery being the same as employment.

I hear people say that the Bible teaches us to own slaves and I tell them, "no more than your high school history book did."

Excellent statement, although I have to disagree on slavery being the same as employment.

Here the crux, you can walk away from a job freely.

In slavery you have to run for your life. Caught you could be taken back, tortured or killed.

Employers just replace you with a lower paid person.

Not the same.

\
Here the crux, you can walk away from a job freely.

In slavery you have to run for your life. Caught you could be taken back, tortured or killed.

Employers just replace you with a lower paid person.

Not the same.

Actually I saw a great video on this topic. It has to do about if you really own yourself. I send you a link

Turns out no one really owns themselves

Bible rules and customs regarding slaves(*hebrew, ** foreign & ***ALL)

Ok it's a little premature but here is the second part of my research.
Please feel free to add points and corrections

Genesis 1: before the fall there were 0 slaves.

Genesis 17.23-... Then Abraham took his son Ishmael and all the slaves born in his house or bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham’s house, and he circumcised the flesh of their foreskins that very day, as God had said to him. 24 Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 25 And his son Ishmael was thirteen years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. 26 That very day Abraham and his son Ishmael were circumcised; 27 and all the men of his house, slaves born in the house and those bought with money from a foreigner, were circumcised with him.

This should be obvious, on the seventh day everyone rested. Pretty neat, slaves do not have to work on the sabbath. Exodus 20:10

Genesis 24.52-67... quote too long click link. Woman could make choices and owned slaves.

***Exodus 21.20-21- 20 When a slave owner strikes a male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies immediately, the owner shall be punished. 21 But if the slave survives a day or two, there is no punishment; for the slave is the owner’s property.

-Slave may not be beaten to death and the owner will get the death penalty. If the slave survives a day or two than the benefit of the doubt is given that the owner did not intend to kill the slave. The man will also lose his property Also interesting note on sacred-text website. The owner is not guilty in civil court but is a murderer in the eyes of god. Furthermore it should be noted that this verse, regardless of translation, does not say beating slaves is a morally correct practice.

***Alternate translation of Exodus 21.20-21- When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod, and the slave dies under his abuse,[a] the owner must be punished.[b]21 However, if the slave can stand up after a day or two, the owner should not be punished[c] because he is his owner’s property.[d]

-The reason for this translation is based on the hebrew words and the context of this entire chapter. Basically the entire context has to deal with the different applications of certain laws to individuals of different social and economic class. I would suggest reading the entire chapter to see all the examples. Basically punishment for a regular person is described and then punishment for a pregnant woman, slave, or animal is described in that order. So since Exodus 21.18-19 is translated as
When individuals quarrel and one strikes the other with a stone or fist so that the injured party, though not dead, is confined to bed, 19 but recovers and walks around outside with the help of a staff, then the assailant shall be free of liability, except to pay for the loss of time, and to arrange for full recovery.” [nrsv]

The second reason for this is the hebrew word ‘amad which literally means to stand. This element is also found in the previous law except with the use of a different word, but this word also means to stand. Most of the times when things are repeated words will be replace or dropped and synonyms will be used. This translation is accepted by the following bible versions: NLT, NIV,HCSB,

***Exodus 21.26-27- 26 When a slave owner strikes the eye of a male or female slave, destroying it, the owner shall let the slave go, a free person, to compensate for the eye. 27 If the owner knocks out a tooth of a male or female slave, the slave shall be let go, a free person, to compensate for the tooth.

-there is a general relationship to the code of lex talionis . It is likely that any personal injury that is severe will be punishable. [OAB:NRSV, p.113]

***Deut 23.15-16: 15 Slaves[‘ebed] who have escaped to you from their owners shall not be given back to them. 16 They shall reside with you, in your midst, in any place they choose in any one of your towns, wherever they please; you shall not oppress them.

-[OAB:NRSV]States that “The law rejects the almost universal stipulation within ANE law that escaped slaves must be returned [p.288]

Leviticus 19.33-34:When an alien [ger] resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien. 34 The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

***Exodus 12.43-49 43 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron: This is the ordinance for the passover: no foreigner shall eat of it, 44 but any slave who has been purchased may eat of it after he has been circumcised; 45 no bound or hired servant may eat of it. 46 It shall be eaten in one house; you shall not take any of the animal outside the house, and you shall not break any of its bones. 47 The whole congregation of Israel shall celebrate it. 48 If an alien who resides with you wants to celebrate the passover to the Lord, all his males shall be circumcised; then he may draw near to celebrate it; he shall be regarded as a native of the land. But no uncircumcised person shall eat of it; 49 there shall be one law for the native and for the alien who resides among you

-Slaves can join the covenant, but had to be circumcised. Bound servants could not however...strange. Probably pertains to being in debt.

*** Exodus 20.8-11 Remember the sabbath day, and keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work. 10 But the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and consecrated it.

***Leviticus 25:39

*Deut 15.12-15: If a member of your community, whether a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold[a] to you and works for you six years, in the seventh year you shall set that person free. 13 And when you send a male slave[b] out from you a free person, you shall not send him out empty-handed. 14 Provide liberally out of your flock, your threshing floor, and your wine press, thus giving to him some of the bounty with which the Lord your God has blessed you. 15 Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; for this reason I lay this command upon you today

***Job 31.15: If I have rejected the cause of my male or female slaves[‘amah],

when they brought a complaint against me;

14 what then shall I do when God rises up?

When he makes inquiry, what shall I answer him?

15 Did not he who made me in the womb make them?

And did not one fashion us in the womb?

*Slaves could complain to their masters, it was seen as admirable to listen, and lastly slaves were seen as equal. [OAB:NRSV] “13-15 Job goes far beyond the obligations of his time in admitting that slaves have any rights and in affirming their common humanity with him”.

***Exodus 21.16: Whoever kidnaps a person, whether that person has been sold or is still held in possession, shall be put to death.

*It should be noted that prisoners of war were kidnapped, but this was seen as an act of mercy. Also note we are not discussing whether or not the war against the canaanites was moral, but rather the idea of enslaving. Oh and any comments and emails I see trying to change the subject will be ignored and not responded to...in this section.

**Leviticus 19.29: prohibits “pimping” out girls.

Citations:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Hjks_TlK7qK-MAnNY3mdIo8EdN3fVmkMueHBKCzWzY/edit

????

I'm a little confused about how this conversation got here

The person on your video, likes to run around in circles.

In doing so he ends up nowhere. Hence why he thinks no one can own themselves.

If that is the case, then Jesus cannot judge us because we are not responsible for ourselves because we do not own ourselves and our actions.

Circular logic is not logic at all, it is merely spurious.

The person on your video, likes to run around in circles.

In doing so he ends up nowhere. Hence why he thinks no one can own themselves.

If that is the case, then Jesus cannot judge us because we are not responsible for ourselves because we do not own ourselves and our actions.

Circular logic is not logic at all, it is merely spurious.

I'd rather not get into this because this is off topic. All I will say is that I disagree

Actually, you are incorrect. The dictionary gives a few definitions for the word, but none of them specially say "to work". The definition is more geared to being the property of someone.

b53c09ee88dfdcaebde438c7bc691f34.png

Actually, you are incorrect. The dictionary gives a few definitions for the word, but none of them specially say "to work". The definition is more geared to being the property of someone.

b53c09ee88dfdcaebde438c7bc691f34.png
So, if you borrow money from someone, they own you. The Bible says that the borrower is slave to the lender.

I'm not incorrect.

So, if you borrow money from someone, they own you. The Bible says that the borrower is slave to the lender.

I'm not incorrect.
Can you post what you are referencing. I find all of this very interesting.

Keep in mind this was written during a time when language was not as advanced. Also many words such as 'ereb meant a wide variety of things such as man servant, slave, bondservant, etc.

Can you post what you are referencing. I find all of this very interesting.

I tried several times to upload an image but I kept getting an error. Just go to this page and go about half way down and look at #2.

It really doesn't matter because as Brian said, it has changed so much. And as I said, if every time the Bible talked about being a slave, then you would be owned by the bank if you had any type of loan according to the Bible.

Yes, I have. Keep in mind, when you are employed, your time is owned by someone else. You are their "slave" from the time you "clock in" until you "clock out".

And at any time without fear or threat you can walk away and get another job.

Slaves, cannot do that.

You are NOT a slave.

Back